Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

rincon 680 engine noise. tick, rattle? lives in service shop.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 05:56 PM
SLG
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rincon 680 engine noise. tick, rattle? lives in service shop.

new here, and just bought a 07 rincon 3 weeks ago, and its been in 2 honda dealers for the last 2 weeks trying to find out why it has a loud ticking while its in gear sitting still. 1st dealership adjusted valves, charged me $200.00 and then gave my money back when it still ticked after i picked it up. took it to a" larger dealer" where they adjusted valves, changed oil, and called me to let me know its still ticking loud. there not sure what it is, but are going thru procedures with honda before tearing the thing apart. guess what? im not too happy! the rincon runs fine, but the ticking seems abnormal. it does it after it warms up and only at idle in gear. rev and forward. its coming from top of engine somewhere. ANYONE HAVE THIS ISSUE? any info i can relay back to my dealer may help. until ???? i bought a rincon to sit at service. by the way, its under warranty. wished i had my money back.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:53 PM
Range Rover

I got rid of my 07 Rincon for that reason. The rattling noise is the automatic compression release which you cant do anything about. It goes away as you just get into the throttle, Right? The hammering piston noise is piston slap from a poorlky designed piston.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

Every Rincon has it. It is not an issue. Go get it and ride it. My "poorly designed piston" now has 1400 miles on it and it does it every time I start it.
If you want Rincon advice, go to RinconRiders website where you will get facts, not opinions.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Range Rover

I know for most guys the engine noise doesn't bother them, but I guess I'm just picky that way. I have been a lot happier with the Rubicons. Didn't mean to rile anyone up on it, and yes it is just my opinion.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Trailblazer

My Rincon Does it 24/7 when your on the gas and off and idle and in any gear it went to the shop once for a all around tune up and it quit for about three to 4 months

Old 07-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

I would actually get worried that something was wrong if mine stopped now. LOL

Old 07-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

From folloing his posts on other forums, it sounds like he has much more than normal engine noise.

Sounds like the dealer suspects the decompression system, and is going to replace the cam....

Old 09-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 680 Rincon:

One thing everybody seems to be missing here is he said the noise is when it's in GEAR. That would have nothing to do with compression release or piston design. My 07 680 runs perfect and one of the reasons I bought it was (1) because it's a Honda (2) because Honda entered a couple 680 Rincons in the Baja 1000 Super Quad Class and came in 1st and 3rd, not the Utility Class which it would have surely wiped up the competition and (3) It's a Honda.
Mine did develop a harmonic rattle just above idle, at a slow speed on the trails and only after it was warmed up. Touching the heat shield on the exhaust with a rag would stop the noise, so after tighten or attempting every exhaust clamp and bolt which were all tight, I took 2 Stainless Steel clamps and 2 five inch pieces of exhaust wrap material and clamped over the shield using the material between the clamp and shield. One at the back over the muffler and one in the front at the easiest place you can. It was a harmonic problem. The big SS clamps are readily available it any Mercruiser Boat Dealer. That fixed my only problem I've ever had with my 680 and I could caused the problem by stump jumping Cypress Knees in the Swamp and tweeking it just a little. P.S. don't bother taking the exhaust baffle out. Good luck!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:11 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

As for the noise is normal comments, I would wonder one thing.

SLG said he brought the ATV to two separate HONDA dealers,and one remover the service charge after his valve adjustment did not quite the motor noise and the other larger Honda dealership called and said the ATV still make nose after all there work.

Would not TWO business who sell Rincons all the time not know that this motor noise is common on all Rincons better then anyone else?

Old 09-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

$200.00 to adjust valves?
Geesus!!!

Quick Reply: rincon 680 engine noise. tick, rattle? lives in service shop.