Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Embarissing Moments

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2000, 07:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man it was steep! I made it to the tree and stopped. (Big mistake!) I picked out a way around the tree and hit the gas. NOTHING! The trail was soupy because of all the rain we had. My GDY tracker tires just sat there spinning. (needed some vampires) Once I decided, there was no way I was going forward, I started thinking of how I was going to get down. So here I sat holding every brake I could find and I yelled "I'm in trouble!" The other guys had already figured this out and were on their way back down. Every time I tried to ease her down by letting off the brake, I would begin rolling too fast. I would have to give it the gas to help slow me down (I was still in first gear). I decided with my bad brakes this was not the best idea so I began turning to the right and was going to give it the gas and do a little spin move on the side of the hill. ( you know like that thing Bo Jackson did that time he caught that ball and ran up the wall.)ha ha Well I had not seen a rock behind me but my right rear tire found it. The old blue Honda who had just turned ten years old, flipped on me. It rolled over me and the next thing I saw was the back rack. I reached for it, but it was too late.

Old 10-06-2000, 07:31 PM
Trailblazer

I missed the back rack and she took off. It was tumbling down the hill and headed towards the woods line. I thought "OK, it will go into the woods and hit a tree and it would be over." WRONG! It turned and stayed in the cleared pipeline and kept flipping. I did not realize it but Don, who was on a Honda 300 2X4, was stuck on the logging trail that Todd and I had stopped on half way up. His '91 300 was sitting broad-side directly in the path of this runaway five hundred pound plus bowling ball. Don, standing behind his ATV, didn't know which way to run. He finally could tell that it was going to go to his left and he went right. Old blue missed his ATV by a couple of feet as it went by horizontally. It would come down and hit popping up and doing multiple flips before starting the horrific cycle again. Todd and John had made it safely back down the hill and witnessed what was happening. At one point, since the angle of the hill was so steep, it was more than 20 yards between each time it touched down. I can't tell you what a horrible feeling it is watching your ATV go through this. It seemed like it would never end. Finally, after taking a 40 foot freefall into a creek it landed on its tires and did one last flip to end up upside down. John walked over to the wreck site and looked up at me and simply said, "It's totalled Jay!" We estimated later that it had flipped approx. 120 yards down that hill. I am a bow hunter, and I'm pretty good at guessing distances. When I got to it, the front tires were off the rims. The rear axle was bent. The right side upper and lower A-arms were bent. The handle bars were pushed down on to the gas tank. The front and back racks were rounded on all sides because they were taking the brunt of the blows. We turned it over and looked at it as if it were a dead dog. Todd hit the switch and she fired right up. We stood there simply amazed.

Old 10-06-2000, 07:34 PM
Range Rover

No Fear, it's an inside joke. Sorry if I caused you any pain.

Old 10-06-2000, 07:46 PM
Trailblazer

We walked it out of the creek and over to the logging road. Ofcourse I could not ride it home so Don and John headed back to get a truck to haul it home. I felt awful. I was mad at myself for letting it happen. IT WAS A POOR DECISION!
I have repaired all the damage now and have taken it back to ride with my Ohio friends. They all looked at old Blue like it was a ghost. Todd said," that thing should not be running." But it is and I hope it will keep on. I have made a promise to it to never go on that hill again.

Old 10-06-2000, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

I have a pretty embarassing moment where I also got in trouble for it. I had a freind over to my house and I was riding my four wheeler down the driveway and I was going to stop to let him ride it.....well I couldn't stop. I hit some ice and the thing just wouldn't stop!! I was almost to the end of the driveway and the only thing in front me me was the garage....well I couldnt' stop in time,and I couldn't turn, and I went right through the closed garage door plowing it down. The thing that stopped me was my dad's Chevy Truck that just so happened to be behind the garage door. It didn't even leave a scratch on the truck though, what can I say Chevy, like a rock. anyways Alls I can say is that the door was bent right in the center and destroyed. It pushed the door into a triangle and ripped the tracks for the door right out of the wall. Boy my friend sure had a laugh about that one. (not me though I was in BIG trouble for running over the garage door.)

Old 10-06-2000, 11:00 PM
Range Rover

my most in barising moments was : when i first got my white brothers exhaust on i held the cluch in and started it up and let the cluthc out and feved it relly high (i wasnt on the bike) adn it poped a weelie adn went flying down a 50 foot band evryone laughed and said yeah that does sound mean now. man i was so embarised i rode stait home just shows to you that everyone does something stupid now or later

Old 10-06-2000, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

Well, 4 years ago, I had a Honda 200X three wheeler. On one of my riding adventures, in an unknown area, I was putting along with some friends on Big Red's........whining, and complaining about how "slow" we were going. At one point, the guy on the lead Big Red said "Okay, this is pretty straight, why don't we race to the end..." That was all I needed, except I too didn't see an up and coming ant hill. As I was coming down, my knee must have bumped the choke to the half on position. Thankfully, I didn't get hurt, but on the return trip....again, WFO in top gear, I hear a "pop" and the machine just about rips my arms off, and I am really flying now, well it turns out that I rode it half choked for the rest of the ride, causing a back fire or some such thing, that blew the top of the carb clean off, and with raw air just flying in, unimpeded, I had the fastest 200X on the planet........Until the motor gave up, then sadly, I had the ultimate humiliation of being towed home at a snails pace by the Big Red!

No one got hurt, and there wasn't any huge air involved, but it will forever live in my memory as the most exhilerating ride I've ever had on a 200X!!

Old 10-07-2000, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

I was rididng my brothers trx 125(no suspension)and took it up a steep hill.I hit a bump and gave it to much gas and it did a wheelie up the hill.I instantly jumped off the bike and rolled..Dont ride a trx 125 unless you can ride a banshee.