Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Do we really need a Honda big bore sport quad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do we really need a Honda big bore sport quad?

The whole point here is that THERE IS A REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT! A high tech motor in a very light chassis (favorable power/weight ratio), can beat a bigger, heavier machine that has more displacement.

Case in point: In the Baja 500, the huge Can-Am Outlander 800 finished last behind a field composed entirely of 450R's.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of us just like big bores rather than the revvy 450s.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Why does Honda need a big bore sport quad? I am the happy owner of an 04 Raptor but, would have to give any Honda big bore a good hard look. When I went looking for a new quad at the end of 04, my choices were limited. I had the DS650, Honda 450R, the Predator and the Raptor. I wasn't able to ride any of them and wasn't concerned about having the fastest of the bunch. At the time, it boiled down to how comfortable the quad felt and the availability of reverse.
If they had a big bore quad, with reverse, there might not be so many Raptors running around out there. A Honda big bore could be the best thing to happen to the Raptor. Direct competition leads to refinement and everyone knows that Honda builds quality stuff.
Have a nice day.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: reconranger
The whole point here is that THERE IS A REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT! A high tech motor in a very light chassis (favorable power/weight ratio), can beat a bigger, heavier machine that has more displacement.

Case in point: In the Baja 500, the huge Can-Am Outlander 800 finished last behind a field composed entirely of 450R's.
One thing you don't take into consideration, is that the teams that win baja are MUCH more prepared in all fairness.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Honda spends more time and money than anybody on the Baja races, if they used a Bomb 800 they would still win. But I do think that the Honda's are a great platform for these races.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

And the smaller hight tech motor like a 450 comes at somewhat of a price, and that price is reliability. Take a XR650 vs. and CRF450X, the XR650 will make it around the world a few times, the 450 won't. Plus some people like the power of a big bore, there is a difference. For racing, the small package is the way to go, but for recreation, it's preferance which a lot of times is the preferance for reliability.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-05-2006, 02:44 PM
TPR
The Champ

Aside from one engine failure, the results in Baja had nothing to do with rider or BRP equipment. It was out of their hands and there was nothing they could do during the race to improve the situation, so they retired before they destroyed the quads or hurt a rider.

TPR

Old 06-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Red Rider

TPR-Let's get up to date! You are talking about LAST YEARS RACE where the Bombs had tire problems! Please check the new 06 race results! http://bajaracingnews.com/

motox-What, you don't think Can-Am didn't prepare its a$$ off for this race, with their repuataion on the line??? Listen to the interview with Fredrichs: http://race.off-road.com/race/articl....jsp?id=330971 Seems to me that the new Renagade is just going to be a stripped down Outlander, so those interested in it should take note.

And yes, everybody who WANTS a big bore Honda, should have one......I just don't think it will happen....... But, I think I have personally decided that I neither need or want one.

The winning Honda dirt bike team was on a 450X, so I am convinced that Honda is putting all its eggs in that basket.....

Old 06-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

motox-What, you don't think Can-Am didn't prepare its a$$ off for this race, with their repuataion on the line??? Listen to the interview with Fredrichs: <a href="http://race.off-road.com/race/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=330971">http://race.off-road.com/race/articl...0971</A> Seems to me that the new Renagade is just going to be a stripped down Outlander, so those interested in it should take note.
Believe me, Honda is a LOT more prepared.

And yes, everybody who WANTS a big bore Honda, should have one......I just don't think it will happen.......
I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't either. BUT, if you want to be the big dog on the block, you have to cover all your corners.

The winning Honda dirt bike team was on a 450X, so I am convinced that Honda is putting all its eggs in that basket.
Oh I agree, especially with the dirtbikes. But there is a big difference when comparing dirtbike and quad engine sizes, because on a bike most people can't handle a 250f, but on a quad it is much easier to handle a 650cc. Not that they need it, but ATV'ers typically think they can handle much more.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Range Rover

I must say that I truely want a 650-750cc Honda sport quad. I am a big guy at 6'3" 235lbs and would be more comfortable on a larger bike. Most likely I will keep my 450R as well as buy the Big Bore if it is ever made. I still have my 1985 ATC 250r and will not part with it, either. I just want a big comfy sport bike with lots of power to trail ride with. If it never comes out will I get a Raptor, NO WAY! I just want a big bore Honda, simple as that! I am pleased with my 450r, but it has its shortcomings, like kick start, and no reverse, but overall I am pleased! Come on Honda give us what we want!!!!!

Old 06-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with MARKDB420. I am a bigger guy too (6'1" 245) and I trail ride. I don't race and have no plans to so, as great as the 450 sport quads are, I just prefer the big displacement ones. I probably will never buy a Raptor 700r as long as my 660r is running well and as long as there is hope that Honda builds a big-bore.

Old 06-06-2006, 04:32 AM
Red Rider

Having a bigger frame quad for bigger guys, is a whole different issue than just having a big bore engine in a 400EX size frame! There is certainly a market niche there, seeing that the DS and Kawi 700 are both way overweight. But if we saw a 650EX, I bet it wouldn't be any bigger framed than a 400EX and it wouldn't be over 400 pounds.

The Raptor isn't really a large frame machine, even though it has a big bore engine. And, the 700 looks to be even trimmer than the 660 was. So, you can't really say that Yamaha has a large frame sport quad either.

Yet, it is ironic that there are a whole bunch of utility quads that are absolutely huge!

Quick Reply: Do we really need a Honda big bore sport quad?