ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   Manual clutch honda rancher 420? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/317381-manual-clutch-honda-rancher-420-a.html)

mattrax500 08-26-2009 11:54 PM

Manual clutch honda rancher 420?

I was wondering if you could order a honda rancher 420 from the factory with a manual clutch instead of the automatic one. I was always more interested more in the manual clutch shifting and I never really liked shifting semi auto transmissions. it's just more fun manual :D

reconranger 08-27-2009 12:37 AM

There are a lot of posts from folks having problems with the ES system, so unless it is a must I say avoid it!

If your dealer doesn't have a manual in stock, they should be able to do a dealer trade or order one for you. Use to be that dealers could only order once or twice a year, but I think they can not order on a mounthly basis.

The 420 is a sweet little machine!

faruquehabib 08-27-2009 07:10 AM

i think he means a manual clutch like on a racing quad, not the auto clutch on the manual shifting rancher... i have not heard of this done, by the way.

reconranger 08-27-2009 08:48 AM

OK......I was in a big hurry and read the post to quickly!!!!

Mispelling.....but I think they can NOW order on a mounthly basis. (How come we can't edit anymore, once a post has been up for a few minutes?????)

The beauty of an autoclutch is when you are in technical terrain (what a utility is intended for!), you don't have to do any clutch slipping. It gets old real fast!!! In fact, there are a fair number of dirt bikers, particularly MXers who have converted to aftermarket autoclutch setups like Rekluse.

My guess would be that if you don't really NEED an autoclutch, then you probably don't really NEED a utility and might be better off on a sport quad????

zitaron 08-27-2009 07:53 PM

why would anyone want a manual clutch when the semi-auto clutch works so well? notice that hardly anyone complains about Honda clutches

TexasRoadlawyer 08-27-2009 11:49 PM

I would prefer to have a manual shift, manual clutch, 4x4 utility quad myself, but other than a rare home-built featured in an ATV magazine several years ago, I have never seen one.
I think it would be cool to be able to fan the clutch and get an easy powerslide going anytime you wanted it, and you could use the clutch to loft the front end up to go over obstacles

reconranger 08-28-2009 07:53 AM

It is quite possible to "fan" an autoclutch (if you don't have the dreaded ES system!). Just lift up or push down on the shift leaver lightly, enough to engage the clutch but not enough to change gears.......

TLC 08-28-2009 08:48 AM

think it would be cool to be able to fan the clutch and get an easy powerslide going anytime you wanted it
Just hitting the gas does that, I steer with the throttle all the time,and no 3 point turns just gas it and spin a 190 and let the rocks fly.

TexasRoadlawyer 08-29-2009 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by reconranger (Post 2837967)
It is quite possible to "fan" an autoclutch (if you don't have the dreaded ES system!). Just lift up or push down on the shift leaver lightly, enough to engage the clutch but not enough to change gears.......

Uh huh...and then wonder why there's a ton of metal shavings in the oil...and why it jumps out of gear...