Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Thoughts on the new '07 Rancher

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on the new '07 Rancher

I'm really thinking of buying one of the new Ranchers when they come out. I own a '06 Rancher 4x4 es currently and I love it. Any thoughts on the new redesign of the platform? Pros? Cons? Upgrades? Downgrades? How soon do you think these units will be hitting dealer floors?

Old 11-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

from what I have read it looks like the same frame and suspension. Same brakes. The engine an body are all new. Also, 4wd is engaged with a lever instead of a switch. I like the look and the motor is almost completely enclosed.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer

From what I understand the new Ranchers will have discs up front for brakes as opposed to the drum brakes the '06 had.

Not sure what you mean by the 4wd engaged with a lever. Can you expand?

Old 11-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am liking the new Rancher so far from the spec sheets. They look nice to boot. This may be the quad I buy to finally get my wife involved in the sport.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what Foreman dan is saying is that you can shift into and out of 4 wheeldrive with a shifter instead of a thumb switch.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Trailblazer

I really want to test ride one of these things and compare it against my '06. Is the first model year usually expected to have alot of bugs?

Old 11-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

I am a Honda guy own a 02 rubicon, but lately I have been stuck questioning Honda.

The new 420 sounds like a good unit, but why is it going to have a exposed rear drive shaft from the motor to the rear diff. (I work at a honda/ multi line dealer) Why did Honda drop the 350 rancher? There was nothing wrong with that one. Where's the IFS? Where's the front differentail lock? No power steering yet? How come they didn't make the 400 auto ranchere liquid cooled with all this jazz?

I'm still a Honda guy they go longer than most others, but after seening what all the others manufacters have it's hard to tell your friends to run out and buy one.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

This is an entry level machine, and in its class it has everything you need and nothing you don't.....and best of all it still has a nice solid time proven manual transmission! I don't see any need for either IRS, lockers, or a high/low transfer case (just put on a really low granny gear 1st) in a 400 class machine.

This machine is going to prove to be a great value: You are getting EFI, liquid cooling, disc brakes, selectable 2wd/4wd, etc., all for only $200 more than last years Rancher 350!

I DO NOT like that it has gained weight! The 350 Rancher was already to heavy for a machine of its displacement, and now they have made it even worse. Obviously to keep the price down, they stayed with the heavy steel wheels and and didn't go out of their way to put many light alloy parts on it. A set of lighter rims and tires, will be the first essential mod..........

Not sure what that **** is for on the left side next to the handlebars???? Most likely it's reverse, but it could be a manual 2wd/4wd selector???????? I don't see that it has an LCD display (????), which you would absolutely need to show folks whether they are in 2wd or 4wd, so maybe they made it manual so you couldn't miss what position the lever is in??? On the other hand, the ES sure needs an LCD for folks to keep track of what gear they are in, so it may have one and it just isn't obvious.

I was looking for Honda to get into the light hybrid 4wd class (ala the Wolverine), but they took the Rancher even bigger and heavier instead. I do need another 4wd, so I will probably either get a 420 or sell my current Rancher and get a Rhino (and just be forever done with utility quads....a class I am not all that fond of anyway!). There are certainly a lot of plusses and minuses that I have to consider, and which way I go will depend on how those stack up. If the 420 proves to be an outstanding machine, that may help me make up my mind,,,,,,,,

Old 11-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry, I meant to say same rear brake. It does come with front discs.
Not sure what is meant by exposed rear drive shaft. It has the same frame as the previous 350.
I saw a close up of the left handlebar and the reverse is still the same red button.
From the video of the realease, the lever is for 2wd/4wd and is absent on the 2wd model.

Old 11-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Good observation! I never thought to look at the 2wd model and see if the lever was missing........

I have a Warn 424 on my present Rancher, and sometimes it isn't convenient to take your hands off the bars and reach down to get into or out of 4wd. Making it manual, probably helps keep the price down.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new '07 Rancher