ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   2006 Honda TRX450ER Notes! OWNERS OF UNITS LOOK HERE!!!!!!!!!!! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/234678-2006-honda-trx450er-notes-owners-units-look-here.html)

Sorek 03-24-2006 10:25 AM

2006 Honda TRX450ER Notes! OWNERS OF UNITS LOOK HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello,
I am a new person to this forum........but for a reason. As an enthuiast rider and a quad junkie I felt I need to pass along some info to the 06 450ER guys out there. I am also a Honda Technican and get all the Honda Service info down the pipeline that most guys dont get! SO here it goes. I hope that most of you are aware of the proper starting procedures for your unit! IF YOU HOLD THE THROTTLE OPEN WHILE STARTING YOUR UNIT YOU MAY DESTROY THE STARTER CLUTCH! Honda posted in the WRENCH letter to mechanics this past month! Also, I have had 5 450's come back from buyers in a very short period of time for dead batteries. I am almost certain that this is caused by many of these guys tryin to start their 450 in 30 degree weather (for which it is not properly jetted for). If you are having trouble starting your 450ER in the cold weather pull off the seat and put ur hand over the intake hole on the air box( ultimately choking the engine more than just the choke button) and it should start! I had a 450 in 10 degree weather sit outside all night long and started the unit this way. If you do not follow such freezing cold starting procedures you WILL KILL YOUR BATTERY! This battery is very very small compared to the YTX 14 on a 400EX! One other idea is when the quad is then running turn on the headlight! This makes the battery charge better! I hope if any of the 450 guys out there have any ????'s they will hit me up on here because I want to help.

Sorek

Daren420 03-24-2006 11:16 AM

Thanks for the information!!

JSsDS 03-24-2006 11:52 AM

I hope if any of the 450 guys out there have any ????'s they will hit me up on here because I want to help.
Nice of you to offer, I'm sure you will get some replys to that. In fact, I have a question for ya. When I installed the HRC kit I noticed that the intake valves are shim-under bucket- arrangement but the exhaust, being the valves actuated by the rocker arm, were not. At least I did not see the buckets there. My buddy bought the service manual so I read up on the valve adjustment procedure which stated that the exhaust valves were shim-under. I have not had it apart since I installed the kit and the valves were dead on with the new cam so I have not messed with it any further.
Question: are the exhaust valves shim under? If not how do you adjust them.
Thanks

1988TRX250R 03-25-2006 01:14 AM

Originally posted by: JSsDS

I hope if any of the 450 guys out there have any ????'s they will hit me up on here because I want to help.
Nice of you to offer, I'm sure you will get some replys to that. In fact, I have a question for ya. When I installed the HRC kit I noticed that the intake valves are shim-under bucket- arrangement but the exhaust, being the valves actuated by the rocker arm, were not. At least I did not see the buckets there. My buddy bought the service manual so I read up on the valve adjustment procedure which stated that the exhaust valves were shim-under. I have not had it apart since I installed the kit and the valves were dead on with the new cam so I have not messed with it any further.
Question: are the exhaust valves shim under? If not how do you adjust them.
Thanks
Both intake and exhaust use shims but only the intake use buckets. The intake lobes on the cam ride directly on the buckets but the exhaust valves are opened w/ a rocker arm which ride on the shims. The cam/cam holder ass'y needs to be unbolted and removed, like you did to install the HRC cam, to replace the shims.

Sorek, nice to see another Honda technician on the forums.

JSsDS 03-25-2006 12:23 PM

1988TRX250R, Thanks for the reply. Now I know what to expect when I do have to adjust the valves

MUDNBLOOD 03-25-2006 01:12 PM

Hey! How are you?! Ya know its guys like you that make me keep coming back to this forum!! I posted a question about a week ago but no one has replied to me, its still there! Anyway i thought you if no one else, you might be able to help me. my post was about my 04 450R and racing a couple FAST quads, but a couple times i accidently shifted to N, reved the engine and in the excitement shifted to 2 with a hard CLICK!, Now while the engine is running its almost impossible to get it into N,(it does go in sometimes but its a rare ocasion) BUT when the engines not running it goes into N butter smooth like it should. Did i waist my tranny? or is there still hope?

Please any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks MIke G.

JSsDS 03-25-2006 01:43 PM

Not exactly sure who you are asking but I can throw out a suggestion. I doubt you damaged your tranny but obviously didn't do it any good. For your clutch issue, try changing the trans oil and use the Honda HP Trans oil. Other then that, check your lever adjustment to be sure you are getting full stroke but still have a small amount of free play.
Incidentally, My trans is somewhat difficult to get into nutural while its running. Has always been that way so I never gave it much thought.

Rise400ex 03-25-2006 02:00 PM

Thank you for the info guys. Keep it coming!

CDuBose 03-27-2006 12:35 PM

As a Honda technician I'm hoping you can provide some feedback in regards to the 06 450ER HRC Kit. In reading through the literature that comes with the kit it suggests that the piston needs to be replaced after 15-hours. Just wondering what your take is on that issue and wheter or not you've seen any premature piston failures as a result of installing the HRC kit.

4FITTY 03-27-2006 01:12 PM

They meen 15 racing hrs. The average ride never abuses the engine like a racer. My buddy Ron has about 100 hrs on his with the hrc kit. Ron and his son ride aleast 3 times a week since october and bought his with the hrc kit installed. I have the hrc kit and about 15 hrs on mine I dont like to ride in the mud.

SandmanBlue 03-27-2006 01:49 PM

Excellent info on the starting issue. I made the quick discovery that you just don't touch the throttle when starting this beast. If you do, the motor can kick back and the starter takes a big hit - I guess mine didn't blow up after it happened a couple of times.

Now I know to just hit the starter with the choke on when it's cold. It takes a while for the motor to really warm up - a lot more than I am used to. Oh, and my friend with a modded YFZ was quite impressed with the torque of the Honda motor. as am I. I can't wait to throw a few mods on it. So far I plan on the Hotcam Stage 2, green wire mod, and I'll see how the stock exhaust runs after jetting and airbox changes.

This quad rocks!

reconranger 03-27-2006 02:01 PM

Put in a few hours of hard a$$ desert riding on an 06 ER this weekend. There have to be some tricks to starting that we were not aware of, because starting was not the snap that one would think it would be with an electric starter. The thing made all kinds of scarry weird noises and you could see the oil getting darker all the time. I think we should have done an oil change, half-way through the weekend. I'm thinking about a CRF450X, so I am keeping a close eye on this engine..........

So far, I am glad to have my HRC, kick start 04 TRX, and I don't think I would want to give it up for an 06 at this point.

JSsDS 03-27-2006 07:38 PM

Two things that I have learned from my 06-R in the short time I have owned it.

1. Never Never Never touch the throttle when starting or it will lock up the starter. Starts without the throttle will result in easy, almost instantanous starts. I just have to get used to not pushing the throttle when starting especially when I stall it and the pack starts passing me. I'm surprised I havn't damaged something.
2. In stock form, they are very lean and require a rediculous amount of time to warm up and that is in 50 deg weather. Sorek explains what the guys in cold climates do. Maybe the shop can make some "honda approved jet needle adjustments" that help or maybe a larger choke (starter) jet? Also, there is a accl pump on this carb so you can pump the throttle a few times to add some extra fuel. The normal procedure for meis: pull the choke - two or three slow pumps on the throttle and hit the starter.
2a. The HRC kit jetting corrects the lean run problem and makes for effortless starting in as low as 40 deg weather in my experience.

Sorek 03-27-2006 10:55 PM

I am very aware of the 15 hour piston replacement. My take on that is more like this: Most 450 engines could use a valve clearance check at 15 hours where as most will not need a piston. If you are John Natalie Jr. on the throttle you may need a new piston at around 15-20 races or so....per honda specs. Think of all the two-stroke quads and dirt bikes that are many years old on the orignal piston.....I think it is all about how YOU ride and maintain your ATV as to when the piston should be replaced. I have only seen piston failure in 3 cases of the TRX450R motor and they were all in 2004 when they had a problem with the oil seal between the transmission and the engine oils being installed incorrectly. However, If you are a backyard, trail type rider you will probably have to have new valves before the piston. My reccomendation would be to check your valve clearance at the specified times and when they go out of adjustment to where they will need to be shimmed, take the valve train off the unit and inspect the piston and rings. I try to tell people to do piston, rings, gaskets, and valves all at the same time. This may be not very cheap but in the long run it will be worth it. Just my .02
Sorek
Honda/Yamaha Tech

Sorek 03-27-2006 11:02 PM

Here is another tip for the new owners of 450ER's out there. I have been having alot of "dead" batteries in the 450R's lately. Pay close attention to the battery of your unit as it does not have a back up kick starter (DUMB HONDA DUMB!). The battery of the 450R is very compact and therefore kinda weak. Its like sending G.I. Joe to Iraq with a bb gun! I have to say that I think Honda will be putting a better ( higher strenght) battery in the 07. The best way to prevent this slow battery death (which is inevitable with all batteries) is to run your unit with the headlights on and when the quad is in storage use a BATTERY TENDER. This is a trickle charger that can double the life of your battery and only costs around $35. When u compare that to the cost of a new battery its pretty cheap. Just my .02
Sorek
Honda/Yamaha Tech

Droopylee 03-28-2006 02:54 PM

I have on 06 Honda 450ER and have the HRC cam installed in it for now until I get my engine up to my sponsor Rossier Engineering. But I am running the HRC cam and a Rossier Engineering Pipe and SIlencer and I tell you this is up to 49.7 to the rear wheels on the dyno, not bad for just two add ons.
As for any problems, I will have to admit the battery sucks, I had a YFZ450 and it cranked alot harder then this thing does, but also think you can use the trick the YFZ450 riders do and they use a CBR600 battery that has more CCA and I am going to try this out.
Also I took off all the electrical that I could since I race TT/ST but remember you do have to have an on/off switch or it draws from the battery as well and what I did was put a toggle switch where the hot wire of your battery disconnects and now I have all electrical crap off and still a switch to turn off any current, my friend is a Honda Mechanic and we tested everything with a multimeter and without the key switch or a way to turn off the power it draws current from the battery, a $5.00 toggle switch fixes that.

fbca7 11-02-2006 12:08 AM

Another starting question...just bought an 06, jetted, K&N, higher comp piston than stock. WHen warm, the 450 usually starts with the starter (although it takes a few cranks). WHen cold, it's almost impossible to start (I'm going to try the hand over the intake trick you mentioned). If it stalls....it won't start with the starter. But all it takes hot or cold is a little bump start and it's running. Could the decompression clearance be off? And could you explain how the decompression works (I know what it does, I mean the technology that makes it work under 200 rpm).

Thanks.

reconranger 11-02-2006 09:44 AM

Note that the last post on here is from March.......still, good info and not a bad post to resurrect.

I (thankfully!) have the kick starter! On a cold start, I pump the throtle 4 times, to inject fuel into the carb. Set the choke full on. It will ususlly start first kick, but occasionally a second is required. The engine will race (not at all good for a cold engine), so I have to be ready to turn the choke off immediately. I then have to sit and baby it for a couple of minutes until it is fully warm.

For a hot start, just pull the hot start button, and never give it any throtle until it has already gotten going. Starts first kick every time.

I have not recently put any time on my buddies electric start R's, but I will make a point to in the future and help them refine the process., as they occasionally have problems.

A word to the wise......If I were buying a brand new 07 R, I would still get the kick starter! I have the start procedure so down now, that even my smallish girlfriend can easily start it.

motox26 11-02-2006 09:58 AM

Originally posted by: reconranger

I (thankfully!) have the kick starter! On a cold start, I pump the throtle 4 times, to inject fuel into the carb. Set the choke full on. It will ususlly start first kick, but occasionally a second is required. The engine will race (not at all good for a cold engine), so I have to be ready to turn the choke off immediately. I then have to sit and baby it for a couple of minutes until it is fully warm.

For a hot start, just pull the hot start button, and never give it any throtle until it has already gotten going. Starts first kick every time.

I have not recently put any time on my buddies electric start R's, but I will make a point to in the future and help them refine the process., as they occasionally have problems.

A word to the wise......If I were buying a brand new 07 R, I would still get the kick starter! I have the start procedure so down now, that even my smallish girlfriend can even start it.
I know I have a dirtbike 450, but this is exactly how I start mine and NEVER have any troubles starting it now that I have the hang of it, and the CRF450's are the most tempermental version of that engine.

On the 1st start of the day I pump the throttle about 2-3 times, and then kick it over 1-3 times without ANY throttle. After it is good and warm and I go to refire it, I pull in the hot start without any throttle and in a kick it is running again.

I have found that a good thing to do is put your throttle hand on the middle of the bar so you are not tempted to touch the throttle.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

reconranger 11-02-2006 10:08 AM

Good advice about where to put your hand! Every other quad or bike I have ever owned needed trottle while starting, so it's a hard habit to break..........

motox26 11-02-2006 10:52 AM

Good advice about where to put your hand! Every other quad or bike I have ever owned needed trottle while starting, so it's a hard habit to break..........
Yes it is, it has taken me a year to finally be able to leave my hand on the throttle without giving it some gas.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Got rid of your Z400 I see, what made you do that?

bombrider04 11-02-2006 01:33 PM

I was thinking of getting a battery tender to keep on the battery so it wouldn't die and I think the quad will be fine as long as you treat it properly without beating it up like maintanance and keeping you hand off the throttle while starting...Have they made any changes to the battery from the 06 to 07 models like a better battery or do they sell a battery with more cranking power?...If anyone could help on this please let me know I am getting a K&N for xmas and will be most likely be putting an exhaust by then so how far off is the jetting from leveling out the mixture...is it off about 1 size on the main I haven't looked at the carb yet so I don't know what size jets are in it but I will def need to be rejetting so if anyone could steer me into the right direction of to what size jet I should use please let me know thanks and will go with a dynojet and what would the jets equal in the different manufacturers

jhaines 11-02-2006 08:15 PM

hi im just wondering what the stock gearing is for the 05 450r

reconranger 11-02-2006 10:45 PM

Got rid of the Z, because I wasn't getting to ride the R enough. Only have room for 5 quads in the trailer, so the R always got left home. I was only riding it in the local hills, but never out in the open desert which is what I got it for in the first place. Sold it to my brother-in-law (he was riding it all along anyway......for free), so it is still around.

fbca7 11-07-2006 10:25 PM

I would really appreciate your help with my 450er.

Bought it used, well maintained.

JE 13:1 high comp piston
Web Cam
Kibblewhite valve springs
Port and polish
NMotion Exhuast
Vortex X10 ignition
Direct Drive Lock-Up Clutch

Decompressor was way too tight, set to factory specs and it fires right up at the hit of the starter button when cold and choked. Takes a few more spins when hot.

Here's the problem: After the engine is hot and you shut it off. If you go back to start it relatively soon, you get nothing but a click of the relay. And if you put it in gear, you can't push it. Something is locked. If you let it cool for several minutes, everything is free and it starts fine. It's got a lexan clutch cover..and if you hit the starter button several times (and you have the clutch engaged in neutral) you can see it move ever so slightly. SOmetimes it will even release and spin free and start.

We removed the starter clutch and there are some flat spots but it looks ok, as do the needle bearings. It spins only in one direction as is correct. All the reductoin gears are sharp and spin freely. The battery tests good at 220CCA and I keep it on a trickle charger. With the case off and the starter clutch off, the starter spins quietly and freely.

We had been filling the trans only to the weep hole and I've seen posts that it should be filled more than that.

Any ideas....I'm stumped.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

quad2xtreme 11-08-2006 09:12 AM

Note that the last post on here is from March.......still, good info and not a bad post to resurrect.

A word to the wise......If I were buying a brand new 07 R, I would still get the kick starter! I have the start procedure so down now, that even my smallish girlfriend can easily start it.
Come on....160 is not smallish. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

CamoKodiak450 11-08-2006 12:59 PM

I'm running a 170 main in my 06 450R and it seems about perfect. It has no bog and no starting problems. that with the lid off and a slip on exhaust.

Mason450R 11-12-2006 10:36 AM

I am new to this board and just purchased an 06 450ER and had the dealer install the HRC kit. When I got it home and took the seat off, the cover of the air box was removed. What is the official word on the air box cover with the HRC kit? I looked through the HRC instructions but it doesn't say. When I called the dealer back to ask why it was off, he told me it wouldn't run with it on. Can someone let me know what is the best way to handle this?

reconranger 11-12-2006 10:40 AM

Lid off is standard equipment with the HRC kit! Do you ride in a lot of wet and mud??????

I ride desert, so wet and mud is extremely rare (isn't God good!). I highly recommend the EHS Racing airbox lid. It has an Outerwears over the opening, and will at least keep out the worst of the big stuff! http://www.ehsracing.com/

Mason450R 11-12-2006 11:38 AM

I live in the Midwest and unfortunately it is very wet and muddy! I am thinking about riding today and it is very wet and muddy, what would you suggest for the air box until I get the cover you sent...airbox on or off? Thanks for the link!

reconranger 11-12-2006 12:29 PM

If you run with your lid on it will run rich and probably poorly, but it won't really hurt the engine (might foul your plug sooner though).

Keep in mind that the EHS lid, while it has a "water repellent" Outerwears on it, it is BY NO MEANS WATERPROOF. Better than nothing in the wet, but not the same protection as a closed lid!

I would suggest that next week that you put the lid back on and try to rejet it and see if it will run reasonably well. I have heard that the 06/07's get a lot more air in stock form than the 40/05's, so it might be possible. But, if this is a huge issue, you might just have to pull the HRC kit off and go back to stock???????

chenoweth122 11-13-2006 03:55 AM

i know about the starting of the machine and the throttle. but, will you still do damage if you give it gas before you hit the start button?? and is there a better battery that you can put in the 06 450, i thought that i heard somebody say that they put in a battery from a honda street bike. youre thoughts??

reconranger 11-13-2006 10:40 AM

On a cold start, I pump the throtle a few times to squirt fuel into the carb and prime it. But on a hot start this will tend to flood it, then you will have to crank it a bunch of times to clear the fuel out before it will want to start.

JSsDS 11-14-2006 01:44 AM

fbca7
Try pulling the plug next time it locks up. I know thats a rather difficult task. It could be fuel blurping into the cylinder after you shut off the engine. Considering the elevated compression, it wouldn't take much to bump the compression high enough to stop the piston from reaching TDC. Probably a float issue.

WFO450R 11-22-2006 03:45 PM

Sorry to come to this so late, I have been busy at work... Anyway, What type of Battery Tender is working best for you? I have seen them advertised with Rocky Mountain ATV so far....

Also, This is way off the subject, but there is some good knowledge here, unless I am not seeing things, there is no Master Link on a stock '06 450R. Why is that? I have a '00 400EX also, and it did not have one either.

curly420 11-23-2006 11:50 PM

when i first got my 2006 450er the guy that delievered it said to give it a little gas when your starting it so i did well one week after i got it my starter clutch went out i was pissed cause it costed me $637.89 so yeah dont do that

hondaTRX450rider 11-26-2006 09:34 PM

so basicall he is saying dont start it and hold down the gas at the same time????

Whiteboy223 02-03-2019 10:31 PM

450er

Can anyone tell me wat size fielder gage the valves should be set on intake and exhaust on a 2007 trx450er i can't find anything on line for 450ER I only find 450R thanks

adalah 02-12-2019 10:20 AM

Thanks for the information!!http://juragan.club/assets/4/o.png

Whiteboy223 04-02-2019 09:32 PM

450er cranks over real hard

Hello guys I have a 450 er 2007 that I'm working on for my cousin I noticed it cranks over real hard only half a turn at a time. Valves r set like they should b. But I noticed on the right exhaust valve the one with the decompression arm if I tighten the lil adjuster screw almost all way down it cranks over like a dream but if I tighten it to were it just starts touch the rocker arm it cranks over hard like a week battery but the battery is brand new the hole top end was just redone anybody got idea wat it could be. Is it a bad decoration release or wat thanks for any help