Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

OK, I have a question now... Stabil

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, I have a question now... Stabil

whatever you did in the years previous, is likely to cause problems in the future, the crap they are selling for gasoline is about as unstable as a woman at menopause...i would strongly recommend that you drain all the gas like substance from your tank and run the engine till it quits before long term storage from here on out...

Old 04-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1988 GMC S1500 Jimmy 4x4 MPV that i bought from a used car dealer in 2006 , the car dealer told me the engine and drive train had been rebuilt and had 87,000 miles on the engine and drive train ; but the Jimmy had over 303,000 miles on it when i got it !

It started smoking after i drove it about 75 miles , and jumped time in my driveway less than a month after i bought it ; i had to wait untill i could save up the money for part's to repair it for over a year !

At the time the Jimmy had almost a full tank of gas at over $3.00 a gallon that i was afraid would go bad before i got it fixed , so i poured a full 16 oz. can of Sea Foam into the tank and got someone to shake the jimmy to help mix the fuel/Sea Foam good ; it was 1 and 1/2 year's before i saved up the money to have the jimmy repaired !

When i got it going again it started to smoke again after i had driven it 20 miles , i had my pickup truck in the shop having new seal's in the transmission ; so i had to drive the smoking jimmy untill i got the truck repaired and it smoked untill i had burned a half tank of fuel !

My truck was still in the shop when i went to a gas station and topped off the tank for hopefully the last time , then i planned to sell the jimmy for whatever my brother could get out of it ; halfway back to the house i had to stop for a traffic light and when it changed green to go i looked into the driverside mirrow to see the smoke cloud coming out of the exhaust !

But this time there was no smoke , none at all and it has been almost a year now and still not a puff has come out of the exhaust ; the Sea Foam had cleaned out the combustion chamber and freed up the ring's and cleaned the carbon from everything runs perfect now !

That's why i use the Sea Foam to treat my fuel for everything that burn's gas or Deisel fuel , i used stabil to treat fuel from one season to the next ; about 4 and 1/2 month's and the fuel would still burn as good as it did when i first bought it !

I still have a 1/4 of a case of stabil that i bought just before i closed my shop in late 1997 and i still use it because it still good , but just like fuel the stabil will go bad after it's opened the first time in the big can's it doesn't take long for it to go bad ; even the mixed fuel is suppose to be drained from the tank and carb before using it the following season !

Sea Foam is the only fuel additive i've ever used that would keep gas fresh over a year without it going bad , but even Sea Foam has a shelve life after it's opened ; that's why i use all that's in the can some in my jimmy , my 2006 AC 400 quad and my 87' Chevy S10 Tahoe pickup i just wish i had known about Sea Foam when i ran my shop !.......

Old 04-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Range Rover

After I saw all of these responses from you guys using Sea Foam I decided to do a little research and this stuff looks like it really works. I'm going to get some for my quad but where can you find it? Do the regular automotive/dealer stores sell it?

Old 04-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

Sea Foam will smoke like heck if you put too much in the fuel.

I did this to my son's TRX 90 that was running rough and I put a little too much in and it smoked like all get out. I drained that tank and put in fresh gasoline and all is well. I poured the removed fuel into my riding mower.

It pays to follow the instructions on the can.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Gimpster,

Are you sure Stabil was the only thing in the fuel? How long has the fuel been sitting?

If B-12 (good stuff) and Seafoam won't cut that stuff, I'd be pricing fuel tanks...

Old 04-19-2008, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

OK fellers I am back.

I bought a building and am opening a Powersport dealer so I have been extreemely busy !!

Here's the skinny... I have seen this before but not this bad.

The tanks are on Harley FLXBS (Lowrider) I found out that my customer had 1/4 tank of fuel in both sides. He added a bottle of Stabi to each side. the unit sat for 2 years this way. It had expanded to over half a tank in each side with the gummy beads. I fit 2 cans of Sea-Foam in each side and it has sat since I last posted.
I dumped the tanks ( not all of everything will come out upside down because of the fuel inlet insert) and flushed them with fresh fuel.
The tanks look like new inside !

SEA-FOAM ROCKS !!!! I have said it before, I will say it again.

The bike runs (I cleaned carb last monday) and I am riding it to the new shop in the morning

Thanks everyone.... That's why I help you, because you all help me back

I just overthought this situation at first, trying everything else

----- Gimpster -----

Old 04-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer

I have used stabil for years,,but this year in my bottle i noticed little pellets,,first time I have ever seen that. I used the stuff,I hope I didnt make a mistake,,I made sure none made it into the gas,,it is still in the bottle.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:01 AM
Pro Rider

We use Honda fuel stabilizer .. Some of our power products (generators , snow blowers , lawn mowers etc) sit well over a year we haven't had any problems ..

Old 04-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

Back when i used stabil i used the entire bottle or can once it's opened if it's not used within a certain time it will go bad itself , it all depend's on how long it was in the distributors warehouse ; and how long it has been on the shelve's of the retailers !

With Sea Foam it doesn't stay on the shelves long enough to go bad if it does go bad , and with the result's i've gotten and seen from other's use i don't believe it will go bad ; if it does it would take a long time to do so !

You know a product has to be good that has been on the market since 1942 , and still has a money back garrantty how many products does this today ?
I've seen products that started out with a money back garranttee , but it wasn't on the shelves long if it wasn't as good as their garranttee ; either that are they didn't keep the garranttee on it for over a year !

Gimpster you chose the right stuff when you used the Sea Foam and if you need it in spray form look for " Deep Creep " i saw my brother who bought a used Go Kart for his son that had sit up untill the fuel was dead in the fuel tank , and the carb was gunked up with dead fuel he wanted me to rebuild the carb and get it running for him ; i told him about the Sea Foam and Deep Creep and he desided to try it before he brought it to me !

He just followed the directions on the can and had the Go Kart running after letting the Deep Creep soak in the carb over night , the next morning he went out and primed the carb again with the Deep Creep and got it running on his own without removing the carb ; i lost $20.00 by telling him about the product thats what i would've charged him even if i got it going the same way he did using Deep Creep and Sea Foam !

And HondaMechanic Sea Foam is so much more that a fuel stabilizer it's more like a rebuild kit in a can , i can't give enough praise for this product ; after you've used it once on a gunked up carb without tearing it apart for cleaning and get it going you won't use anything else !

I had someone ask me how much stock i had in Sea Foam Sales Co. Inc , sadly i had to say 0 shares my only regret was not knowning about Sea Foam back in the late 50's and early 60's ; when i first started working on Lawn and Garden Equipment it would've been the most valuable tool in my box !

And ddrumman that's why there's directions for mixing ratio's on the can , when used in the engine oil it clean's from the inside out ; all the way up and into the combustion chamber it will knock out the sludge in the engine and clean the combustion chamber of carbon deposit's in the fuel tank it cleans the fuel system as well as the combustion chamber !.......