Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Wear and tear of leaving an ATV outside, vs. storing it inside.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:26 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wear and tear of leaving an ATV outside, vs. storing it inside.

Hello Everyone,

Trying to decide what's best for my new Foreman. Would it be hard on the quad to leave it outside with a good cover versus leaving outside with a good cover, under a roof, etc...?

I don't have a garage to store my quad in, but I am looking around my area where I live and I have two options.

1. leaving it in an uncovered storage lot with a nice ATV cover
2. leaving it at a covered storage lot with a nice ATV cover.

What do you all think? How much wear and tear does leaving a quad outside actually occur? I want to take care of my quad, so that's why I am coming to you all. Any other advice on storage advice?

I just picked up the deluxe cover from Cabela's

Thanks everyone,
Jeff

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 02-28-2008, 06:40 AM
Trailblazer

Of course your best bet would be to keep the ATV in a garage, but this is not always possible. If garage storage is not feasible, then you have to do the next best thing which might be keeping it under a covered carport of some sort. If neither of these plans works, and you do have to keep it outdoors, a flexible cover of some sort is absolutely necessary.

If possible, you might try and store the covered ATV alongside a building for at least some protection from the weather. Anything you can do to keep moisture and direct sunlight off the machine will be to your advantage, and keep the ATV from looking old before its time.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Is purchasing an enclosed trailer a possibility? If you do that, have some events open on the trailer, and maybe release the tension on straps.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts

An enclosed trailer is an excellent suggestion. We have 4 quads and always have two in the garage and two in the trailer.
Maybe you could pick up one of those cheap storage sheds from Sears or Home Depot and put your quad in that? Unless of course you live in an apartment.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

If you just have the one, you could make a pretty decent shelter for it for less than 150 bucks. Not talking about a full sized shed, just something big enough to push it in and pull it back out. Dirt floor and an open end. May be a little more if you wanted to put a door and possibly a lock on it.

Really, not that much more than a high end cover.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

Get it inside if at all possible. We have an 08 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i at work that stays outside. It has 1 hour, 5 miles and rust.[img]i/expressions/brokenheart.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a metal shed from sears. Shop online I got mine a 10' x 12' for $300 and by buying online they threw in a floor kit. Took the whole weekend putting up but I leveled out the ground put in some gravel, threw plywood and watersealed it, then threw the building together. To be honest it was a major pain in the ****, definitely get a screwgun and maybe even a box of self tappers as its a pain to put all the screws in the predrilled holes but it is possible. Also try and do on a cloudy weekend cause you'll definitely get a good sunburn from the reflection. Oh and plan on losing about a pint of blood. All and all definitely worth it, I have 3 quads, air compressor, storage shelves and numberous other things in it. It's also great for wrenching on them when the weathers bad just pull one out and you got enough room to crawl around. All and all I probably have about 500 bucks wrapped up in it, which isnt bad to keep $15,000 out of the weather.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Rowe

You can get a metal shed from sears. Shop online I got mine a 10' x 12' for $300 and by buying online they threw in a floor kit. Took the whole weekend putting up but I leveled out the ground put in some gravel, threw plywood and watersealed it, then threw the building together. To be honest it was a major pain in the ****, definitely get a screwgun and maybe even a box of self tappers as its a pain to put all the screws in the predrilled holes but it is possible. Also try and do on a cloudy weekend cause you'll definitely get a good sunburn from the reflection. Oh and plan on losing about a pint of blood. All and all definitely worth it, I have 3 quads, air compressor, storage shelves and numberous other things in it. It's also great for wrenching on them when the weathers bad just pull one out and you got enough room to crawl around. All and all I probably have about 500 bucks wrapped up in it, which isnt bad to keep $15,000 out of the weather.</end quote></div>

Got one of those too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Good idea to get a friend to help. And trust me, a windy day is not the best time to put one up. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was a kid my grandpa always kept the quad (TRX300 fourtrax 4x4) outside in the backyard, covered up well, and after 10 years of use it was still a nice quad and I can't think of any problems we ever had with it. Granted, it had a fairly easy life, but I can't even remember much rust on it, and back then there was a lot more metal on them.

Now would I keep my own outside, if I had no other option it wouldn't kill me, but I would much rather keep them inside a shed or garage.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

P.S., if you are going to have it sit out in the winter and not use it much, put a mixture of oil (light amount) and diesel fuel in a spray bottle, and spray the mixture on the metal parts. Makes a mess, but that does wonders for things here in Ohio that sees some bad winters at times.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Range Rover

I purchased one of those 10x10 tarp Shelterlogic shelters from Canadian Tire the fall for $120. It wasn't hard to set up at all and it is water and snow proof. I had it set up all winter now with no problems. Here in Newfoundland we had a hard winter and it has stood up to all the wind, rain and snow. I also covered my quad with an atv cover and wrapped it all up with a large blue tarp. I uncovered it and everything looks fine so far.

Quick Reply: Wear and tear of leaving an ATV outside, vs. storing it inside.