Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Recon 250

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Recon 250

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum as well as new to the ATV world. I've been looking at atv's for a while now and I ended up getting a used 2000 Recon. It is in good shape overall but there are a few things I need to do to it to get it where I want it. First, the idle seems to be set to low because it keeps cutting off, even when using the choke, until after it has gotten really warmed up (after 3-5 minutes of running). Any suggestions? Second, the reverse doesn't work and the guy I bought it from said it had been working. I called a Honda tech and he said adjust the tension on the cable first and see if that fixes it so I will be giving that a try over the weekend.

Anyway, here is a pic and sorry for the long post...
Name:  4wheeler1.jpg
Views: 3294
Size:  109.5 KB

Old 03-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda Recon 250

Do you have an owner's manual? Get a service manual as well! Looks like it has wheel spacers.

Have the valves been adjusted lately??? Most owner's are oblivious and completely neglect this, and that (and oil issues) is why I have never bought a used atv or motorcycle. Adjust them is it has not been done recently!!!

There is a throtle stop screw on the side of the carb, jsut turn it up a little and that may help your cold start/idle issues. Beyond that, at its age it could probably use a carb cleaning. Pay particular attention to the slow (idle/pilot) jet, and readjust the fuel screw when you reinstall it. This should help as well.

First off, adjust the clutch. The procedure is easy and in the owner's manual. Is the reverse not working at the foot shifter, or is it possible that the lock out (red button you have to push then hold the brake) isn't working right or maybe you weren't shown how to use it properly????

Keep up on oil changes. It has no oil filter, but does have a very effective centrifugal oil cleaner which needs to be done every 200 hours (at is age it is probably overdue). I would suggest changing out the gear oil in the rear end as well, unless the previous owner can swear he did it recently.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Range Rover
Default Honda Recon 250

I think the reverse issue is with the red button/brake cable. I'm not positive of that but it had been working previously. As far as I know you push the red button in and squeeze the brake to engage it, then press the foot shifter down. Is that right?

As for the idle, when I start it up I continue to give it a little gas to keep it running and it backfires a little bit. Not sure if that has anything to do with the valves being adjusted like you're talking about but I've heard that you can adjust the air/fuel mixture with a screw on the carb. Is this true because it sounds like it might fix the problem?

Old 03-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Trailblazer
Default Honda Recon 250

hope you have fun on the recon they are a great all around machine except for the brakes if you run in alot of mud and water.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Range Rover
Default Honda Recon 250

I've adjusted the idle some and it has helped. I think once i adjust it a little more it will fix the prbolem but it's hard to get in that small space. As for the reverse, I can manually push the lever on the bottom of the transmission and shift the foot shifter and it goes in gear. Anyone got any suggestions as to how to adjust the cable itself? I think there's just too much slack in it and that's why it won't engage by using the brake/red button.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Range Rover
Default Honda Recon 250

Any ideas on how to adjust the reverse cable so it has more tension?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default Honda Recon 250

I have one of them and they are cold natured the reverse i don't know much about i haven't had any problems with mine but that idle and valves are what helped mine live.But if you clean the carb and change the oil and check the air filter when it runs right they are fun.

Trending Topics

Old 03-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default Honda Recon 250

From the looks it just needs to be cleaned up real well clean the carb nd adjust the valve it should help.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Range Rover
Default Honda Recon 250

Just thought some of you might like to know how i fixed the reverse (in case it happens to anyone else). There is something called a jam nut on the cable (mine had two, seen below). I loosened that nut, adjusted the cable setting so there would be more tension, and then tightened the oppostie nut down. Simple.

Name:  reversecable.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  42.0 KB

Old 04-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Trailblazer
Default Honda Recon 250

Thanks i will try and remember that i have one of those recons you get that one running yet.

Quick Reply: Honda Recon 250