Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250r runs full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250r runs full throttle

Well, Its time to write another chapter in Hoopies mechanical lessons. I installed the new pwk carb. it was a pain in the **** to get the rear boot on. I ended up boiling water and sticking the end in it for about a minute then using my hands to strecth it out repeatedly then I worked it on. Once i got all together put my new gas with Amsoil Dominator Oil in it, it started right up after two kicks. It took about 5 minutes of adjusting the idle to get it to run by itself and then once it warmed up a little I turned the idle down about a half turn. It starts now on one kick everytime! This is the time were I celebrate slam a beer pat myself on the back for being the greatest mechanic ever! Even my neighbors applauded after watching me strugle for two weeks.

Chapter 2!
So its running great in so I am thinking I will take it up and down the street once just to let it breath a little [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I just put a new clutch handle on it so im not sure I have it adjusted right so before I put it in gear I put on all the breaks just in case. So i put it in gear and it stalls. I think no big I have to tighten up my clutch cable. I tighten up my clutch cable as tight as I can and I notice it still dont engage in nuetral with the clutch in all the way. So i use a wrench by hand from the clutch cable by the engine to see if engages there and if turn it more I hear it click like it engages. I try tighen the cable a little more and realing the cable with the clutch and pull in the clutch handle and the clutch handle snaps from the tension on the cable. This cant be right. I put the rear end of the vehilce up in the air on my new wonderful ATV jack and start it and run through the gears by hand and it shifts through all the gears fine. Does this mean my transmission needs a new clutch? thinking that this explains why I found small metal shaving in the oil. Of course you all know I have no idea how to put a clutch in. Please help. What should I do.

By the way, I love that carb. Its so much easier to adjust.

Old 06-18-2005, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

Hooray! ya got it running, good going! At least you might not have a vacume leak.

That carb, and a Hinson clutch basket are the two best things I spent money on.

Get your cable straightened out then we'll see if you need to get into all that other stuff.

Time for you to get a service manual. If you can figure out a computer, with a manual and the proper tools and a few cold ones you can do a clutch if you need to.

I'm not pickin up what your laying down in part 2. If your clutch cable is old, cracked up, or does'nt move freely in and out
when disconnected at both ends, Replace it. It makes a difference.

When you get a lever, install the cable so the adjuster on the lever is almost all the way in. Connect the other end at the motor and adjust it out till you have 1/16" free play in the lever, just like on your R1. If you get a new cable, the threads on the motor side will be about in the middle. When ever I do a clutch it gets a new cable too, their cheap, and new cables feel nice.

My next toy for my 88 will be a Magura hydraulic clutch. Like warm butter

Old 06-18-2005, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

THank you again for your help. Your like a walking book for 250r. I assumed the clutch cable was ok. So I figured with the clutch cable tightened all the way and the clutch pulled in and it wouldnt go in neutral it must be the clutch basket because I could shift through the gears manually. I will go get an new clutch handle (again) and a new cable and try that first.

Old 06-18-2005, 12:15 PM
Trailblazer

If you mean you cant get into neutral while its running,thats common.The clutch basket will get grooves in it and the clutch plates hang on them.The Hinson baskets really make a difference and seem to be alot tougher than stock.Glad you got this thing to run,once you get it all back in shape,your gonna have a nice quad.Like Freak said,get a manual and youll be an R mechanic in no time.Also,email this guy and ask if he still has his parts books.Having one is like having service honda in your hand.It contains exploded views with all the oem part #s.Well worth the price.dplate@suscom.net

Old 06-18-2005, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

8Dave3. Thats not what I mean. I have no problem shifting through the gears or putting it in neutral. The problem is when you pull the clutch in the clutch doesnt engage. Whicm means you cant shift into first because it will stall. I got a new clutch handle and cable and just put them on and tried setting it as tight as I could but when squezing the clutch it doesnt engage. There is alot of freeplay on the clutch were the cable connects by the engine. I dont know what this means as far as what I have to replace now.

Old 06-18-2005, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

No problem, glad to help.

Once you get your cable and lever right, if it needs a clutch, you'll probibly need the clutch lifter update kit from Honda.

Service Honda carries them. I dont have a part# right now but they should know if you call.

I rode past 21 & Fairchild yesterday. Saw a few quads riding. Also heard of a place in Port Houron to ride. Maybe we can get togeather for a tuner run.

Old 06-18-2005, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

How will I know if I need a clutch? I think I have the cable right. That would be great to go out for a ride. I didnt know there was any place around here for that. As soon as its running lets do it.

Old 06-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

Usually when you put it in gear, let out the clutch and it goes nowhere, or slipps real bad when shifting.

What exactly happens? You put it in gear and it wants to take off with the clutch pulled in?

If your cable is adjusted right you should have a little free play in the lever. About a 1/16" gap between the perch and the lever stop before the cable actuates the clutch. If that is set up right, and the bike is still lurching, then you got problems.

You will need the clutch lifter update. Its the rod on the end of shaft the cable goes to that pushes on the pressure plate.
If you look on a parts micro-fish there is a ball behind the pressure plate that the rod pushes on. That ball gets welded on the end of the rod from heat and cant fully disengage the clutch. The update gets rid of the ball, and I think comes with a new pressure plate.

At that time you can evaluate your clutch pack and basket and see whats in there.

Another thing - off topic- Do you still have the stock rear end bearing carrirer on your bike? Billet double row carrier is a good investment also. It gets real expensive to let them go till they fail.

Old 06-18-2005, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

89 clutch update kit.
Honda part # 06220-hb9-305
Kit includes Pressure plate, push rod, lifter, thrust bearing, and a washer.
Service Honda lists this part # available for $51.96.

Old 06-19-2005, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

"What exactly happens? You put it in gear and it wants to take off with the clutch pulled in?" Thats exactly what happens.

That price is cheap for a clutch kit but is it hard to install? I never touched a transmission before.

Im not sure on the rear end. There is a sticker on the rear end that says Helm Enterprises Urethane Bushings.

Quick Reply: 250r runs full throttle