Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

what the,my 07 trx allready needs a new piston

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what the,my 07 trx allready needs a new piston

Thats right thats what the darn hrc booklet says after 15 hours if being raced well .3 trips to pismo at 6 hrs of riding and lots of drags plus about 4 trips to hollister hills i must have about 30 hours on it why do they say replace piston and pin does the piston itself wear is it forged ? and can u hone the cylender when replacing the piston i could do all the work my self but i am leary about spending the money and or tearing it down to see nothing wrong but the i dont want to leave it if its going to ruin the cylender or have the piston come apart it rattles alot but its a;llways done that its supposed to it must have a forged piston with lots of cylender wall clearance to rattle like they do at idle .has any body tore theres down what did you find ?

Old 09-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Other than checking the valve clearances, I would leave it alone until you start to lose compression or burn oil. Have you checked the valves? If it ever gets hard to start all the time then your valves are probably our of spec. But more than likely you should be able to get many more hours out of your top end as long as you keep fresh oil in it and a clean air filter.

The reason Honda put 15 hours in there manuals is so they can say "I told you so" if it does blow up and have their **** covered. These are racing machines, so they can't be expected to be abused without proper maintnance like the EX's can.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer

I checked the valve clearance b4 my last ride ,it was at specs ,,when i installed the hrc i did have to go down to the honda dealer to get 1 shim to get the right clearance for one of the exhaust valves i keep the oil cleeeen its well maintained ..thanks

Old 09-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

If your valves are in check then it will be alright. Usually once they move more than once or so then the valves and springs are going to need to be replaced. But if those are staying in spec just ride it until the bike gives you signs of trouble.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:01 AM
Trailblazer

Why does the valves on those 450's get so out of wack so soon? Seems like to me they aren't that well designed engines.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

Originally posted by: Yoshiequipped
Why does the valves on those 450's get so out of wack so soon? Seems like to me they aren't that well designed engines.
Because they are pretty much a 4-stroke built to run like a 2-stroke. Meaning high reving, and that is a lot of parts to be moving that fast. Have you seen the inside of these current 4-stroke engines? The valves are very small and they move soooooo fast, it doesn't take long for them to adjust out of spec.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer

Well if you keep worring about all the sound you are going to drive yourself crazy. that is the way they are a mean work of art. the travel on the piston is only 2-3 inches at most. so yea it is going to sound as if it is going to break into a million ppieces

Trending Topics

Old 09-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer

OK well that makes sense, i mean i dont know alot about the 450's. But from what i hear and the guy told me at the honda shop tells me they are good track four wheelers meant for racing purposes vs. the 400ex is more of a low maintanance woods riding type quad that can be ridden hard without alot of maintanance involved, which for me i ride so much and i ride hard so the valves on the 450 would kill me having to tinker with them all the time.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Trailblazer

I read on here somewhere that the 450r shosks will bolt obnto the 400ex? Says that it will ride better than the 450 with them shocks? Also what ignition module would you suggest, i want alot of torque without sacrifising my mid and upper rpm ranges, does anyone have an edelbrock carb on their 400? and does it perform good? good power boost for the money or no? and those scary fast thing, i cant remember the name that goes between the airbox and the carb? also, what is the best plug, and are them things that go on the plug wire before the spark plug to boost the spark energy any good? im looking to boost my power a good bit for the cheapest amount of money as possible. whats the best pipe for torque without lossing my mid and upper with a deep low tone and isnt too loud? i have a yoshi either rs-3 or comp series now i cant remember and i hate the fact of having to pack that rascal fairly often.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

Originally posted by: Yoshiequipped
OK well that makes sense, i mean i dont know alot about the 450's. But from what i hear and the guy told me at the honda shop tells me they are good track four wheelers meant for racing purposes vs. the 400ex is more of a low maintanance woods riding type quad that can be ridden hard without alot of maintanance involved, which for me i ride so much and i ride hard so the valves on the 450 would kill me having to tinker with them all the time.
That's the reason I have a 400ex. I trail ride quads, so I want something that starts up everytime and I don't have to do much to it other than clean it and change the oil every so often.

Now I track ride dirtbikes, which is the reason I have a CRF450. I won't even let that thing touch the trails, so I can keep the hours off it.

Quick Reply: what the,my 07 trx allready needs a new piston