Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

No More RUBICON Ofr 2010

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:06 PM
JRM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope your right knowsalot, back in 1989 I owned a TRX200SX and it was fun, in the 1990's honda came out with the 400EX and rocked the ATV market. fingers crossed for a repete as for OHC honda pionered it in the late 1950's and just recently went to ohv to lower the height of the engine- and i agree knowsalot, honda is probley thinking performance once again and will build something awesome
My bet is that honda is coming out with a Rubicon II 550 very soon as well as a new dual sport CRF450X

Old 02-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I told EVERYBODY in these forums WAY back in 2005, how far Honda was going to fall behind the other guys, by not offering certain features on their 4x4 models, like,

*EFI
*Diff lock
*Adjustable Suspension
*Ground clearance
*Adjustable shocks
*Disk brakes all the way around

I bought Honda's new 2003 Rincon, and kept/drove it for 2 years. Sold it and bought a new 2005 700cc King Quad with every feature I have mentioned above. I did'nt miss my Rincon for a second.

I hate to tell a ''few'' of you guys-----but-------- I told you so!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:25 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My bet is that honda is coming out with a Rubicon II 550 very soon
A Rubicon 550 will not help performance much unless they get rid of those dull OHV motors in there Utility ATVs look at the 680 ,39hp my god 550s make that now. Sure the OHV motors make great low end torque,but since most ATVs have a low range anyways,the higher reeving OHC have all the torque they need for work also,but once in High range they are a blast to ride,unlike the low reving OHV. Let the tranny make the torque not the motor.

Honda has a great XR 650 OHC dirt bike motor already they just need to put it in a Utility ATV.

I would of kept my 450 Foreman if it had a EX400 OHC motor in it for faster fun riding and a low range sub tranny,not just a super low 1st gear, to make up for its loss of torgue if I had to work it.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of utility quads here, not necessarily sport quads.....

I know some of you lament the fact that Honda isn't cranking out the same "feature laden, cookie cutter" belt drive models that everybody else and his dog is cranks out. So....why stay here and bitch about Honda's lack of the features and sloppy unstable long travel suspension that you crave....when you can just buy something else and go away happy??? TLC left Honda, but sadly didn't go away....

I for one...am glad there is some variety in the market to choose from, and frankly Honda is the only one offereing us any variety at all! No doubt Honda needs to update their lineup, but if it means becoming "Polaris" in the process as many of you seem to desire, well then I will just give up the utility thing completely (in 25 years when my Ranchers finally wear out!), and happily just ride dirt bikes and sport quads.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:11 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I.m might come back to Honda ,I ride my friends new 420ES Rancher and love the mid size chassis, quick steering and over all feel of it. I would just like it to be a little more wheel spinning when the gas is hit, if the 420 even had the old Honda XL / XR 500 motor and from yesteryear in it I would love it even more.

And whats the hold up to have true awd diff lock like almost every other ATV made now has.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So then where does the future of Honda unility design needs to go? I see "hybrid" machines (Wolverine concept) having the widest application for most riders in the USA! Most folks are just trail riders...who don't need a monster mud bogger or even a pure work quad, yet might appreciate having 4wd available just in case they get into trouble out on the trail!

So....a "hybrid" based off the IRS Rancher. A 2wd version, light and stripped of all useless weight, and with a half rack in back (kind of a smaller, lighter, truely sensable version of that 700XX turkey!). Also 4wd , but it would absolutely have to be kept as ultralight as possible or it would have little advantage over an existing Rancher (which is now to heavy for a medium size machine). Maybe a less expensive SRA versions as well?

On the pure utility side....I can see the needlessly complex Rubicon and underpowered Rincon transmissions getting ditched for the dual-clutch trans. You wouldn't even need two basic models, just one frame and body style with the option of an SRA and IRS versions, ala the Rancher.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll go back to Honda as soon as they build a ATV that fits MY desires/needs.

As is evident by the various amount a differant brand 3-4 wheelers I've owned in the past 27yrs, I dont care who the manufacturer is, as long as they have the features I desire in an ATV.

And so far, Honda is WAY behind on my list. As far as coming into the Honda Forum? I visit and chim-in to alot of differant forums, makes for good conversations most of the time.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reconranger
TLC left Honda, but sadly didn't go away....
And I'm glad he didn't.

I am a HUGE Honda fan and find it sad that if I was to buy a new ATV today there's not a Honda that even interests me.

Honda ATV sales are down almost 50% and I think the wants and needs of the majority are falling on deaf ears.

I love my Honda that has the ultimate ATV transmission and sad to say is becoming obsolete due to it's lack of power and a front locking diff. Honda needs to find a cure for their old outdated 3-wd, I know that I'm tired of it.

My choice for an ATV would be a Honda 850cc V-Twin with about 80 hp mated to a Rubicon Hondamatic trans, SRA, lockable front diff and a 8-10 gallon gas tank.

Honda if falling behind period and I don't like it but it's their choice.

3-wd is dead.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the last few months I'v had the oprtunity to ride an 09 Outlander Max 800 and I was very impressed with it's power.

I have also spent some seat time on a 2010 Suzuki 750 KQ which today would be my first choice if I was to buy a new ATV.

I have also spent some time on a 2010 Polaris 550 XP Touring and all it did was reasure me of all the reasons of why I will never buy a Polaris.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Specta
My choice for an ATV would be a Honda 850cc V-Twin with about 80 hp mated to a Rubicon Hondamatic trans, SRA, lockable front diff and a 8-10 gallon gas tank.
If that dream machine becomes reality I'll eat my hat. And yours.

Three weeks ago, we pulled the Rubicon out of the mudhole, with three of it's four wheels spinning away, and all it did was reassure me why I'll never buy a Honda.

Quick Reply: No More RUBICON Ofr 2010