Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

honda atc185s only runs good half choke

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda atc185s only runs good half choke

Do you guys think i should get a new carb. found one for 50 bucks. its a replacement. or do you think i should just find a used one on ebay?

Old 07-22-2007, 11:43 PM
Trailblazer

tell me if you think this would be a good way to go...
carburetorText

Old 07-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Trailblazer

well i figured out the problem. In case anyone else runs into this. its not perfect yet but better.... the problem is that i think whoever had it before had the float in upside down and had it adjustedthat way. i took it apart and rebuilt the carb and put the float in the right way and had this problem. i adjusted the float and boom.. much better. i think i have to adjust it some more cuz its not quit right but alot better. thanks to all who gave me advise and if anyone else has this problem check the float adjustment

Old 11-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default honda atc185s only runs good half choke"></title><script src=

I have the same problem w/ my 1983 185s. I can give it a quick stab at the throttle and it will bog/die. If I ease the throttle up it will do fine. It bogs under a load when I test ride it. I have put a new carb 'kit' in mine and have spent a ton of time and money trying to fix this problem.

I set the valves. Good.

I checked the spark to the plug. Good.

I've cleaned the carb until it looks like a mirror. It is clean, clean, clean.
Idles perfectly! Dies when throttle is applied or under a load.

-HELP US!..........

Old 11-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default honda atc185s only runs good half choke"></title><script src=

If you symtoms are "exactly" like brandondh then you are lean for some reason. If you can pull the choke on and it runs better you "are" lean.

There are many, many reasons for an engine to run lean. The most common is a clogged main jet. Or if it does not idle, it would be a clogged pilot jet.
It could even be as simple as a clogged fuel supply line or a clogged petcock screen. Even something as simple as a clogged carb vent can stop fuel from flowing into the carb fast enough and cause an engine to run lean. It can even be a cracked boot. In this case the air can bypass the carb and go through the crack without picking up any extra fuel.

An engine can even run lean if you move from lets say CO to sea level and not rejet. There is a lot more air down low then high up in the moutains.

The reason I'm telling you all of this is because "you" have to find out what is wrong with your engine. One by one you have to go through each one of these things I have listed to find the problem.

I just saw a very weird problem the other day and it took 3 "pro's" 2 days to figure out. These guys are very good but this simple problem took a long time to figure out. It happens some times.

Give it a try and see what you come up with.