Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Rancher AT Power Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Rancher AT Power Issue

Let's see if anyone can help me with my problem. I have a 2005 Honda Rancher AT 400 with 612 miles and it has started shifting weird in AUTO mode. If I ever slow down fom say 15MPH to 5MPH and give it throttle again it will sit there and bog for a few seconds before it will start pulling again. This is really only noticeable on hills, but it does seem to be struggling somewhat no matter if it's a hill or flat ground. If I select ESP mode everything seems to be working better and it pulls up hills with ease.

Here is the order in which things happened that may have contributed to my issue.....just not certain which one is/was the cause:

1.) 495 Miles - I tried pulling a small tree that had fallen across my trail and after trying to move it four or five different times in AUTO and ESP and 2WD and 4WD, I gave up. I had the throttle wide open only for 3-4 seconds at best, but soon realized that this thing wasn't going to budge this tree....it was just sitting there and grunting in 4x4 and would barely spin in 2x4. FYI....I know my old Honda 300 would have pulled it without any trouble.

2.) 500 Miles - I changed the oil and filter with all OEM Honda stuff 10W-40 GN4 - 3 Quarts. After following the owner's manual for oil level check, it is about one mark above the full level mark.

3.) 510 Miles - I drove through a creek crossing that was about 50ft long and water was barely over the floorboards going slow, but I hit it going about 15-20MPH and needless to say water was going everywhere.

4.) 512 Miles - Same riding adventure as the creek crossing but now comes the hills. Any type of incline it would seem to be struggling just not running right....it didn't matter ESP or AUTO....just seem to be running hard and bogging down.

5.) 610 Miles - AUTO mode is still very sluggish at slow speeds even after resetting the ECM and doing the ESP Speed Ratio reset procedure. ESP seems to be working O.K., but I not 100% certain that it's exactly right though.

My Rancher AT ran very well before whatever happened that made it start this, but my initial thoughts is something to do with all of the water where I crossed the creek going to fast. Before it never really struggled to do anything on a hill at any speed....of course I never tried pulling anything either so it's hard to compare that situation.

The only thing that I know that needs serviced is the air filter.....it fairly dirty, but would something this simple cause this type of problem?

What about the idle speed....could it cause this problem? I've already set it to 1450RPM with a Tiny Tach.

For what it's worth, my warranty ran out September 30th and all of this started October 2nd. I know that the 2004's had similiar trouble to this, but they were recalled and the ECM and the clutch were replaced.

Sorry for the long post, but any help or advice with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-31-2005, 03:07 PM
Trailblazer

Definitely something wrong there. I've pulled some fairly large logs with mine without a problem.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like it could be a clutch issue to me,you should be able to spin the tires in 1st 2 wheel drive when you start pulling a load. The bogging sounds like it is not backshifting fast enough when you slow down and give it throttle again, could also be the ECM not working correctly.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:49 PM
Trailblazer

I would double check all wires and connections first. I hit some water with mine at about 10 or 15 mph and water shot up everywhere and when I got to the other side it wouldn't go anywhere. Ended up being a bad connection, from the factory, leading to the angle sensor.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have the same problem with mine, if you find out whats wrong let me know, thanks, dark

Old 04-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

Just my 2 cents, I think your clutch is shot. Mine was replaced under warranty early on. Awhlie back I put a uni filter on my AT and it ran amazing for a week. Then all of a sudden it wouldn't make it up a small hill. The clutch was shot and replaced. The dealer has a way to check for this. I know it is going to cost you some money, but you should just get it checked.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

arent clutches covered under the warranty, dark

Trending Topics

Old 04-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Range Rover

This had been happening to mine, but when they flashed the ECm at the dealer it was all fixed. I pull alot of stuff with my 04 Rancher AT, and it does work better in ESP for pulling. Maybe it is the clutch but I have 1500 or so miles on mine and have not had any problems with the clutch.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Trailblazer

To my knowledge the 05's didn't have a problem with the ECM just the 04's (there might be some 05's but the majority were 04's) My money would be on an electrical or angle sensor problem but then it should throw a code. If there is no code then I would check clutches next.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

well i took it to honda today and they said if it was the clutches that warranty would not cover them, but i checked my mannual and it didnt say that, also its not even 5 months old i bought it in oct 25 2006, it is an 06 rancher, does any one know for sure about the warranty i just dont trust the dealer, thanks, dark

Quick Reply: Honda Rancher AT Power Issue