ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   Fixing my 300ex, need some guidance. (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/263549-fixing-my-300ex-need-some-guidance.html)

redranger1 04-01-2007 10:35 PM

Fixing my 300ex, need some guidance.

Ok fellas, after nearly three years of sitting with a bent axle im going to finally fix my 300ex. Dug it out of the barn and after a lil while i got it to run. And after 3 years of sitting she has developed a lil bit of a pop which i think is just a sticky valve. I was pretty impressed that it even started at all! Anyhow ive decided i need to replace the chain and sprockets aswell as new bearings and seals while i have it apart. A few questions. Should i stay with the factory chain and sprocket size or would i benefit from steping up to the next higher ratio that i can get? I would love to get a lil more speed from it as i will be the smallest sized quad with the group of guys i ride with yet i do have alot of hills and woods i ride in. Also, do i need to remove the swing arm to change the chain or is there a master link? What do you suggest to use for a chain and sprocket kit or would i be better off getting those items seperatly? Ive decided to go with a G-Force axle to replace my bent one. But i need to know if it is compatable with all of my factory parts? Also, how does a guy get the bearings out of the carrier? What is a good replacement bearing and seal kit? And finally the muffler is full of dobbers and had a birds nest in it so i think i would be better off to get a new one but cash is limited at this point. Anybody got a used system they would sell? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and help fellas.

-Nathan

JCrider 04-01-2007 11:17 PM

well as far as the pipe goes, just take it off and hose it out till the water runs nearly clean then spray some wd40 in it and stand it up on end to drain

redranger1 04-02-2007 12:33 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. BTW, Jeff City is only bout 40 min from me, im from Iberia. Ever been to Finger Lakes just past Columbia on HWY 63?

-Nathan

JimmyHoffa 04-02-2007 10:34 PM

YEAH! when you get it fixed make sure to go there and roll it down one of those rocky hills and bend the axle again! That's my favorite spot.

JimmyHoffa 04-02-2007 10:54 PM

I have a master link in my stock D.I.D. chain so I don't have to pull the swinger. If you have the stock chain, you have to pull the swinger unless you want to cut/break the chain.

Heat works wonders. Heat up the carrier to expand the aluminum and tap the bearings out.

G-Force better darn well tell you wether or not stock stuff fits their axle!

I'd go for a steeper gear ratio for more torque if you do lots of climbing. If you have a slower bike, you have a slower bike. There will always be some way your buds can tear you apart, so you might as well tune your bike for the terrain you ride. I buy stuff seperately, but it's because I'm picky. To some degree, chain is chain. (...assuming no cheap stuff!)

I like All Balls for bearing stuff. I've had much success. Make sure to start your bike after you wash the pipe. The exhaust heat will dry the guts out and help stop the rust. Hondas have a problem with that. If you wash your pipe while it's on the bike, I will slap you lightly in the face. I know you're smarter than that, but I'm just covering my rear.

JCrider 04-03-2007 08:18 PM

well if your from iberia..... do you know any of the Rowdens?....... or my cousins levi & bradley baxter?

redranger1 04-04-2007 08:36 AM

I know some Rowdens, but there are a bunch of them runnin round down here. Dont know any baxtons off the top of my head.

-Nathan