Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda RECON 250 Shifting Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda RECON 250 Shifting Trouble

I have a Honda RECON TRX250ES that will not shift gears. When I turn the key on, the 1st gear light will flash multiple times and I cant shift. I hear a relay clicking just before the light starts flashing. Sometimes it flashes 4 times, sometimes 6, sometimes 9.

Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 11-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check with the dealer for a recall on some ES components!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Code #4 is gear position switch system .. Code #6 is ECU fail safe relay circuit ... Code #9 is an angle sensor code ... The couplers should be cleaned/greased the codes erased and the bike re-tested ..

2002-04 TRX250TE Recons have a product update on angle sensors made in Mexico , there is a serial number range of affected bikes ...

Old 11-14-2007, 10:13 AM
TIC
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a quote from GIMPSTER. This member is very very helpful, Ive had my angle sensor replaced on my wifes 2002. we were then later payed back by honda for the repairs we had payed for ALMOST 2 years later! But they took care of us none the less. The parts in question were made in Mexico. And they will replace it. I now run amsoil in my rubicon and Recon and the shifting performance on the recon is 100% better! NO MORE HONDA ROCK OR STUCK IN GEARS.

FROM GIMPSTER
"On the Recon the angle sensor is located on the front of the engine, just around where your left toes are when setting on the quad. A 10mm socket and ratchet will be needed to remove the protective shield covering the sensor. Normally I will unplug the sensor first before removing the shield. It makes it easier as these shields are a pain to remove. One end wraps around the end of the sensor and has to be turned just right to totally remove it. To remove the sensor, a 4mm allen wrench or allen socket is needed. The new sensor comes with an o-ring, do not forget to replace it on the sensor. Also check the shaft seal when the sensor is removed. I have found a number of these leaking oil also. Replace if any seapage is noted. Then install the new angle sensor. Reconnect the wire connector. When the cover is installed properly, the wiring leading to the sensor is routed behind a 'flap' bent into the angle sensor protective cover.
There is a service bulletin on these sensors, have your Honda dealer run your vin number on their system to see if it is covered and have them replace it, free of charge.
Honda had a company (in Mexico) contracted to build these sensors. The company decided on their own and short cut the specs required by Honda. Honda warned them about the issue and on the 3rd time pulled their contract. The sensors are now being produced in Japan. They are more reliable and should not require replacement again under normal riding situations thereafter.
If you replace the sensor yourself, check the system for codes and remove them for future diagnostic checks.
A quick check of your sensor with an ohm meter is to measure from the center terminal on the sensor to the outside ones, seperately. If there is a difference of around 9 ohms between the 2 tests, the sensor is bad. Honda had to program a margin of error into the ECU for play that can develop within the gears of the shift angle system. The spec mentioned above will confirm the sensor is out of range.

Happy 4 wheelin'

----- Gimp -----