Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

05 Foreman 500

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Foreman 500

Ok, I've decided on the Foreman already and went on a test drive. They didn't have the manual and, really, was impressed with the electronic shift. Thoughts on the ES model everybody.

Code 54, I'm trying to include a dealer close to you with low out the door prices.

www.southernhonda.com

www.ritchiepowersports.com

They advertise low prices and no hidden costs but call first to check on availability. I'd drive 300 miles to save $500.

Old 05-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default 05 Foreman 500

JeffinTD - You are correct the Rubicon is liquid cooled, where as the Foreman 500 manual and ES shifters are air and oil cooled. I find this to be a BIG plus. I have a Prairie 650 right now and the cooling system has been a BIG pain in the butt. The dealer (under ext. warranty) ahs dumped over $500 just in parts in the thing.

1Mainiac - Thanks for the info! If it comes down to 100's of dollars I will be hitting the road for sure! It would be worth the drive then! Thanks for the pricing info - gives me more room to deal!
Thanks

Old 05-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default 05 Foreman 500

I will probably be deciding between the foreman and the 500 h.o sportsman at some point. I have owned a 400 foreman before. The Honda definitely has a good track record for reliability, but from what I understand lags in ride comfort and ground clearance. Nothing more simple than a good manual shift Honda though.

Old 05-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default 05 Foreman 500

I must admit I wish the honda a bit more ground clearence and a front locker. The good thing is high lifter had the locker and it is not too terriable, as for G.C. guess I will need to improve my riding. I used to have a Rancher and was always able to get around everywhere so I figure it should be fine.... If nothing else, if it runs like the old ones it should be a good ride for a LOT of years to come!

Anyone try a set of BigHorns on the Foreman - if so how does it affect the handling?

Old 05-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default 05 Foreman 500

Code54, have you had problems with your prairie? I'm not even sure I will get another atv, but I have full confidence in the Honda for longevitiy. I'm a little concerned about the sportsman on reliability, but I do like the reputation for ride comfort along with the storage and ground clearance. You are probably right, I don't think I got into many situations with my 400 foreman that I would have needed the extra clearance. It's just that the older I get, the more appreciation I have for comfort[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] One rider in atv magazine described the Honda ride as "pure punishment" in extreme conditions. This was a stretch of trail they called "a 75 yard pit from hell with rocks the size of 50cc youth quads". This was also with the racks well loaded. I don't think I will ever ride such conditions, so the more I think about it, the more I lean toward Honda. It would be nice if they offered the 4x4 in blue soon. You can get the 2wd in blue.....what's up with that?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] My red 400 faded horribly.

Old 05-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default 05 Foreman 500

Originally posted by: 1Mainiac
Ok, I've decided on the Foreman already and went on a test drive. They didn't have the manual and, really, was impressed with the electronic shift. Thoughts on the ES model everybody.

Code 54, I'm trying to include a dealer close to you with low out the door prices.

www.southernhonda.com

www.ritchiepowersports.com

They advertise low prices and no hidden costs but call first to check on availability. I'd drive 300 miles to save $500.
I bought my Rubicon at Ritchie. I can recommend them, they treated me well and the price they advertise is the price you pay.

There are a couple of other super-low cost dealers that may be a little closer to you:

Lake Hill in Cornith, MS
Abernathys in Union City, TN

Good Luck!

Old 05-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default 05 Foreman 500

Thanks "RSEB" for the links - it is helpful to know what I can get it for so I can compair my local dealer.

As for the Prairie - I have had some problems - the fan switch died and I had to limp it back to avoid overheating the bike. Then the whole radiator went (entire bottom leaked at the seam), it is currently in being repaired as we speak. (Lost use of it for almost 4 weeks) I do have the ext. warranty so that was a BIG help seeing I did not have to pay anything. A radiator for the Praire was $478.00, the switch was $56, that does not include labor.
I am also not a big fan of the auto tranny - it is noisy!!! Kind of wines even when the adjustment of the belt deflection is perfect. Some say this is caused by the way the gears are cut but I do not know for sure. This limits the ATV for hunting or wildlife viewing applications, they all make noise but mine is fairly darn loud.

As for Sportsmans - I have not owned one but I sure have seen a lot of broken ones and have read SO many people complaining about problems with them. If it was not for the weight and the problems I also would have considered one.

I think we read the same article, and I walked away thinking it may have a lot to do with the racks being loaded down. I carry minor survival gear (about 10lbs - food, firestarters, emer. blanket, first aid eqpt. etc...) and some tools, so I figure I am not maxing the racks out with weight. Also another options would be to put aftermarket shocks on it down the road if you feel it is too rough. I am not sure if the Foreman has preload Adj. shocks or not. I just looked at the sales material and noticed that it does not give any details. If they are Adj. without any weight on the racks it may be possible to soften them up a bit and get a bit better ride. Also everyone claims radial tires help improve ride quality a good bit.

My big question is should I get the green in case I want to take it hunting, or that Yellow is sort of neat, hummmm, that Red is not bad neither.....

Old 05-02-2005, 12:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 05 Foreman 500

Looking at mine, I don't think the shocks are adjustable.

I also don't think the thing has a bad ride compared to any other SRA quad...