Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Need advice. Just got a 04 450r and want to race

Old 10-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice. Just got a 04 450r and want to race

I'm new to 4 wheelers. A few weeks ago I got a 04 450r. It has a Lrd pro 4 series exhaust, a K n N air filter, and a jet kit. Also, after we bought it we noticed that the rear axle was bent, but I really don't notice it when I'm riding and I'm wondering if I should get a new one. It's a pretty fast quad, but you can never have too much power and I wanna know if there's any cheap ways to add more power. Also, I'd like to know about any easy tricks to adjusting the suspension b/c I'm only 140 lbs. and the suspension just isn't right for me. I want to do some upcoming races, but I really need to get this stuff figured out and get some more practice. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best advice is to just attend a few races near you, see what the other racers are using - mainly the novice and intermediate level guys. The beginners might have put stuff on that they don't need, but by the time they reach the next level, they have figured out what to do. Ask about rules and requirements, attend practice days with your quad, practice, practice.... Mod it as necessary for your skill and budget.

You "can" race a stock quad. You will be faster with suspension mods first - NOT motor mods. For what it's worth, go to www.gtthunder.com and check out their 450R suspension mods. For less than $750, he can set you up with a suspension that will make you happy for the first year of racing. After that - if you still want to race - you can look into the a-arms and axle + shocks. THAT gets expensive!

Guys that spend all their money on motor first might get the holeshot, but then they can't keep the pace up and end up getting passed by guys with better suspension and better turning skills.

Have fun.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

yep def true as you will need to control what you have first but a pipe and jet kit like you have is a good start now move to the suspension like sand said and just get the feel of the track and your bike and get used to the racing atmosphere and jumping...I would ef get a new axle if you have the money for getting one and an important mod you will need when racing are a good set of tires for the track if all you are doing is racing get 18 in tires for the rear and 20's for the front as they are lower profile tire and will grip the track much better then the stock size and tires. Another thing you will need for racing is a killswitch,nerf bars,boots,helmet (of course),goggles,outfit,number plate,and chest protector,I believe thats it and get a parking brake block off plate if you don't need it because it causes drag...good luck and be safe

Old 10-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

do you have the hrc cam and air box kit on it?it is a must!! gives you tons of extra power over stock and low end that will bust stumps!and its cheap !shocks? wow i raced up to the am class and we have one fast exspert rider still with stock shocks front and rear many new riders put high roller 1.50 spacers up front to get it a bit wider really helps if ya can get a plus 2 frontend yet , stock class would be a blast too!the zukis are hard ta beat on a honda in that class! cam, air box ,jet it ,pipe it! then ride ride ride !!!!set the shocks in the middle all settings, run as low settings that ya can to get the best ride ya can with out bottoming to much get some one ta help ya its easy!when ya get elkas on her you will be in shock how soft and nice the ride is yet ya dont get slammed on the big jumps!!! rock on private!!