Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher 420AT Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher 420AT Review

Dodge was looking at having a double clutch transmission built, but apparently the idea got nixed. I think they will indeed be the future (an automatic transmission without the MPG loss of the typical torque converter auto).

What is really amazing to me, anyway, is that Honda can build a quad with such an advanced transmission- and not have to price it at like two or three times what the CVT belt atv's cost...

Quote: In fact, the last Rincon review I read said it was the best suspended machine out there! If they would only give it engine braking....

Somehow it seems to me my Rincon provides a smoother ride on rough stuff at high speed than any other IRS I've tried, yet it also corners and sidehills very well. Honda seems to really know how to dial in spring rates and dampening to get the most benefit out of IRS while minimizing the drawbacks.

I'd like to ride an IRS 420, but I'd bet they put the same attention to getting the suspension setup right. I am a little concerned about the higher 1st gear, though...

Lastly, I don't see pushrods as a disadvantage in a utility quad. With valves that small and light, a pushrod design could probably spin 10,000 RPM and not float the valves. On a lot of overhead cam engines, the first thing to go, other than normal service, is the cam drive. Keeping the cam chain short, and the overall engine short are advantages, and there really aren't any negatives since utility ATV's are designed more for low end torque and for long term durability.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for answering my questions about the 420 engine! the cut aways of it where confusing (to me atleast). how can they have over head valves and put the valves at a V angle?(in respect to the cylinder) but my heart really goes out to OHV engines: easy to rebuild, less to mess with when you do rebuild them, and less to go bad.

i think the dual clutch system is really the next logical step for the auto's. i think the CVT mechines are at a disadvantage compared to strait gears, and with the twin clutch you are in 2gears at once! makeing for nice tight shifts and little power loss, i would assume???

i heard some convos between honde mechanics: they where saying the new auto system uses less power than a belt drive. any speculation on this? i know that belt drives suck a decent amount of power from mechines.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would assume the new auto would be as efficient as any other geared transmission...