ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   Anti-Theft Devices ???? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/221995-anti-theft-devices.html)

GregSWilder 11-10-2005 11:58 PM

Anti-Theft Devices ????

Reading the recent forum about the person in LA who had the 2 ATVs stolen, got me to thinking. What are some good devices/methods folks use to help prevent theft?

Of course locking in a secured building is best, but what about if you travel about, and need something temporary for a night or two?

I have seen several security type cables. I would think you could tie up the ATV and trailer with these to something fixed. (like a big tree or frame of your vehicle.

What about some kind of motion alarm you could hide on the ATV? Something that makes a large siren noise, light, etc if the ATV is moved?

Just wondering what good ideas you folks would like to share?

Greg Wilder
2005 Honda Rancher AT
2005 Honda CRF 80
2005 Honda CRF 100

Curls 11-11-2005 12:31 AM

Anti-Theft Devices ????

There are locks made for street bikes that will emit a siren if the cable is cut or the lock is moved. This seems like it would work for a quad juat as well.

TheTurtle 11-11-2005 12:56 AM

Anti-Theft Devices ????

i usually just keep the quad in the garage, but i prefer a lead throwing device when im away from home. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Ozark38 11-11-2005 07:25 AM

Anti-Theft Devices ????

www.lockitt.com

GregSWilder 11-11-2005 08:54 PM

Anti-Theft Devices ????

I will try and do some more searching. I looked at the Xena alarms. Not sure how to use one on an ATV.

Any more ideas would be appreciated. Thanks...

Chris142 11-12-2005 11:12 AM

Anti-Theft Devices ????

Running a padlock through the holes in the rear disc brake or sprocket will help prevent the ATV from being rolled away quietly.

reconranger 11-14-2005 10:26 PM

Anti-Theft Devices ????

Kryptonite Faghedaboudit locks and chains. Chain the dirt bikes up to the front and back of the Rancher, so the whole mess is so ungainly that it can't be moved.

I chain mine in a big circle. Every bike is chained to two others. When they are on the trailer, I chain them to the trailer and I chain the trailer to the truck, and the truck has a kill switch so they can't just steal the whole rig.

wheresdedunes 11-15-2005 01:16 AM

Anti-Theft Devices ????

We have our quads insured, but I still take steps to prevent them being stolen easily and ruining a good trip. I use the short Fulton lock with one end through the sprocket or brake disc and the other around a frame member on the trailer. I have also used a short piece of chain between two adjacent rear wheels and put a lock on each end. This puts the locks where bolt cutters can't reach them and makes it hard to move two quads at once. Before I got the Fulton locks, I would also hide a cell phone on the trailer and use it as an intercom to my wife's cell phone in the motel. (we have a nation-wide plan and free cell-to-cell calls). I kept the peacemaker on the nightstand and the speakerphone on mute while we slept. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Beefy400 11-15-2005 12:17 PM

Anti-Theft Devices ????

357mag!

Wandell 11-15-2005 05:44 PM

Anti-Theft Devices ????

I've also thought about chaining my ATV to my mower.