Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Do we really need a Honda big bore sport quad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No need for a Honda big bore sport quad

Bell finished first OVERALL at the Baja 500, on a 450X. The X can beat the XR650, so why do we even need a Honda big bore sport quad?????

http://race.off-road.com/race/articl....jsp?id=330982

Old 06-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Do we really need a Honda big bore sport quad?

If honda had a trail version of the 450 built with reverse, a larger frame, more torque, and more recreation oriented internal gear ratios then I'd say no.

Until then I think honda is missing out on an important part of the atv market.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Red Rider

I agree. They should have made an MX version that is 50" wide, and a trail version with all the things you said.

I trail rode (rough, narrow, technical trails) my buddies 06 for several hours last weekend, and I really don't have any complaints except it need a gearing change. My 04 is set up for desert, so I would never trail ride it, especially when I have a superb 400EX for trails.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I have not had the privilledge of riding a 650 but I'd imagine from what I've seen, heard, and know about the specs that we'd see a more powerful incarnation of the 400ex, which is exactly what I think Honda should put forth.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I find amazing is that Yamaha put forth so much effort on the 700R when no one else really builds direct competition for it. The DS would be the closest, but it really isn't a 50 state ride like the Raptor is. I would love to see Honda step it up with a little competition. Or any manufacturer for that matter. I sure wouldn't mind trading in the 450 for an open classer with a little less edge in a few years Honda, hint hint.

Old 06-05-2006, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess need is relative to what they want to sell. they could easily make one.

the raptor has been out for several yrs and has no honda nemesis to compete with it- if they havent made it by now and with the 450s out - the screams for such a 650EX bike are not as loud anymore...would i like to see one yes, but id also like to the the 450R get done right. I cant say its a masterpeice yet. The handling, c of g, and suspension still are not 100%. Dont really have a complaint with the engine but i think they should have left the oil cooler on for the 06.....I dont think it has a lack of torque- its just that the gearing is not really matched for the engine, imo. First is too tall for some (works of for me, esp in dunes) and fifth seems like it comes up short. If it had a 6th gear, the gear ratios would/could be more suitable for varous types of situations: i was thinking this when i was on the 250R today (as you know it has a 6speed) keep shifting for speed or stay in the low enough 1st for technical stuff....bring back the 6 speed trannys!

with kawasakis new 450 having reverse, efi, al frame, AND reverse, its only a matter of time until we see this on the other 450s. trail versions area good idea but it would be better for them if they made one version of the bikes. who really is racing the "ready for the track" LTR450 COMPLETELY stock? Even Gust and Jones are running different suspension stuff. WTH?? if it was sooo good, why did they switch this stuff out? Money from FOX?? most racers will prob change it out anyway b/c allot of them want 50" not 49" and they will probably still want roll or some other a-arm maker to help give them "the edge," even if it turns out to be a mental or placebo effect.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:19 AM
Red Rider

If a 450 can beat a 650 (or a Raptor 700), what's the point in going retro and developing a big bore???

The big advantage of the 450 is light weight, and more favorable power to weight ratio (120 hp per liter!). On the other hand, XR riders don't like the vibration of the screaming little 450.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:02 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off I don't race ad own a 450R. I think that there is a need for a big bore. I have 2 friends that recently purchased 700 Raptors. the reason they went for this bike over the 450r is the plusher seat, plusher ride and more trail friendly power, oh yeah and reverse. There is demand for the big bore Honda. This is an example of two formerly Honda riders that had to reluctantly switch brands to get what they want. I am not saying the 450R isn't good, because I like mine, but a less high strung big bore with roughly the same power with e-start and reverse would be a welcome choice for some of us!

Old 06-05-2006, 09:47 AM
Red Rider

Think about it. How many years has the XR650 been out???? When it first came out, I said to myself that there would be a quad out in a year with that engine. And how many years ago was that????

Old 06-05-2006, 10:05 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, if they want to have a market for all types of ATV'ers. Whether we 'need' one or not, that is another question. But regardless, there is still a lot of buyers out there who think "bigger is better".

More importantly every brand needs two versions of their respected 450's, a MX and "trail" or XC type version. I think Honda really hurt their '07 sales this year, because now a days, flagship ATV's are going to get updates about every year just like the 2 wheelers.

Quick Reply: Do we really need a Honda big bore sport quad?