Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Bad news for my 05 Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad news for my 05 Rubicon

I just got some bad news from our Honda dealer today. Our bike has been making a rattling noise ever since I adjusted the valves the last time. I thought maybe we didn't get them adjusted right so I tried again and the noise was still there. The noise kinda sounds like a loose exhaust guard. But there is nothing loose.

So we made an appointment with out Honda dealer to have it checked out. Just got it back today and he said it needs a new crankshaft, that is what the noise was, which worst case scenario could cost around $1000 to fix it. He said going through deep water could cause this, I guess cold water hitting the hot engine. I don't know if this is true or not.

Another thing that made me mad was that it cost $400 just to change the oil, adjust the valves, install a new air filter and replace a few sensors. Labor alone was $255 and they only had it for one full day

How big of a job is it to replace the crankshaft? Do you need all kinds of special tools? I wouldn't mind doing it myself to save money but I don't know if I am up to it.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

its a big job!

Old 08-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Range Rover

no offense, if u have to ask you dont wanna try it. im a full time diesel tech and if my cat needed a crank i would pay a pro to do it. that way u know what your getting.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:10 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

my friends 05' makes a rattle at 1/4 throttle, it to sounds like a wrist pin or main berring. we defently wont be tering it appart anytime soon and will keep our fingers crossed! My old 84' big red also makes this noise and im sure something on the big end is coming loose but it keeps running strong as the decades fly by!

Old 08-30-2009, 04:32 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get yourself a service manual, and see what will be involved! If you are not absolutely up to it, then have it done by a pro....

Old 08-30-2009, 05:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replacing the crank in a Rubicon is easier than replacing the crank in a Foreman , you will still need a few special tools ...

Old 08-30-2009, 02:55 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

im courious if its really the crank, these engines are strong- iv had mine at redline (60mph) for hours on end without any trouble

Trending Topics

Old 08-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

He said going through deep water could cause this, I guess cold water hitting the hot engine. I don't know if this is true or not.
im courious if its really the crank, these engines are strong- iv had mine at redline (60mph) for hours on end without any trouble
A little water, a little sand and mud, dirt and grit in the sump and your done; I don't care what kind of oil you run.
That is just one reason I don't recomend running a super oil like some do on this site.

If you have never done any major engine work in your life I don't recomend you try this.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

I am by no means a mechanic so I will probably take it somewhere to have it done right.

He didn't actually tear it down to confirm it was the crankshaft, he was just going by the way it sounded. To me it sounds like it is coming from right below the valves.

We asked the guy at the dealer that worked on it if he had any idea how long before it would need to be fixed and he didn't give a time frame. Any ideas on how long before it would need to be fixed? It has been doing this for about a month or two.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Trailblazer

The problem started after you adj. the valves.... If you did not adj. the valves right you could have bent a valve and there is your ticking knocking noise.

Quick Reply: Bad news for my 05 Rubicon