Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

installed nerfs on the wifes 250.....i'll never buy AC again!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed nerfs on the wifes 250.....i'll never buy AC again!

what should have taken 20 minues max ended up taking over 2 hours. i ordered a set of AC racing nerf bars over a month ago and finally received them this week. so i roll the 250ex off the trailer and start to wrenching. immediately i noticed that the welds on the front tabs were off by about 1/2 of an inch on both sides. as you can imagine, installing the nerfs required a significant about of bending, hammering, cussing, and generally made the entire ordeal very unpleasant.
i finally got them installed but i doubt that the bolt heads will hold forever as they are under a bit of stress at the moment. if they end up snapping i'll have to get more creative.
i'm sure there are a few that have not had the same problem but the fact of the matter is I have installed pro armor nerfs on 3 other quads and they all fit perfectly. i can understand if the tabs were just a little off, but these were grossly misdone. if pro armor ever makes nerfs for the 250 i'm going to buy as set and burn these.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

Maybe you had a set of bars for a different model, it happens sometimes and would make sense on why the tabs are not measuring up.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I have heard multiple complaints of AC parts and poor fit, I have yet to receive anything that didn't fit well enough. Their instructions suck though. Sorry to hear about your problems though.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer

Can I ask where you ordered them from?

DWT

Old 04-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Trailblazer

if i were you i woulda sent them back for different ones. the welder probly came to work drunk and could concentrate on what he was doing.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Rydehertz
Maybe you had a set of bars for a different model, it happens sometimes and would make sense on why the tabs are not measuring up.
sorry, i should have explained this a bit better. the bars are for a 250ex. the reason they don't fit perfectly is when they are installed the left tab is 1/2 too high and the right side tab is 1/2 inch to low. just out of curiousity, i measured the distance/angle of the pegs they mount to (thinking maybe they were slightly off as well) and they are spot on.

as i mentioned before, if they were just a bit off that would be one thing. but the fit on these is horrible. i honestly don't know how these made it out the door.

Originally posted by: ONEANDONLYDWT
Can I ask where you ordered them from?

DWT
i ordered them from motosport.com
in retrospect, i probably should have ordered the DG nerfs from rocky mountain atv.

Originally posted by: RobGonz
if i were you i woulda sent them back for different ones. the welder probly came to work drunk and could concentrate on what he was doing.
i did consider doing so but my wife will not ride her quad without a set of nerfs on it. i've had the 250ex for over 2 months now and she has not been able to ride it yet. besides, if i sent them back there is no telling how long it would take for AC to ship out a new set and there is no guarantee that they would be any better.

Old 04-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Range Rover

i've had bad experiences as well. i bought a set of the pro peg nerfs, and they were missing two tabs, and the welder had burned through and slag was inside where the bars had to fit over the pegs. I called them up, and they said they couldn't do anything because they didn't have any in stock. ( I live about 20 minutes from their headquarters) I was also reall discouraged dealing with AC.