Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Blown main fuse '01 Rancher

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown main fuse '01 Rancher

After ridin the bike for a week, we put it on the trailer and drove 800 miles home. When we went to unload we turned the key on and get no response. No lights or anything, it is the ES model so does have the display panel. The main 30A fuse is blown. Each time we attempt to put a new one in it arcs/blows. Battery is good. Disconnected a clip that houses a red wire that exits directly underneath where the fuse would fit into the fuse box. The wire runs to.. from what I can tell on a parts schematic to be a Motor Assy. Control. located on the front side of the engine. Once disconnected the fuse is able to put installed and not blown. Anyone think this motor could have gone out? Not quite sure what to think of it. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

Just went through the exact same thing a couple weeks ago on my friend's Warrior. Turned out to be a few wires rubbing together where the steel clamp holding it against the frame had rubbed through several layers of insulation. If I were you I would take the time and check all wires very carefully even those that are under electrical tape. His did the same thing, it was running great than all of a sudden just shut off in the middle of the trail:-( It took us a couple times to finally find the spot but sure enough there it was. Taped the wires up and it fired right up!!!!! Good luck

Old 04-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I figured something had to have vibrated and shorted out since it was fine when we pulled it on the trailer. I'll start tearing the electrical tape off and start looking for some bare wires. Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

What were you able to find? I am going through the same thing. I don't know where to start and I don't really want to take it to a dealer for them to say it tool 8 hrs to locate. I just replaced the Angle sensor but I don't think that is the problem, even when I unplug the sensor it still blows.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:48 PM
xtc
Range Rover

Honda3883,You definitely have a short to ground in the cicuit.Do you have a electrical meter that tests for volts and continuity.If you do or can get one,i can help talk you through some troubleshooting.I am not a quad mechanic but a air conditioning tech that know how to troubleshoot circuits..let me know if ya need help

Old 03-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

humvee8
Yes, the shift control motor will blow the main fuse when faulty. The unit can be unbolted from the engine and bench tested with some jumper leads from a 12 volt battery via its connector. The motor should spin when connected, and spin the opposite direction when the leads are reversed at the motor's connector. If the unit passes both tests in direction, there is a problem within the wire harness.

----- Gregg -----

Old 03-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys. Is there a way to do the bench test without actually pulling the ES motor? Im no mech but if there is an easy way- I need it! Yes, I do have a electronic meter that does all the measurements. Any help is appreciated. If there isn't an easy way, I will pull it off and bench test. Are there any seals or anything that I need to watch out for when pulling the unit off? BTW, I was getting a reading of 52.4 Amps (draw) when reading at the fuse box.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Why not just unplug the motor, if you stop blowning fuses, then it's probly gotten water in the shift motor.

You can make a simple tool with an old turn singal and plugg the wires into the fuse that is blowning to see if you have found the problem or not. If the light goes out you found your short if it stays lite then there is still a short.

I resently ran into a problem like this on a rubicon, turned out that the guy charged his battery backwards. Only possible if the battery is really low.