ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   New Honda or Yamaha? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/325591-new-honda-yamaha.html)

Policy Peddler 04-02-2010 09:36 AM

New Honda or Yamaha?

I am going to purchase an ATV, it will be for fun riding with my 9 yr old with him on his raptor, also for some hunting. There will be some woods riding.
I have looked at the honda 500 eps & the yamaha grizzly 550 & 700 eps. I can purchase the Grizzly new 2009 550 for $6700, the 2009 700 for $7700 or the 2010 Honda with the electric automatic shift for $8200.
I am looking for any recommendations or thoughts?
I guess one of my questions is why did you purchase the honda over a Yamaha?

faruquehabib 04-02-2010 10:24 AM

when you say honda 500 eps, do you mean the foreman or foreman rubicon? the foreman is manual shoft or electric shift, and the rubicon is a hydrostatic automatic with the option of electric shift in the form of preset ratios that act as gears. both the foreman and rubicon are offered with power steering. all 3 of those machines are going to be awesome, so i would test drive them and go with what feels the best. the grizzly's have independent rear suspension, whereas the foreman and rubicon have a straight axle, so the grizzly's will most likely have a more comfortable ride at higher speeds, so if you are doing trail riding, maybe the 550 griz is the best, both for you and your pocket book. i do love my rubicon, but it is my cadillac workhorse. my rancher is my trail machine.

zitaron 04-02-2010 10:43 AM

If they are your pick list - then the 550 at that price wins hands down

grantrincon 04-03-2010 06:55 PM

I personaly would go for one of the Hondas (although my garage is full of Hondas!). I personaly dont care for belt drive machines. I have 2 05 Rincons that have never let me down.

TexasRoadlawyer 04-04-2010 12:08 AM

The 700 Grizz wins shootout after shootout...excellent power and ergonomics, a fairly bulletproof drivetrain, fuel injection, and POWER STEERING that is second to none. You will not be underpowered with the 700, although you might with the 500.

grantrincon 04-04-2010 07:28 AM

This is true, the Grizz wins lots of shootouts. I've never ridden a machine with PS, dont think it would last too long in all the water on the trails here in FL. In todays market you really cant go wrong

readymixer169 04-04-2010 09:05 AM

I'd go with the yamaha as well, Honda makes a great machine and 10 years ago IMO. were the best on the market but now-a -days all the manufacturers are really up to par on there machines. Not trying to brand bash here but I think the hondas today are overpriced and overhyped for what you get. The other major brands are offering the same or better quality and performance for the same or even less $$$$ (Just my 2 cents)

bent1 04-04-2010 10:24 AM

You really can't lose with either machine. Both are great quads, [ Rubicon / Grizzly ] Really depends on how long you plan to keep it. Hondas last forever and have great resale if you take care of it. Grizzly will get you there sooner [ unless you do get water on the belt ]

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot 08-18-2010 06:11 AM

All good machines, but as someone who owns both brands i can tell you that the Yamaha seems to provide more bang and features for the buck. I too was leery of belt drive and electric power steering but after research, determined that of all the belt drives (there's toms of 'em out there) the yamaha system seems to be the best IMO. As for electric power steering, not really needed UNTIL you spend and lond day on the trail with an EPS machaine and a non EPS machine - NO COMPARISON, your arms do not get the jars and jolts of the trail transmitted through the steering witht he EPS bikes.

Even though i own a 700 Grizzly, I have to tell you, the 550 would not leave you wanting or lacking. I weigh 215 in my birthday suit and carry lots of stuff and I rarely if ever need full power and, in fact, rarely use 78% power (550/700).

BTW, I just spent a weekend trail riding with a gang who just about all had 800 Polaris machines. The pace was spirited but not crazy. My 700 Grizzly not only kept up - but excelled. My son, on his 250 Recon also kept up just fine.

Unless you need the absolute max in power (few do) I owuld get the Grizzly 550 and a thousand dollars worth of accessories and riding gear. Or, the Grizzly 550, $800 worth of accessories and riding gear - leaving a couple hundred for gas and beer. ;)

TLC 08-18-2010 11:32 AM

The Honda with less power , rougher ride (SRA),less ground clearance (SRA) ,rear drum Brakes,and no AWD diff lock opption,costs more than the two Yamahas ? I fail to see why there is a decesion to be made here.