Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher 420AT Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher 420AT Review

ReconRanger,

No, while I have ridden Honda street bikes and dirt bikes, my present ATV is a tall and sloppy 08 Grizzly 700 EPS and the one before that was a Polaris Sportsman 700. Like I said, I now have to have EPS and when I bought mine Honda did not offer one. I bought my bike knowing its strengths and weaknesses and will be the last to make any claims as to "stability". As an "aging baby boomer" I need something comfortable to ride with really high ground clearance. When I need stability and safety I get in/on my Rhino. My Grizzly and Rhino are admittedly a poor substitute for good legs and dirt bike. My choice and that of many others is to ride such a machine or sit around the house. I really wish I could ride something different. I must admit in all honesty that when I was young, I kind of looked down on ATV riders wondering why in the heck they "needed" anything with four wheels, but times change things. Always thought riding a sports quad was kind of silly wondering why anyone would prefer that to a good Honda CR, but we all like something different and there is nothing wrong with that. When people use to get involved in the "Hog"/"Rice Burner" debate, I always said it is not important what you ride, but that you ride. I guess the same thing can be said of ATV's, or at least for some of us.

06 Rhino
08 Grizzly 700 EPS
90 Kawasaki Mule
87 YFM 225
78 Suzuki
75 Ossa
89 Harley
Past bikes Hondas, Kawasakis, Triumphs, Bultaco ???

Old 12-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mistook EPS for Honda's ESP (electronic shift program). I don't think the Yamaha is such a big offender, but that Polaris 700 is absolutely another matter entirely. I guess things must be slow in the other forums, so you came over here to Honda looking for insight???

Old 12-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

The thing that has me interested in this bike is the tranny as I think there are alot of bikes that could bennifit from a dual clutch setup!</end quote></div>

One thing the review mentioned was that the transmission is on the heavy side.

To me, this tranny seem like it makes all other types of autos obsolete, and who knows maybe even foot shift manuals (????). They did also mention how it was thinner than a belt drive, so you don't end up with that ultra wide profile that messes up the ergonomics and makes you ride spread eagle. Also, no transfer case required, just a low first gear, although I got the impression they would prefer a lower first.</end quote></div>

I just love the fact that the shifts are seamless with a bunch of diff gear ratios!

Old 12-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, I hold no brand loyalty and like to keep up on all ATV developments. After reading your comments, I did some research and recommended someone look at it as a possible purchase.

Although I can afford to buy anything I want, I usually tend to keep vehicles for a LONG time, lot of us older guys are like that, but given the rate of improvements on ATV's, I may be open to buying another one in a few years and I will buy the one that best fits my needs no matter what the name is on the plate. Always anxious to learn new stuff and appreciate the information.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

stupid question, but do the 420's have an overhead cam set up? and 2 or 4 valves? i asked the question on another poast and never got an answer

Old 12-24-2008, 12:46 AM
Range Rover

cherokee99 you just asked the same question that i want to know, i know its not a over head cam i just want to know how many valves it has. I would love to have a Rancher that is old school foot shift with the new IRS

Old 12-24-2008, 01:11 AM
Red Rider

Two valves. I confirmed that from several sources.

Honda utilities typically have the cam off to the side, with little short stubby little pushrodsand overhead valves. I assumed that the 420 was the same way, but can't really see that (pushrods) from any of the cutaways.

The pushrod design favors a short engine height for a lower center of gravity, and it also favors low end power, which a utility needs more than top end.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

qouted by reconranger::Sounds like you have a Rincon (??). One point you missed, is that your Rincon is a Honda, and I stressed that Honda has a different philosophy on IRS suspension from the other manufacturers who seem to all like big tall sloppy machines. So, I was making a general observation, that doesn't include the Rincon (you should list your rides in your signature!).

In fact, the last Rincon review I read said it was the best suspended machine out there! If they would only give it engine braking........................................... .................................................. .....................uh are you serious? if does handle better when you put some real tires on it and do some tweaking to the suspension but in my opinion it is one on the mushiest rides i have ever rode in stock form

Old 12-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Red Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: colt2245p

qouted by reconranger::Sounds like you have a Rincon (??). One point you missed, is that your Rincon is a Honda, and I stressed that Honda has a different philosophy on IRS suspension from the other manufacturers who seem to all like big tall sloppy machines. So, I was making a general observation, that doesn't include the Rincon (you should list your rides in your signature!).

In fact, the last Rincon review I read said it was the best suspended machine out there! If they would only give it engine braking........................................... .................................................. .....................uh are you serious? if does handle better when you put some real tires on it and do some tweaking to the suspension but in my opinion it is one on the mushiest rides i have ever rode in stock form</end quote></div>

Hey, I regret that this discussion got sidetracked into a pissing contest on how other models IRS handles!!! Frankly, I would never own a Rincon, becasue of no engine braking and I don't like the automotive style transmission, no matter how good or bad its suspension is! And, I would never own any belt drive, because I don't like their transmissions either. If you happen to love those machines, then go ride the tires off them.....but I personally will never recommend them to anyone.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Red Rider

So, along comes the Rancher 420AT and it has IRS but it is tight, and it has an automatic transmisson that is neither belt drive nor an automotive type, and the AT looks like the answer to my prayers!!!

Looks like Honda may have found the best possible combination of features here! Not to big, not to small. Not a big bore, but not underpowered (my 420 rips!). Not a manual, but not really an automatic either. IRS, but not mushy, etc, etc. Only problem is that it is way to heavy and the price is steep.

Quick Reply: Rancher 420AT Review