Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

FOOT BREAK STUCK

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:10 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOOT BREAK STUCK

whenever i push the foot break down and let go it would stay down and u have to pull it up by hand to get it back up any advice on how to get the foot break moveing

Old 01-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default FOOT BREAK STUCK

is the spring still on it

i just looked in my manual and i think you should take it apart and grease everything.

what happens when you uses the back brake from the handlebars.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default FOOT BREAK STUCK

that's correct. there is a spring on the rear of the foot brake that pulls it back up. It will probably be hard to see if it's still on without removing some of the plastic but you may be able to see. Like jrafter said, what happens with the lever control and is just the brake pedal sticking or the actual rear brakes?

Old 01-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default FOOT BREAK STUCK

theres a seal on the shaft and it might be dry.........i say lube the cable and pull the foot brake and just check everything.

also i hab a problem with my discs and it was the pins that hold the pads were dry and i lubed the pins and everythings good now.

do you have a drum on the rear?

Old 01-18-2008, 12:18 AM
Range Rover
Default FOOT BREAK STUCK

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jrafter

is the spring still on it

i just looked in my manual and i think you should take it apart and grease everything.

what happens when you uses the back brake from the handlebars.</end quote></div>

yes the spring is still on it
the only problem is the foot break
i think all that mud and water i be going through is makeing it stick

Old 01-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Range Rover
Default FOOT BREAK STUCK

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: silverado046.0

that's correct. there is a spring on the rear of the foot brake that pulls it back up. It will probably be hard to see if it's still on without removing some of the plastic but you may be able to see. Like jrafter said, what happens with the lever control and is just the brake pedal sticking or the actual rear brakes?</end quote></div>

its just the foot break, i think all that mud and water i go through is causeing it to stick

Old 01-18-2008, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FOOT BREAK STUCK

Remove the footewll, brake return spring (also brake spring if so equipted), swing arm cover, foot brake cable, rubber stopper, coter pin and washer. Heat the brake pedal all the way around with a torch until it is red hot (not just one spot, all the way around... inside and outside where the lever is welded to its back cylinder pivot) Take a pry bar and wedge it between the frame rail and brake lever near the pivot. pull on the pry bar as you work the brake pedal up and down to work it off. Discard the inner and outer seals once the brake lever has been removed from it's pivot. Let the lever cool. Clean the frame pivot with a wire brush then polish with emery cloth. Remove the rust in the center of the brake lever pivot. I use a small bead hone that I buy from Snap-On. Re install all parts without seals on the pedal pivot. I have had customers who want me to drill a hole in the lever pivot barrel and drive in a grease serk so they can keep it greased. The seals trap in moisture and promote rust. We have been leaving them off during reassembly so trapped moisture can escape instead of rust Around here, when used in cattle corals, cattle urine mixed in with the mud and hay, really promotes lever pivots to rust solid. I see this a lot

----- Gimpster -----

Old 01-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Range Rover
Default FOOT BREAK STUCK

Gimpster is right. That shaft hold moisture and rusts solid. Then you have to use lots of force to get it out. My wife's rancher did the same thing. First it would stick and you cound slide your foot under it and pull it up. Then you had to use your hand to pull it up. Then a pry bar. I should have taken it apart before it got so tight. I coated the shaft after I cleaned it up with a product called "never sieze" before reinstalling it.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:57 AM
Range Rover

i know this is old but just wanted to give a big thank you to anyone from this thread that's still around. been trying to figure out for the last year why my rear brake was sticking and this was exactly it. also holy hell was that pedal hard to get off, after 4 hours working on that damn thing it's not going back on without a grease fitting

Old 12-29-2015, 03:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

If both the left hand brake and footbrake is sticking, it is usually the shoe pivot for the rear shoes. If just the footbrake is sticking it is the pedal pivot. We find it is those who don't use the footbrake much who get this problem. I think riders who have had a motorcycle will use the footbrake, but those who have only had a bicycle will tend to stick to braking with the hand brakes. I did have a motorcycle, but a British one, with the left foot brake, so find that I have reverted to only using the hand brakes on Quads.

Quick Reply: FOOT BREAK STUCK