ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   honda replacement keys (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/248161-honda-replacement-keys.html)

badge171 08-29-2006 10:06 AM

honda replacement keys

Can anyone tell me how to get a replacement key for my 03 Rancher es dealer in my area not willing to give the help needed.looking for oem with the rubber boot .thanks

Michael2 08-29-2006 11:48 AM

honda replacement keys

On my 2001 Rubicon my dealer tried to cut a key but it never worked. As far as I know the only way to get a new key with the rubber boot is to replace the ignition switch. I don't remember the cost at the dealer but I know you can find them on ebay and I believe they come with 2 keys with the rubber boot.

mykool61679 08-29-2006 05:03 PM

honda replacement keys

not for sure about all, but my rancher has 3 numbers/letters on it , and all you have to do is tell them and pick up the key![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

TL450R 09-03-2006 11:03 AM

honda replacement keys

usually the service dept in most dealerships cut keys. the rubber boot doesnt come with it and its a couple bucks i think

KNOWSALOT 09-03-2006 04:20 PM

honda replacement keys

Different options depending on where you go.

The only way to get a precut key WITH the rubber boot is to buy a new ignition switch that comes with 2 new keys...OR...pay $7-$9 for a single key blank and then have that key cut by the dealer...OR..the delaer will have Honda cut the key if they dont have their own machine.

The Curtis (and other brands) key blanks are a few bucks and SOME dealers have these and the machine to cut them.

You will have to call around and see what is available locally. Very few dealers other than your big stores can cut keys for ATVs. For the expense in what is needed to get initially equipped, the amount of keys sold sometimes never make it worth the purchase cost of getting setup. Not only that, the rarely used key blanks for an ATV through Curtis for example cost more than a traditional automotive or house key blank. Figure that one out. lol

KNOWSALOT 09-03-2006 04:23 PM

honda replacement keys

Oh, and by the way....ALL Honda ATV use the same basic key code for the dealer to need. It consists of one letter and 2 numbers. Letter is always A-D only.

A,B,C, or D.....followed by a 2 digit number.

IF you have no key at all, remove the switch from the dashboard and the keycode is stamped into the switch housing. This will have a couple other numbers in the code to throw off wannabe thiefs,...but the code is there.

HR 09-04-2006 11:36 AM

honda replacement keys

i went to a local lock smith and he cut me 4 keys with rubber boots. i think is was like 15$ otd. they dont say honda on them but look just like them. just a thought. my dealer can't and wont order keys. something about the quad being stolen or some sh*t. check a lock smith out. ya never know.
i stashed one key on the qaud incase i loose or forget my key. it's in a spot no one will ever find. heck sometimes i can't hardly find it.. lol

HR

Vivalaadio 03-12-2007 07:12 PM

honda replacement keys

Ok I Have Lost My Keys I Have The Number That Was On My Key.....The One Letter Two Digit Thing....Is That All They Need To Know To Make A New Key???

badge171 03-13-2007 09:15 AM

honda replacement keys

for my lost key found a honda supplier on line purchased 2 blank original keys(needed letter code from ignition switch housing) local lock smith cut keys for me.