Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Why the hype over the 450r? A 500r 2 stroke would be better

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why the hype over the 450r? A 500r 2 stroke would be better

I can't see why everyone is so excited about the 450r . I mean you could have put a cr500 engine in a 250r 20 years ago an outrun anyquad in production. I just don't get it. Everyone wants a faster quad every year but the fact is they could have built the 500r MONSTER 2 stroke 20 years ago.

Why doesn't honda just make a tru 500R(meaning 2 stroke). We would have a quad with more speed than anyone would really be able to use. Wouldn't that just end this little speed race they have once and for all?

Heck they could build a 300R(2 stroke) Why not take a cbr600rr motor and drop it in a quad?

They are spoonfeeding you guys. look at the rincon. They could have made it perfect. But they made sure they have something to do for 07.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You go ahead and perfect the technology to make a 2 stroke performance atv emissions legal. Now make it cheap enough to mass produce without increasing sticker price by a substantial amount. While you're at it get rid of the horrible vibration associated with honda's only 2 stroke 500, which if I remember correctly isnt even in production any longer.

Then you can figure out how to make a giant 4 cyl engine fit in an atv that smaller people can ride and get it to handle around the track at least as well as the Raptor 700.

Everyone can whine and complain, it takes intelligence to realize that what seems simple at first glance isnt always so cut and dry when you delve into the details.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
You go ahead and perfect the technology to make a 2 stroke performance atv emissions legal. Now make it cheap enough to mass produce without increasing sticker price by a substantial amount. While you're at it get rid of the horrible vibration associated with honda's only 2 stroke 500, which if I remember correctly isnt even in production any longer.

Then you can figure out how to make a giant 4 cyl engine fit in an atv that smaller people can ride and get it to handle around the track at least as well as the Raptor 700.

Everyone can whine and complain, it takes intelligence to realize that what seems simple at first glance isnt always so cut and dry when you delve into the details.
agree.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

Your not seriously trying to say they couldn't make a bigger quad than the 450r? I just used the 500r as an example. My point is they don't make a dream quad with more power than you could ever want for a reason.
Each new model has to be more desireable than the last to keep people buying new and selling the old.

If they build a 500r they make the 450r look like a redheaded step child and lose all the money they spent in reasearch and development. Buy gradually increasing performance they can keep selling new models year after year for many more years.

Imagine if the made the 500r in 85. 2 stroke with a counter balancer for vibration on a beefier 250r frame. people would still be riding them today. Aftermarket parts would take all their sells. There would be nothing to improve upon. I guess they could add reverse and some new headlights ?

Old 09-08-2005, 09:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I find quite a bit of flaw with that one too, look at yami. Yamaha had the banshee, stock for stock its still on the heels of just about every stock atv. Modified its almost unbeatable and the aftermarket is just as big if not bigger for it than the old 250's or the new 450's. Yamaha came out with the 660 raptor which was close in power to the stock shee. Then they came out with the yfz450 which was faster than them both. Then for 06 they make the yfz and raptor faster. Yet people are still buying and riding banshees. Faster doesnt have to mean bigger, and bigger doesnt mean faster. Do you think that no one will buy the yfz now that the raptor is upgraded? Or vice versa?

The zilla is still the fastest mass produced stock atv and while they have a following its not like everyone is riding them and not buying the newer, slower 4 strokes or the same slower banshee that was availible back then. By your logic no other quad should matter since the zilla is still the fastest stock machine. One size does not fit all and the best accelleration times are not the only measure of a machine.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

How about because 2-stroke ATVs are pretty much going to be done in short order and there are no longer any pro classes in motocross to accomodate them.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RedGoblin
How about because 2-stroke ATVs are pretty much going to be done in short order and there are no longer any pro classes in motocross to accomodate them.
What percentage of 450R owners compete in displacement restricted ATVA competitions? Most events have an open class, some events thats the only atv class. If it was production it wouldnt be a problem, that was the excuse they used to get rid of the lt and trx 250r's. The issue would be with displacement on a 500cc 2 stroke, which brings me back to the open classes.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

How about you on your 500 powerd hill shooter and me on my 450r and go to the mx track. My dad had a CR500 in an ATC250R on nitrous and alcohol was clocked at 110 mph and 95 up olds and was king of the hill at glamis for 2 years in a row yeah they are fast but on one thing. the hill.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Range Rover

one thing about 2strokes .... .everyone would be using them still in the pros if it wasnt for the atva restricting 2 strokes from the the pro class and they want you to buy the 20 year long technology that still isnt better then that of the 250r,tecate4,quadzilla,lt250r get the drift. they want you to buy the new 4strokes instead of buying the old 2strokes...... 4stroke power will never compare to 2stroke power

Old 09-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
I find quite a bit of flaw with that one too, look at yami. Yamaha had the banshee, stock for stock its still on the heels of just about every stock atv. Modified its almost unbeatable and the aftermarket is just as big if not bigger for it than the old 250's or the new 450's. Yamaha came out with the 660 raptor which was close in power to the stock shee. Then they came out with the yfz450 which was faster than them both. Then for 06 they make the yfz and raptor faster. Yet people are still buying and riding banshees. Faster doesnt have to mean bigger, and bigger doesnt mean faster. Do you think that no one will buy the yfz now that the raptor is upgraded? Or vice versa?

The zilla is still the fastest mass produced stock atv and while they have a following its not like everyone is riding them and not buying the newer, slower 4 strokes or the same slower banshee that was availible back then. By your logic no other quad should matter since the zilla is still the fastest stock machine. One size does not fit all and the best accelleration times are not the only measure of a machine.
For one, you must consider that virtually NO upgrades have ever been done to the banshee besides plastic color, and look how popular it still is 18 years later!! Just imagine how popular it COULD be if some logical progression would have been made thru the years. (Cudo's to Yammiehaw to at least have the nutz to continue to build them)
The Zillas have several reliability issues that the majority never got corrected prior to discontinuation. It's only my opinion that this is still one of the most versatile quads ever built. Awesome dune machine, hill shoots fairly well, trail rides/woods with the best of the 2X4 thumpers of today due to its big bore torque at lower rpms. Not to mention a VERY capable MX machine (Afterall, that IS what it was originally designed for XxGlamisDunerxX... I'd be willing to bet I could hang with you on a track... been there, done that.... too fat and old to care anymore)
It is difficult to build a machine that's one-size-fits-all... that's why there are several different models.
I concur with Razor on this one... Who's gunna step up and build a Big Time Bad A$$ quad like Suzuki did way back when??? I'd sure like to have one with some modern day technology!! Until that day, I'll continue riding my old Antiques, that STILL dominate the quad world.
In summary, I'm saying his logic is fairly solid, however I do not represent the mainstream quad owner by any stretch.

Quick Reply: Why the hype over the 450r? A 500r 2 stroke would be better