Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

pro's and con's on lift kits

Old 11-22-2005, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pro's and con's on lift kits

thinking lifting my rubicon,anybody lifted there's? if so let me me hear the good';s and bad's on this.thanks for the input guys................dawg

Old 11-23-2005, 01:06 AM
Trailblazer

After doing much research, I decided to put on a set of progressive adjustable shocks and a set of outlaw mts tires (stock high 25's) and call it good. the shocks give you about two inches of extra hieght without the sag of stock cheapos. I think you would regret a lift. Of course I live in the Rocky's, with alot of steep inclines and mountains. Dont want the machine to be top heavy around here. I would rather drag on my after market skid plate than let it roll a few thousand feet to the bottom. Good luck

Old 11-23-2005, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

lift kits are ok, but always remember that your CV axles are working at a slightly increased angle, which means they will wear more quickly. Also, they raise the center of gravity, making the machine more tippy. Adding wheel spacers will compensate for the tippy-ness, but that just puts more stress on the wheel bearings too. If you are building a competition mudding machine, then go for it, many places make aftermarket axles that are tougher, but if you are gonna use it for all-around trail riding and want some longevity out of the machine, better off just leaving it alone.

I thought about doing all that to my rancher, along with some engine work, but then i realized that things will just wear out faster.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the feed back, was thinking of putting it on my rubicon, just a everyday rider here. i do have a set of 26's to put on my bike. they ride ok,but when i load it up with me and my wife and cooler they tend to rub some times. i have the stock tired on it now. just looking for a way to get the clearence to put the bigger tires back on. thanks again........dawg

Old 11-23-2005, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer

The progressive shocks will take care of your problems if you feel like giving about $430.00 away. And if you are putting on that much weight you could really benifit.

Old 11-24-2005, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

Stiffer springs would also help prevent the occasional rubbing.

Old 11-24-2005, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider

My friend had a lift on his honda and he blew out his rear U joint and belt his shaft coming out of his crank costing him just over 800 bucks to replace everything... if u do get a lift be careful about putting lots of stress on your drivetrain

Old 11-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

Lift kits for hondas aren't nice like they are for trucks, and even some offered for other bikes like the Grizz. Our kits are simply shock extenders which place the suspension at or near full droop (like when you jack up the bike and the tires just start to come off the ground.

So instead of all the axles working at the optimum angle, they're always working as if the suspesion is drooped all the time and it will wear CV's prematurely, espicially when coupled with larger tires.

There are lift kits for the Grizz that are great, they include drop brackets, sometimes new lower A-arms and often longer CV axles, so that once lifted, the axle geometry is close to stock. That's what I'd like to see for Honda bikes, at least for the front anyway.

Old 11-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

stiffer springs,please tell me what springs are you talking about. the coil springs over the shocks? if so where do you get them and how are they instaled?.........thanks...................dawg

Old 11-25-2005, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

You can get just springs from highlifter.com, look them up on the site, you can buy them with the tool to install them too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pro's and con's on lift kits