Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Hondamatic comes back to streetbikes in 09

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 10:49 PM
JRM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondamatic comes back to streetbikes in 09

Add a lockup feature and a new name to the trusty Hondamatic and put it back into a streetbike for 2009
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/...?ArticleID=5404&Page=1

Old 10-11-2007, 08:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hydro trans is almost identical to the rubicon/400FA

Old 10-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Man, I remember those things when they came out around 1976 or so. They were pigs. Slower than a snail. I guess they would make a good cruiser but thats about it. I think it will flop again.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:35 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

It shouldnt flop again, with a full lockup feature it wont have the slush box feel, plus computer controled and lighter weight oil in todays bikes should really help- and remember that these are only marketed to the crowd that already wants automatics, us die hard gear jammers will have our 6 speeds [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-12-2007, 03:03 AM
The Facility

Honda missed the boat yet again with this bike, and by 2 years. The Yamaha FJR fills the niche for that market and this new Honda prototype is obviously aimed at the FJR consumers. Sure, the FJR is semi auto and not full auto, but it's appealing to the same set of buyers.
Even worse is the fact that this new Honda will NOT be in the states as an 09. 2010 at best but more likely 2011.

So once again, all we have is Honda just now showing the public something they built to compete against something that Yamaha began mass production with 2 years ago. Seems the norm the past several years now.

Oh,..it will sell, no doubt, but tell that to the exclusive "Honda only" dealers who lose money every year that Yamaha has models on the floor that Honda doesnt even build competition for. Also, tell that to the true red riders who have to wait for their ride while their friend who rides blue already has the latest thing out.
Simply put,....Honda could have done this long ago and got the jump on the new niche,......but they didnt....In typical 21st century Honda fassion apparently.
My opinion? I feel that by the time this bike reaches the sales floor,...IF it reaches the sales floor,... it will be too late and the new niche will have died out tremendously.

In other Honda F.ed Up News......... Harley will have a 50cc dirtbike version of the new Buell 450 MXer for 2009. It will also have a "mini street" cruiser using that same 50cc engine.
It's now almost a given that Honda will lose it's already declining lead in shares of overall motorcycle sales for next year.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the new SxS and the late coming 700 from honda, they just keep draggin a$$

Old 10-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Interesting that the hydro transmission apparently goes into locked mode while cruising, to reduce efficency loss.

Anyway, I doubt it will sell that many units. For most folks, shifting is part of the fun of riding a street bike.

They might pick up a few posers, but mainly I think the bike will be welcomed by folks with a disability. I knew a rider with a seriously messed up left hand, and the old hondamatics were about his only choice... and they are getting hard to find.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I understand that the Yamaha FJR has an automatic clutch and electric shift which Honda has been using on their fourwheelers for years. The FJR just uses it on a large street bike. This honda trans seems similar to the transmission in my Honda Fit with the manual shift option. I read some press releases on this DN-01 bike about a year ago. I like the idea. I think that it has a midsize v twin motor and feul injection.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:46 AM
The Facility

That's the point. This isn't 1998 anymore.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

This isn't a new idea and I agree with that. It is a new combination of ideas. The FJR didn't do anything new. I have seen several FJRs on the street and none of them had the electric shift option. I also agree that this won't be a real popular bike but most new models of two wheelers and atvs don't make up a large part of a manufactures total sales If that were true the rest of the lineup would have to be kinda lousy. Everyone has their own reason to ride and own ideas about what would be good. I think that this transmission would be good in a Goldwing. But that is just my opion.

Quick Reply: Hondamatic comes back to streetbikes in 09