ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   420 IRS.. the hint we missed?? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/299296-420-irs-hint-we-missed.html)

KNOWSALOT 10-12-2008 01:59 PM

420 IRS.. the hint we missed??

It was not until this past week that I got to spend any seat time on the new 420 IRS auto. While checking out the rear suspension, I couldnt help but notice the entire rear subframe is removable from the main frame.
Closer inspection reveals the center shock mount from the straight axle models still in place as well.

I looked at a 2009 straight axle model, and right on the frame are two welded tabs,..for the IRS subframe to attach to. I also discovered that all 7 Rancher models, 2WD,4WD, S,ES, PS, etc... all share the same EXACT main frame.

What really shocked me was looking over a couple 2008 models still on the showroom. They also have the same frame setup,...along with the IRS subframe mounts. One unit had a very low serial number range as well, so it's a safe bet that all 2008s were equipped this way.
To be sure, I went to the area we keep customer's units for repairs to find a 2007 model to inspect them. I found 2. One of which was identical to the 2009 chassis,..and one that was not. The serial numbers varied greatly but both were FE models. So it appears that somewhere during the 2007 model run, Honda was already building these to accept the IRS subframe.

I had never noticed this before and I dont recall ever seeing a post about it on here either. If this is old news to you guys, I apologize for the repeat.

I just find it amazing that the quads that are so secret end up being leaked out beforehand,.... while things in plain view get totally overlooked.
One look under any 2008 model 420 and it's obvious those bare hanging tabs are to mount an IRS system similar to Yamaha's design on the 350/400/450 models.

TLC 10-12-2008 02:49 PM

Actually that sounds kinda cool. I f someone wanted to change from a IRS to a straight axle or visa versa you can do it.

Must be a production cost saving ,why redesign the whole ATV just to add a IRS rear suspension.

Tom of Barbaria 10-12-2008 04:31 PM

i think that is really cool how they did that but if all of the models have the tabs then why is honda only offering the irs on the auto, i may look into getting a irs subframe for my rancher now thanks for the tip

Red400EXRod 10-12-2008 04:39 PM

Makes me wonder if the 700XX has a single mounting point for a SRA shock tucked up there.

Tom of Barbaria 10-12-2008 04:41 PM

i really think that that would be worth a look

TLC 10-12-2008 04:50 PM

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Red400EXRod

Makes me wonder if the 700XX has a single mounting point for a SRA shock tucked up there.</end quote></div>

I would not think so, the 700 was desisigned from day one to be a IRS set up while the 420 was converted to IRS.

If you did change a regular 420 to a IRS you would get the additional benefit or better ground clearance and the removal of the "out in the open" drum brake housing vs a tucked "out of the way" inside the wheel well disk brake set up,let alone the smoother ride over rough stuff advantage.

reconranger 10-13-2008 10:16 AM

Knowsalot--What are your opinions on the new AT transmission????

KNOWSALOT 10-13-2008 04:06 PM

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

Knowsalot--What are your opinions on the new AT transmission????</end quote></div>

I spent a good deal of time on one last week learning this new method of shifting myself, so Im no expert at giving a review. But I cany say it is totally different than any other auto out there and actually requires a slightly different riding style than I am used to in order to get smooth shifts from it.
Starting from a dead stop,...if you gun it in the fully auto mode, it will literally snatch your arms off the handlebars when it shifts into 2nd. Not much better when it goes into 3rd either. I looked into seeing if it could be set to start off only in 2nd every time but I havent found a way to do in fully auto mode. But I will also say, that I have not read the oweners manual to verify it cannot be done.
The upper gears, even under full throttle shift fairly smooth and the downshifting was spot on as well. I didnt get to ride in any hilly terrain however, so I am not sure how much of this will affect downhill descents on loose or muddy terrain. Could be an issue, and maybe not.
Overall,.. the more I rode it, the more I liked the transmission. Under normal throttle (which this machine is intended ofcourse), the transmission worked great. It just takes a little getting used to. As I spent more time on it, I could get smoother shifts by modulating the throttle similar to the way you would with a convential 5 speed. It worked that much better.
I think if someone owned this machine, and spent several hours on it, they might could even use that method to get smoother shifts at greater throttle openings.

I liked it. And so long as they finally got the bugs worked out of the previous ESP quads from the last 10 years,..I think it's a great machine.

reconranger 10-13-2008 04:14 PM

Is 1st gear ultra low??? There was some whining going on because "on paper" the 1st grear gearing didn't look low enough....people were thinking Rincon here.

KNOWSALOT 10-15-2008 02:07 AM

RR,
I noticed the discusssion you guys were having last week on the gearing issue.

To me, I could tell the gearing in first was a bit higher speeded than the other 420 models. Not that it was night and day....Just that it was slightly noticable.

My guess is that it was designed that way to not have such an abrupt shift point when hitting 2nd. Because even with the taller gearing in first, it's still a fairly abrupt shift at anything past half throttle when it's in first.

This newest auto tranny has zero characteristics of a Hondamatic. Just imagine a 420ES that shifts each gear by itself. Only faster and without delay when you are on the gas hard.