Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What do you think ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 04:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think ?

Hello everyone

I will try and make it as short as possible!!

I have a honda trx 400 ex 2005 for a year now and it runs perfect , every gear runs smoothly from closed to full throttle , no sputtering , boging or anything and she is stock , I did nothing to her except take the original exhaust spark arrestor out

But my problem is that my spark plug is so damn black !

Carbon fouled powdery black, the atv does smell heavy on Gas while idling also , and very rarely while trying to hold a wheelie at high rpm a shot of black smoke would come out sometimes !!

I think I need to rejet , my atv does not have an adjustable needle So I ordered a Dynojet kit which arrives next week ,

I was reading the instructions online and it says for my model to bump the main jet about 5 sizes up ,won’t this make my bike even richer , is this really necessary or should I just lean the needle ? Oh and to mention I have never touch the air/fuel mixture screw , could it be as simple as adjusting it that fixes my problem ?

I use the correct plug specified in the manual , I also read that riding at low speeds can carbon foul your plug , it’s that where I live atvs are road legal and I use it a lot around the village I live and I’m mostly at 0 to 1/2 throttle or a bit more , hardly at WOT

Like I said the atv runs perfect , no stuttering or bogs I just want the spark plug to look normal !