Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda's NEW Polaris copy - hot news

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-1999, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve Small...
So you are saying that because I own a Polaris I can't shift???
Hmm, That means everytime I powershift my 5.0, everytime I throw the stick in my big 4x4 IH 4 speed, everytime I run up through 10 speeds in the grain truck & 13 in my friends Navister semi & 16+ speeds in my grandpas tractor I must have been dreaming it all... ???
Go ahead and knock on my fat overweight auto junk Scrambler 400 that, FYI will outrun your world conquering 400EX. But don't tell me I can't drive a manual tranny, If it's got wheels & a clutch I can probably drive it. You my friend with opinions like that are probably the one that drives like a little girl.
Honda makes good quads, unfortunatly I like to ride a quad a little larger than a power wheels toy.
ps> Andy B.>>> One reason Polaris owners stick up for their quad is the NEED to. Polaris has diffently made some junk. But to just come out & not only make quads but ones that were/ are entirely different involves taking risks. Sometimes it backfires, (ie lemons & bad opinions die hard) sometimes it works (sales are climbing). My point is the ideas Dirt Wheels etc. has put in everyones head that Polaris makes slow, junk quads. I suppose in '85 they did. They have a long way though. Kinda like the muscle cars. AMC was the outcast, Suddenly out came the Javaln & AMX and there were a lot of Camaro & Mustang owners driving home with a bad taste in their mouth. Getting beat by an AMC ??? Tough pill to sallow then, Admiting Polaris ain't all that bad??? Tough to admit now.
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 (New & improved with RCR kit and more raisins than ever) & '99 Trailblazer for Baby Butt Cheeks...

Old 08-18-1999, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

After mud riding with a few Polaris owners mostly 500cc quys, I can truely say that nothing goes trough the mud like a Polaris(as long as you keep the belt dry), bunchs of clearance,real four wheel drive and enough power to spin through the monster power robbing mud!!! I didn't buy one because of the quality control issues etc.

Old 08-18-1999, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Polaris rip-off?

Not putting too fine a point on this argument, didn't Honda market automatic ATV's some years ago? As in, Odysseys and such?

Nevertheless, assume for the sake of argument Honda intends "copying" Polaris, releasing an automatic-transmissioned quad.

Polaris owners should rejoice, not complain! Why?

1) "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." Polaris riders' choice of automatic transmissions would be validated; you were right!

2) This "close to home" competition, an automatic transmission from rival Honda, would challenge Polaris to advance even further in its design, materials, workmanship and quality control (if any room for improvement exists in these areas).

IF Honda unveils an automatic.

While I own a Honda, I do not begrudge Polaris its market share. Polaris makes quads with features customers want, whether these features are automatic transmissions for riders who don't know how or don't want to shift, high-stepping long-travel suspensions, lots of power, whatever. Additionally, I think Polaris must have an outstanding sales, marketing, and distribution network.

I'm thankful we have choices, unlike conditions in other lands under other economies (ever hear of a Ural quad?).

Tree Farmer

Old 08-18-1999, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

My Goodness Sandman you certainly turned over a whole bucketful of it that time. HaHa

------------------
Kevin Gowdy AKA-Kagey1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 08-18-1999, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I indeed opened up a Pandora's box with my little post. Gee, I wonder if anyone thought it was intended to do that? I am truly amazed at how fast the responses came in on this subject.

BTW - I made the rumor up. It is called "tongue-in-cheek" humor. But, no one got it. And so many people fell for it. hahahaha

This is great. I actually brought out what I thought I would. Polaris-o-philes defending their awesome machines, and rice quad owners saying... "yeah, right. Honda ain't that stupid".

More to come... :-)

Old 08-18-1999, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

True or False, if Honda was going to market a new quad, my point was that they should just bring back the 250R, and/or build upon the 400EX by adding 4X4 and reverse.

The Sport/Scramblers are comsuming a fare share in the market and some competition, wether it be Honda or not, is indeed welcomed. I truly believe that w/o any real competition Polaris will maintain the status quo with those machines.

Since when has the transmission of a vehicle been the deciding fatcor in its ability to "perform?" Is my '98 Mustang GT not a sports car because I have an auto in it? Is my '99 400L not a sport ATV simply beacuse it has an auto, although it will do nearly 80MPH?

And, no I'm not defending all Polaris', I'm defending mine. Did I just get lucky and get one of good ones, who knows.

------------------
Jerry Goodman '99 400L, '98 TBlazer

Old 08-18-1999, 05:58 PM
Trailblazer

Good Lord!!!!! Just what is the deal here anyway? What does it matter who manufactured the quad someone else rides? So it isn't the same one you own - BIG DEAL!

All manufacturers make good quads or they wouldn't still be in business. They all have lemons - human beings are making them and we are never going to be perfect. NO MANUFACTURER MAKES THE "BEST" QUAD!!!!!!! What's best for you and the way you ride and where you ride can be totally different than anyone else. Thus, that quad you are saying is the best thing that's been made since the shirt pocket might just be practically useless to another rider giving the circumstances and riding style.

I am not cutting down ANYONE'S quad here. I guess some of the threads here give another slant on that old saying - "It's not the quad but rather the rider that makes the difference". Seems like a person doesn't have to be riding to show their ignorance or lack of maturity!

If you actually own a quad of your very own and are not just riding Daddy's when he let's you what do you care what someone else thinks? Just be thankful we have the chance and places to ride and get out and ride!!!!!!!

Well, got that off my chest - so I guess I can expect to be on a few people's "Least Likely To Recieve A Christmas Card List" now!

Mark Vinson

Old 08-18-1999, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Get a life.

Old 08-18-1999, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

Really big bucket too.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy AKA-Kagey1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 08-19-1999, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

Polaris Scrambler and Sport. I don't get it. I don't consider any automatic, 4x4 with a single brake lever a sport machine. Plus at 550+ lbs, it's not exactly a light ride. They maybe fast in a strait line, but who rides in a strait, level surface the whole time? Not me. Let's see a wheelie!!!!

Chris "00" 300EX

Quick Reply: Honda's NEW Polaris copy - hot news