Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:05 AM
67x
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plugs

I just switched all my machines over to NGK Iridium plugs due to constant fouling (I wonder if it's gas quality) on a couple and wondered if anyone has had similar problem and the subsequent results? I didn't go to hotter plugs in anything as I want to test these out for a while. cleaning fouled plugs nearly everytime we wanted to take out the toys was getting to be a pain. My Ranchers and the Predator were immune most of the time, the Ranchers are running hot plugs while my daughter winds out the Predator enough to not worry too much...

Anyone tried this- moving to premium plugs...or might I consider using higher octane gas?

Old 10-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Spark Plugs

I have iridium plugs, and have no trouble yet. I like them, and have put them in my GSXR, ATV, and trail blazer

Old 10-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark Plugs

If you are constantly fouling 4-stroke plugs in a number of different machines, you have some basic problem that isn't related to the plugs! Sounds like you are running rich everywhere!!!

Are you at high altitide??? Are you at low altitude, but for some reason all your jetting is off??? Did you get some 2-stroke pre-mix in there by mistake??? Do you neglect air filter maintenence???

I run Irridium in everything (except the 400EX where I have not been able to find an irridium plug), and I could let my plugs go for years (I don't!), and it wouldn't make a bit of difference. Never any fouling.....nice and clean with a little bit of brown color.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Red Rider
Default Spark Plugs

Trying to solve another problem with a hoter plug...might be a very bad idea!

Old 10-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default Spark Plugs

I run cold plug in the summer and a hotter one in the winter after having problems starting in cold weather per the advice of a service tech. at the local honda shop. I have never had any problems with the Irridium plugs but I have never run anything else to compare it to.
What color are the fouled plugs?

Old 10-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Red Rider
Default Spark Plugs

The "better starting with a hot plug" thing is kind of a myth. What makes a plug "hotter" is that it has a longer nose length, and that doesn't take effect until the engine is already warmed up. All the plugs are the same when the engine is cold.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/t..._plugs/p2.asp?mode=nml

Old 10-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Trailblazer
Default Spark Plugs

What would be the advantage of a "Hotter" plug?

Old 10-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Red Rider
Default Spark Plugs

A "hotter" plug is going to retain more heat and transfer less out to the engine case and away from the engine. So, the combustion chamber will be hotter, which would be appropriate when the ambient temperature is low.

The engine will run hotter ONCE IT IS WARMED UP. At a cold startup though, a cold plug is a cold plug, no matter what its heat range is, so don't fall for the better cold starts with a hot plug thing.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default Spark Plugs

That makes sense. You would think that the techs. at the local honda shop would know that.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:16 PM
67x
Trailblazer
Default Spark Plugs

it's really funny- I tend to think it's gas, since nothing else makes sense. Service is up on everything. I thought maybe it was due to not enough winding up the powerband... I live in NE Indiana BTW

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs