Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250r runs full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250r runs full throttle

I got a gasket today from the local dealer $2.38. Got the hondabond $5.99 since I was there and put everything back togethor and it still wont start on its own. Only when i direclty poor a little premix into the sparkplug hole will it start and then it just dies like it did before wen it runs out of gas. Now im thinking $10 in gas and a match. That may be priceless! Im glad i am a comuter geek or I would be starving if i had to be a mechanic.

Old 06-09-2005, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider

24 & deq. eh? Thats my ole stompin ground. Grew up at 24 & Shelby. Magic is still around, they have moved around a bit but keep getting better. They are located on VD south of 23 on the east side across from Ford field (new sub now). There is also a D.O.C. in the same building, cant miss it.

If those reeds arent closing completely its going to have a heck of a time running and idoling right. I'm with 2-fun on the carb issue, ditch that PJ for a 36mm PWK.

When it does run does it rev real hi till it dies?

Old 06-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

thats exactly what it does. Revs to the ceiling then dies. I agree on getting a new carb but I am a little worried that the new carb may not solve the problem and there is something else wrong in the engine.

Thanks for the directions I know exaclty where your talking about.

Old 06-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

Yep, sounding more like an air leak. Though the new carb will be money well spent.

Make sure the cap on top of the carb that holds the throttle cable gas a gasket inside and that its on tight, air can leak there.

If you want somone else to go through your motor and get it going, get ahold of CSA, Tom is who you want to talk to. I'm sure he could do a leak down test on it.
I dont have their # right now, but they are in Sterling Hts. on mound bet. 15&16 on the east side of mound.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

I was just going over the pictures of assembly on the carb from http://216.37.204.206/Alba/Honda_OEM...ype=13&A=1&B=5 and I realize i do not have a air hose coming out of the carb on the right side. Maybe this is part of the problem. I will check the cap on the top of the throttle cable going into the carb also.

I drive past CSA everyday going to work. I didnt know they did that type of work. What city are you in?

Old 06-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Thats just a vent hose, if you get a new carb they will be on it. The Honda dealer also sells that hose by the foot. After a while it gets hard and brittle and cracks off.

CSA is a good place for service, but limited in parts on hand. He orders parts as he needs them.

I'm in Roseville

Old 06-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Trailblazer

that is just a vent hose. it shouldnt affect your starting issue at all. everyone seems to be on the right track. it seems like you have an air leak. if you still have to put some effort into starting up the motor you dont have a compression problem i dont think that is your issue. drain your oil.... smell it if it smells like gas you have blown a crank seal and it is sucking air from there.... also take off the stator cover and check that crank seal also.... i had this problem with my R motor before i sold it. i replaced the crank seals and it got better.... the only other thing that i can think of that my be causing you to have an air leak would be a base gasket or head gasket problem.... but thoes will be knowticable.... if there is oil/gas around the base or head of your cylinder you have a gasket problem.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

yesterday I drained the transmission but it didnt smell like gas. There was some metal shavings though attached the plug. I refilled the transmission. I standed the atv up on its back wheels and remove the skid plate to get a better look at the engine to try to find a leak. I cleaned the engine with engine degreaser and a rag. I didnt notice any leaks anywhere on the engine which is good because I had my brother put new head, base and left transmission gaskets on it last year before i rode it. While looking at the engine I notice it was wet by the exhaust header. I tightened one of the bolts because it was loose. I couldnt tighten the other two without a different tool or taken off the exhaust springs. I will do that tonight I just know its a pain to put the springs back on. I also cheaked the the cap on top of the carb where the throttle connects and it was tight. I then tried to start it with the choke on and the idle all the way up and the air screw 3 turns out. It started on the 6th kick without putting gas into the sparkplug hole. It was running while I had the throttle on for a couple of minutes though when i let the throttle off it wanted to stop. I stalled twice and I was able to start it again with the choke on but it wont start anymore. Now what? Is there a gasket for the exhaust header I should replace? Then probably the new carb?

Old 06-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer

your exhaust should be fine. the only thing you will knowtice from that is it being loud. but it being wet means you are running rich. it sounds like you have water in your carb. before you just go out and buy a new carb take it somewhere and see what they say.... you may need to have it rejetted or the float level adjusted. i would say... before you go out and spend a big chunck of money on a carb take it to a shop and see what they say!!!!! you may have a bad coil.

Old 06-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

I think its time to take it to the honda shop and see what they say.

Quick Reply: 250r runs full throttle