Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What's Honda's next BIG BORE Sport Quad ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's Honda's next BIG BORE Sport Quad ??

When the XR650 first came out, if Honda had thrown that engine in a 400EXish chassis, they whould have cornered the market. But, unfortunately at the time they were sinking all their R&D into developing utility quads with highly complex automatic transmissions, and for those years the sport quad lineup was left to absolutely stagnate!

Yamaha forced Honda's hand on the 450R (Honda had to rush the development on that one), but apearently Honda has no interest in competing with the big bores (and the 450 is faster anyway!). Rumor has been that the XR will be history soon, and if you look at Honda's desert racing efforts, the Baja 500 was recently won by a 450X, so it looks to me like Honda is putting all its eggs into the 450 basket.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:53 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

What happened to Bings post? I was just going to comment on it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey reconranger, would something like this have you jumping ship?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/494608.cfm

Old 06-27-2006, 05:37 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
What happened to Bings post? I was just going to comment on it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

i went to edit it,,,,and deleted it by accident,,,,and got frustrated,,,,,then had to use the little boys room....oh well

Old 06-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: RedGoblin
Hey reconranger, would something like this have you jumping ship?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
clicky

There's you a clicky.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2006, 11:49 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Lots of us have been looking for a lightweight 4X4 for years! I really think this is the machine that would best fit most riders needs.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Trailblazer

funny how the whole thread can get changed when others change the subject. I thought I started this as a BIG BORE 'SPORT' Thread ??

Old 06-29-2006, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

I think they should blow everyones mind with a CR500 powered quad
you're are not too far off. honda had a TRX500R in development to compete against the quadzilla back in the day. it was supposed to be relased in 89 or 90, but when the lawsuits hit them they pulled the plug on it and upped the price of the 89 250R by 33% from the 88 model and after that dropped it. they by far absorbed most of the lawsuits and bad publicity from that era. it sent the big red army into retreat until they woke up alitttle in 92 with the re-release of the 250x then in 93 they made it a 300ex and were asleep until 99 when the 400ex was released. i think that kinda sparked the market. once the other OEMs saw honda was getting serious again they all started development on new models...and thanks to conitnous competition we have great choices today and it will only get better if we keep the idiots and treehuggers away.

at this point the big bore honda, if was a sport bike, would have to have to be a 700, have EFI to say that its a true raptor competitor.

.....and what an intersting thread about a 4x4 light 450 from suzuki..hope its not a rumor. it they do make one and do it right, they just officially started the next, long awaited class of atving...

Old 06-29-2006, 12:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Floorit
funny how the whole thread can get changed when others change the subject. I thought I started this as a BIG BORE 'SPORT' Thread ??
You didn't "start" anything, a big bore honda has been seriously discussed since 2000. You're just rehashing a tired subject. At least there is recent hope for the other quad that is being discussed, a big bore honda is no more likely this year than it has been since 2003.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
Lots of us have been looking for a lightweight 4X4 for years! I really think this is the machine that would best fit most riders needs.
Would you be one of the first in line if it happened?

Quick Reply: What's Honda's next BIG BORE Sport Quad ??