Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Terracross vs. Bighorn

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terracross vs. Bighorn

Trying to decide on radials. 25" for a 420. Don't do much if any deep mud, mostly gravel, dirt and rocky terrain. Use it for trail riding, hunting and plowing snow.
Live in the rocky mountains. Looking for a long wearing, easy riding tire. Any opinons of either would be apprecitated. Thnaks

Old 11-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would bet you would be happy with both. One rider who had Terra Crosses said that they ride and handle great, but seemed to be wearing fast. Apparently they changed compounds to make the newer ones more durable.

Bighorns wear like iron, especially in rocks and gravel, and handle well. Probably not as good as the Terra Cross in sand or snow, but if you are going to be plowing I'd assume you would be running chains anyway.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Trailblazer

Going through the exact same process now as well. Can't decide as it seems to be a 50/50 thing depending on who replies.

I've heard from others on here that the Maxxis run a little bigger than normal on size and are somewhat heavy, but they wear very well.

Terra's have good traction, and wear well also (maybe not as well as BigHorns?)

hope to finalize my decision by the end of Thanksgiving weekend.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:37 AM
DCT
Banned

I've been doing a lot of research on tires for my new quad. I've heard the same thing about the TC's... they wear fast. The Bighorns seem to wear like iron. I'm actually leaning towards the Bighorn 2 radials. Lighter than the Bighorns.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

From what I've read, the bighorn 2's are lighter because they have shorter lugs?

Also, I think I saw a TC ad someplace where they said something to the effect of having a new rubber compound to increase tread life...

Old 11-25-2008, 07:54 AM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JeffinTD

From what I've read, the bighorn 2's are lighter because they have shorter lugs?

</end quote></div>

...and they are a little narrower

Old 11-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

A buddy brought over a set of Bighorns recently and I helped mount them (I have a bead breaker). They are definately heavier than the stock tire, and have a stiffer sidewall, but that might be part of why they are said to handle well.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

I was running the Terracrosses on our Rhino for 2 years. I decided to buy a different rim, it saved me money buying the package deal. So I got another set of TC. The ones that have been on there for 2 years have shown VERY little wear. So I now have the ones that are on the Rhino are about 4 months old and look brand new. The ones that are 2 years old are my spare tires and they look almost as good.

I'm in the Rockies too! where are you?

Old 11-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

Stoopidbot
I'm in Wyoming (NE) corner, Black Hills. but also do some riding in the Big Horns and alot of riding and snowmobiling in the Snowies where we own a cabin at 10,000 ft.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks everybody for the comments. Sure like the looks of the TC tires. Still undecided??????

Quick Reply: Terracross vs. Bighorn