Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How do you fix a flat in the field?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you fix a flat in the field?

Just curious what you guys carry with you to fix a flat tire? Plugs, CO2, etc?

Old 10-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All the above you mentioned and a can of FixaFlat for just in case.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: PaulH
Just curious what you guys carry with you to fix a flat tire? Plugs, CO2, etc?
All that and Slime. A cheap bicycle pump can work too, instead of the CO2 carts.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Trailblazer

I carry several plugs and the plug tool but I also carry a very small 12volt pump cost like $20 at a parts store. All I have to do is plug it into the acc plug and set the pressure and away it goes.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

forget the c02 cartriages, usually you don't know where the leak is, and have to fill the tire at least 2 times, thats like 3-4 cartirages per fill. that gets reall expensive real quick. it took a guy 12 cartirages before he got his leak stop

Old 10-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Range Rover

i go with a cheap plug kit and a little bike pump, the pumps like 10" long, plugs fit in tool pouch and the pump can just zip tie on the frame anywhere or in my camelback... keep the rubber side down guys.. josh..

Old 10-05-2006, 12:27 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1.......get some descent tires! I run ITP Holeshot XC's on my big sport bikes, ITP TracStars on the smaller ones, and ITP Holeshot ATR's on the Rancher. None of these tires has ever let me down. What I am saying is that I have NEVER had to patch a tire of my own out on the trail, but I have patched lots of other peoples!

I run fix-a-flat in my tires, all the time. That takes care of any little thorn holes. For bigger holes, yes it only takes one CO2 cartridge to find the hole, if that. Plug the hole, takes 1-1 1/2 cartridges to air up even a large back tire. Done in 3 minutes!

I have used Slime, and it doesn't work at all. Just dries up inside the tire, leaving a hard crust.

What sport quad rider is going to carry a pump around with them? CO2 cartridges do just fine!

Old 10-05-2006, 01:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a small 12v pump + co2 cartridges. I have one of those big patch kits from the local tractor supply store. I also carry a 6K pound ratchet strap to help seat the tire if it comes off the rim.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found the best way to fix a flat in the field is to bring along a friend who is full of hot air. You know the type, they think they know everything. I figure they have enough hot air to go around......LOL. Actually, I have never had a flat in the field. But, of course I will now since I mention this....LOL.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

When I first got my quad, I took a plug and CO2 kit from my motorcycle, but when I put a stick through the tire I found it takes a lot of CO2, and that the little cone shaped plugs that work well on nail type punctures on road bike tires don't work so well on the jagged type holes you get in ATV's.

I found that the cheap, rope looking patches you get at auto parts places work better.

For inflation, I got a MiniFootPump (minifootpump.com), which inflates ATV tires quickly and easily, and fits in my quad's glove box.

Quick Reply: How do you fix a flat in the field?