ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   Honda's NEW Polaris copy - hot news (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/300-hondas-new-polaris-copy-hot-news.html)

SandmanBlue 08-17-1999 08:39 PM

Newsflash - Honda to release new quad that seems to be quite a Polaris rip-off. It's based on a detuned and destroked CR500 motor. Displacement is said to be around 430cc's and its mated to an automatic tranny. Dry weight is said to be 480 lbs and the quad will be available in 2 x 4 and 4 x 4 models although the 4 x 4 adds another 80 lbs. It will be equipped with floorboards.

Could this be true? Could Polaris be influencing the big 4 in Japan to this extent? Any thoughts? What about you Polaris guys, can you believe that Honda is going to copy all of these features?

Personally, I think Honda would be foolish to make something like this.

Kevin 08-17-1999 09:13 PM

My God where will the copying end! Next I suppose Honda will put tires and handle bars on this machine! What would other atv manufacturers do if they did not have Polaris industries forging ahead into uncharted territory and inventing all these unique devices such as floor boards and centrifugal clutch type transmissions?!! And what would we forum readers do without those so narrow minded that they believe there is only one brand of TV?
Kevin Lucas

Hillside Hawk 08-17-1999 10:14 PM

Great reply. You stole the thunder from many. The SandMan must be sleep-typing and dreaming of some distant fantasy land where American ATV engineering and ingenuity are leading the way for the Far East to follow.

Hillside Hawk -- 1994 TRX300EX

EdSmith 08-17-1999 10:28 PM

Excuse me, where did you here this rumor??? Do you think I was born yesterday, I doubt Honda would ever build a quad like that. I'll belive it when I see it.

talon400 08-18-1999 12:06 AM

HONDA AND YAMAHA ONLY FOLLOW THE LEADER!

POLARIS IS THE ONLY REAL CHOICE IN ALL QUAD DECISIONS.
CHUCK

EXtreme 08-18-1999 12:54 AM

My signature says it all...
400ex= high flying adventure
polaris= for girls who can't shift

------------------
Steve Small, 00' 400ex, 00' 325 Trail Boss for the Mrs.

A400L 08-18-1999 01:09 AM

That problem no longer exists on '99 and newer models, due to a redesigned tranny box, and concentric drive :)

Honestly though, if Honda were to put out a "new" 2-Stroke, why would they copy the Polaris Sport/Scrambler?

Whats all hype about big bore motors anyway? The only reason Polaris makes a 400cc (actually a 378) is becasue their chassis' weigh so damn much. Trust me I own one. I've had to add quite a few ponies (I'm up to 65 to be exact :) )to be able to run with the big boys. You just cant do it on a 460lb quad with a meager 36HP.

If Honda wanted to increase sales, which if anything thats all this idea would be about, they need to look no further than their own archives, say about 10 years back. Anyone remember the 250R? If they want to introduce a sport 4X4, the foundation is already there, its called the 400EX.

"girls who dont know how to shift"? My automatic will be 4 lengths in front of you while you're still trying to find 2nd gear. And, by the time you did find it, I'll be in OD doing about 80 :) By the way, tell me if my brakelight is working. Save all that crap about being able to out MX me, I dont swing that way.

------------------
Jerry Goodman '99 400L, '98 TBlazer

[This message has been edited by A400L (edited 08-17-1999).]

mudmachine 08-18-1999 01:13 AM

EXTREME,
I bet you make your MRS. get off her Polaris and help turn yours around on a dead end trail.. DONT YA????

Andy Bassham 08-18-1999 04:36 AM

Oh my god! It looks like another case of Polaris owners against the world. This crap is just too much. Arguements spring up from nothing anymore. "Oh no, they're copying us again!" "Oh no!, I wonder who's making another automatic transmission!" Give it a damn rest! I'm beginning to think Polaris should have done the world a favor by not copying everyone else in late 1985 when they made their 250 trail boss. From your point of view, you could actually say that they along with everyone else copied Suzuki by making a Four Wheel All Terrain Vehicle! Namely, the 1983 Suzuki 125. A parting note, why is it that you always see Polaris being defended from everyone else? Its never Honda from everyone else or Kawasaki from the world, its always Polaris. Makes you wonder huh. My personal take, I love riding the Polaris's at the dealer. They are fast and ride smoother than anything. They turn a sharp turn and are light steering as well. The reason I don't own one? I think they are poorly built, rattletrap pieces of Dog Crap! They operate on the one of five clause. One of every five is probably a yeller old lemon! This is my bash post now, cause I'm getting stirred. I haven't bashed polaris good in a while either. Its rude to bash, but I have to release it. I think the main reason that I hate Polaris is because a good number(not all by any means) of the Polaris owners are so proud of their fast rickety repair shop specials, and they brag to no ends day in and day out. Where else do you see somebody say, "I think the Polaris thread has so many posts because the polaris owners are more aggressive riders, and are more interested in improving their bikes." Well, you could probably improve it by 20% by trading it for a rice quad! Its wierd, I love to ride them, yet I hate them. Always have, long before they ever led in sales or were even popular. When the least reliable manufacturer with the worst customer service is leading in sales, you know that you either have a misinformed public or some damn good advertising. I hope that none of the Polaris owners that I have talked with in the past are offended by this(I figure some are) cause it isn't directed at you. This one is for all the bragging, boasting, 3rd year owner jerks out there that whine about other people making automatic transmissions and call B.S. on other polaris owners when they post about a problem with their bike. All defending comebacks are welcome, but I assure you that none will be answered by me in this thread. The arguing crap gets old quick.

RoostKing 08-18-1999 07:18 AM

Plain and Simple. The Scrambler series of Polaris quads are in fact quite awesome in their own right. Honda would be making a smart move if they did make this quad.
Whats the saying: "copying is the sincerest form of flattery"!

RoostKing