Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

TRX300 Carb

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX300 Carb

I have a 91 TRX300 that I need to replace the carb on. From what I can tell the 91-92 are the same and 93-95 are a diffrent type. My question is will the ones from the 93-95 work on my 91? From what I can find the cables ect are the same but not 100% sure.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:36 PM
The Facility

The difference between those carbs that you will run into if you plan to swap is the choke cable. The later ones use a different choke plunger (starter valve) than the older ones. To use the later model carb you will have to buy the later model choke plunger kit and choke cable,...about 60 bucks from a Honda dealer.
There are other differences internally but nothing that interferes with swapping the whole carburetor out.

A new carburetor is ridiculously expensive,..it's hard to find one from a Honda dealer under $350.
There is a guy on ebay however that sells them for $140 all day long. His user ID is wincycles. They are Chinese copies of the original and I've used a couple of them in the past with no problems at all. I cant remember which year model his 300 carbs fit but worst case scenario,..you will have to get the right choke valve and choke cable.
Good luck with your swap.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by KNOWSALOT
The difference between those carbs that you will run into if you plan to swap is the choke cable. The later ones use a different choke plunger (starter valve) than the older ones. To use the later model carb you will have to buy the later model choke plunger kit and choke cable,...about 60 bucks from a Honda dealer.
There are other differences internally but nothing that interferes with swapping the whole carburetor out.

A new carburetor is ridiculously expensive,..it's hard to find one from a Honda dealer under $350.
There is a guy on ebay however that sells them for $140 all day long. His user ID is wincycles. They are Chinese copies of the original and I've used a couple of them in the past with no problems at all. I cant remember which year model his 300 carbs fit but worst case scenario,..you will have to get the right choke valve and choke cable.
Good luck with your swap.
OK so the same cable is used on the 88 - 95 models so I should have no problem using a carb form those yrs right? Thanks for the info.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:42 PM
The Facility

Yes, you are correct. With a 91 model you would require no changes to anything if you are using an 88-95 carb. The cable and choke valve are the same.

It's on 96 and newer machines when they started changing cables and choke valves.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by KNOWSALOT
Yes, you are correct. With a 91 model you would require no changes to anything if you are using an 88-95 carb. The cable and choke valve are the same.

It's on 96 and newer machines when they started changing cables and choke valves.
Sounds good, one more thing I have found one from a 350 and it looks the same as mine. The guy said that the only difference is that there is a larger end on the choke cable then on the one for the 300. He also tells me that he can change the end on my cable and all will be good to go. Do you think that he can change the end?
Thanks

Old 02-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Trailblazer

So now I'm even more confused, the guy on e-bay says his fit 88-2000

Old 02-11-2010, 04:18 PM
The Facility

I just got on there to see what you are talking about and I notice that he is selling them WITH the choke plungers installed. This would make it a general replacement for all year models EXCEPT for the fact that you still might have a choke cable issue. What you need to do is write the guy and ask what year model plunger he is using with the carburetor or which cable it is that you need. And you never know,..he may be including two different plungers,..I dont know. But there is definitely one in the pics on the listing. Send him a message about it.