Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2008 Rancher limited slip diff. ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Rancher limited slip diff. ?

I recently purchased a 2008 420 rancher manual shift 4x4. Other than moving it off my trailer and into my garage I have not driven it. I have occupied my time reading the manual, ordering snow plow equipment, and watching the snow fall. At this time it is unclear to me what type of front differential is incorporated on this machine. A 2008 buyers guide by All Terrain Vehicle magazine states that it has a limited slip front differential and the ATV Magazine buyers guide for the 2009 models calls the 2009 a torque sensing differential which is essentially the same thing. I am not concerned with the difference in semantics ; however, I am concerned that there is no mention in either the manufactures 2008 brochure or the owners manual of the Rancher having any kind of limited slip front end. The salesman said it did but he didn't seem to know much about what he was selling. A limited slip is fine for what I will be using it for but a totally open differential is certainly not what I thought I was buying. Do any of you know if there is any information available from the manufacture that would reference this or do you have first hand knowledge concerning the rancher front end?
Thank you.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It is indeed a limited slip/torque sensing dif, as Honda uses in it's 4x4 lineup.

They seem to work fairly well, but I have run into a rare situation where a locker might have helped. Trying to climb a steep and loose/loamy hill, for instance, I'd see 3 wheels spinning for a second, but if you keep on the throttle it will start spinning 4. In that second, though, the machine can start to dig in. Applying the front brake lightly will help it distribute power to both front wheels sooner.

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy the new Rancher. Let us know how it works with the plow.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

most people i have found dont know diddley-squat about the "limited slip" honda front diffs, not refering you StanD. but in general most people still think hondas have no front diffs. if you look at hondas websight they explain it.

as JeffinTD said it is a torque-sensative front locking diff (trax-lock). that it when it sences the front wheel slipping it engedges the diff lock. then when you are out of the tough spot, it disengedged the diff for easy steering! this i think is better for most people, otherwise your arms will get tired trying to fight a fully locked diff all the time.

agreed, it dose have a lag-time before the diff locks. but overall its a more advanced system than relying on a person to lock/unlock the diff. can-am uses a similar type on its avt's, called visco-lock.

for most people the limited slip front locker is the way to go, easy of use and freedom to steer! welcome to the forum!

Old 01-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I rode a can-am... I thought it was similar to the Honda system, but I thought it reacted more slowly... like you had to stay on the throttle with 3 wheels spinning and then it would suddenly engage the 4th wheel. If you were in mud or snow I thought it would be fine, but in big rocks it might be a little spooky.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you for the information. I find it rather surprising that it is not mentioned in either the owners manual or their sales brochure. It is a pretty good attribute, you would think they would want to advertise it. I'll let you know how the plow works. It'll be a while yet as I'm waiting for a winch and nothing moves much over the holidays. Small town and mail order.Thank you again.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Honda diff is excellent, and is the same mechanical torque sensing design found on the Land Rover. It sends 70% of the power to the wheel with traction, and 30% to the other wheel (to keep the other one moving so it will be moving when it does get some traction). It does take a moment to "reset" when the other wheel gets traction, but if you want to hurry the process up, a slight momentary tap on the front brake, will reset instantly.

Think about it....lockers send 50% to the wheel with traction and 50% to a wheel without....all the time. Doesn't it make more sense to send 70% to the wheel with traction????

Old 01-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

exelent input recon ranger! some yoyo on another poast keeps trying to tell me that hondas "dont have any kind of front diff lock". i takes just a few mins to do some homework before you start giveing false information.

i think its just makes more sence to have an automatic, torque sensative locker. less wear and less time fighting a locked diff

Old 01-02-2009, 05:26 PM
DCT
Banned

I guy that lives near me rides his Rancher through my property (with my permission of course LOL ) to get to his hunting spot. I've talked to him on a number of occasions, and watched him go through some rough stuff up a side hill with boulders, downed trees and other nasty stuff. That torque sensing front diff works just fine from what I've seen.

He said when you get the knack of that "brake tap" thingy, you can really go places with that front diff. Now, if they would only put a trani with some low end grunt in the Rincon... they would really have my attention. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I too like the Honda torque sensing front diff better than the Outty visco-lok. However, I'm not sure I like it more than my AWD. LOL

Old 01-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

Well, after searching through page after page of the Honda website I finally found some printed documentation. Honda states the following: Honda 4x4 ATVs use a clutchless front differential system that automatically sends power to whichever front wheel has the most grip. This system also allows both wheels to maintain essentially the same speed and drive regardless of traction conditions. It also virtually eliminates torque-steer and drastically reduces the effort necessary to initiate a turn, thus improving the turning radius and handling.
If I was selling Honda machines I would at least want that information in the brochures I handed out to my prospective buyers.
This was dated June 4, 2007. The information I received from all of you on this subject was much more informative and greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Stan

Old 01-03-2009, 03:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Very useful information, as I just bought an '08 of the same ATV. What about the rear diff. though? Is is also limited slip or is it posi-trac? Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: 2008 Rancher limited slip diff. ?