Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

New Guy w/ ? about a 99 450 Forman S

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy w/ ? about a 99 450 Forman S

I've rode motorcycles since I was 16. Done a stint as a Washington DC Motor Officer even but I just bought my first ATV. A 99 450 Forman S with 257 hours on it. It's in good shape and I plan on using it for working on my place, pulling a trailer, mower, grader blade, etc. My question is this. I just went over the whole machine. Changed out all the fluid for AMSOIL oil and Gear Oil, changed the plug, lubed all cables, checked all the nuts and bolts I could get to, topped off the brake fluid, purged the spark arrester, cleaned and re-oiled the air filter, etc etc. The owners manual that I got with it says the brakes are drum, 2 in front, one in back. Well, the one I bought has disc brakes in front. Is this ATV special or has someone added the disc brakes? Any ideas on how to get replacement pads?
Another question, I'd like to add a winch for snaking firewood out of the woods. Any suggestions for a good winch and mounting system?
Thanks,
DanoLaw

Old 04-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

There are two disc brake kits that I know of. One is Extreme Products. I am not sure of the other but I think it is High Lifter. I have the Extreme on a 2000 Foreman. I bought it through ATVOutfitters.net. He is local here for me. Matt there may be able to match them up for some new pads. You may be able to remove the pads and find a number on them.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Range Rover

Hi there you will like the 450 I also had a 99 450 great atv would do any thing for me all day I gad a warn winch on it and it worked great I never used it to pull fire wood but I used it to pull my self out or others I would use a log chain to pull fire wood out of the trees. I also used a winch mount from cycle country works great along with the cycle country plow I use it for every thing snow dirt pushing trees and rock in the drive. good luck with the new atv.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Dan. I'll try that when the time comes to change brakes. They look to be nearly new.
The guy I bought it from took it in trade for work he done when they guy that owned it couldn't pay. He signed over the title to him, he took it home and rode it in his yard some then put it up for sale for what the guy owed him, $2300. That's why he don't know much about it. Told me it had a 4 speed. That's cause he never rode it far enough to use 5th gear.
Thanks for the info,
DanoLaw

Old 04-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was looking at a set up Cabela's that included rollers and is made for the 99 Foreman. I'll look into what Warn offers too and I'll look up Cycle Works and see what they have.
Thanks for the info,
DanoLaw

Old 04-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

warn wiches adapt beautifly to a mounting kit offered by cabela's catalog-just bought a warn and mounting kit for my grizzly and it works great, just try to make sure you use the wich for rolling somthing. its not real good for hauling or yankin' on somthin. id have to agree with usin a chain for haulin logs

Old 04-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didn't mention if you did a valve adjustment. It's important, so do one if you haven't. Otherwise, it sounds like you covered all your bases as far as preventitive maintenence.

Trending Topics

Old 04-11-2007, 07:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. Made a box for my Pomeranian Buddy last night and took him for a ride. He loves riding my motorcycle and the 4x4 was no different. Found out that riding my bike then getting on the ATV can be confusing. Took off, reved the engine in 1st, grabbed a handfull of clutch to change gears :-) Yep, you guessed it. Dang near threw the dog and me over the bars. Brakes work real well, that's good to know. :-)
Ride safe,
DanoLaw

Old 04-11-2007, 07:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Didn't do a valve adjustment. I can tighten bolts, change oil, filter, plugs and the like, but I've never done or seen a valve job done. I haven't noticed any clatter like they could use a valve job. Nearest Honda dealer is 50 miles away so I'd rather do it myself if I can. Any advise would be appreciated. Gotta get me a set of ramps or a trailer. I have an F150 4x4.
Ride safe,
Dano

Old 04-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a service manual, and see if you can handle what's involved.....

The very first valve adjustment right after the machine is broken in is probably the most important. After that, every 100 hours or so is OK for that machine. But, most people don't even keep up on oil changes, much less valves. I would suspect that the majority of machines out there have never had a valve adjustment at all. Precisely why I never buy used!

Quick Reply: New Guy w/ ? about a 99 450 Forman S