Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

honda atc185s only runs good half choke

Old 07-21-2007, 01:40 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda atc185s only runs good half choke

Hello. Im pulling my hair out over this issue... got a 185s and cleaned the carb out good pulled all the jets all that stuff. ran pretty rich so kept adjusting... adjusted too much and the air screw rattled out. Bought carb rebuild kit off of ebay. rebuilt carb... after hours and hours of adjusting only runs good half choke. on no choke when you hit the throttle it bogs. idles fine but bogs and if you hold it down will die. half choke runs pretty good but on deacelreation backfires in exhaust. so i put all the old carb parts back in and tryed that. then it runs way to lean and doesnt idle right.. idle will go up and down and runs way too rich. put new stuff back in and adjusted for hours. still runs good half choke. pretty new at carbs but i know it up and down now.. am i just not adjusting it right or is there somthing else i need to look at. is it okay to run it half choke? the engine seems to get pretty hot so is that normal or am i overheating it.? not sure where to go from here. could use some help. Thanks

Old 07-21-2007, 02:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Your way lean for some reason. Why? I have no idea. Could be an air leak in the boot or ????? More than likely a main passage has crap in it. The best way now is proabably to Ebay another carb.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Trailblazer

where am i going to find different size jets for a 82. all i could find was this rebuild kit.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>You are rich obviously.</end quote></div>
AAAAA, just how do you figure he is rich when he adds more fuel ( pulls the choke on) it runs better?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Who knows what is wrong with the carb now? If you miss one part your done and it will never be right. Like I said, just Ebay a used carb for 20 bucks and go have fun riding your quad.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer

i cant belive that theres not somthing i can do except buy a new carb. its a perfectly good carb. any other ideas or is that what i need to do? could adjusting the valves have anything to do with it?

Old 07-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

You don't "have" to get a used carb but I thnk that will be the easest to get on the trail again.
A good carb guy can tell you in about a half an hour what is wrong. The problem is, shop time costs a bunch. By the time you pay the guy for carb work you could have been on the trail with your Ebay carb.

If you really want to keep the same carb your going to have to look at the main jet and the main jet passages. This is more than likely where the problem is going to be. Your going to have to confirm with carb cleaner that the passages are clear and clean.

You could check the valve adjustment. That won't do any harm, but it won't fix your carb problem either.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:34 PM
Trailblazer

ive had that sucker apart so many times i could do it in my sleep. when i rebuilt it i cleaned everything with carb cleaner and took it to work and blew out all the passages with compressed air. the main jet is the big one correct? if i shoot carb cleaner in that passage it would just go up through where the needle and sleeve are. im not quite sure where you are saying to shoot and verify this. im interested in learning and ill be happy if i can fix this myself. thanks for your help

Old 07-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Trailblazer

also.. what harm will it really do to run half choke like that? if its running ok can i just go with it?

Old 07-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

It's not a good idea. The air/fuel won't be close at all across the RPM band. You will be lean sometimes and so rich at others you will be washing down the cylinder. It's just not a good idea.

Like I said. Clean out the main jet circuit and you should be good to go.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Trailblazer

which one is the main jet curcuit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: honda atc185s only runs good half choke