Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

trx250x hard to kickstart

Old 04-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trx250x hard to kickstart

hey guys i just picked up a 87 trx250x, and i had it running the first night after kicking for a while. theres a couple problems the main on is the kick is really hard to kick, i can put my whole weight on it and it won't move, ever once in a while i will get a kick that almost starts but now its seems there mostly just hard to kick.
i know about the decompression valave, what way do you adjust it?
i herd someone just took theres off?
one more stupid question
on the gas petcock where is on, off, reserve? im guessing there was a sticker on the plastics but they where painted over. thanks guys

Old 04-11-2010, 07:57 PM
no1
Trailblazer

If you pull the fuel line between the petcock and the carb so the fuel will drain out of the tank. Just turn the petcock until the fuel stops and that is off. Turn it again until the fuel is draining from the tank and let it all run out. If the tank is dry its on reserve, if there is some left in the tank the valve was in the on position.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well on my 86 honda trx250 It is probably very similar on the petcock Up is On across is off and down is off

Old 04-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by JohnC8799
Well on my 86 honda trx250 It is probably very similar on the petcock Up is On across is off and down is off
um so do you not have a reserve tank? i thought they did have one?

Old 04-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oops sorry my fault down is reserve its my fault you are right they do have a reserve

Old 04-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

haha ok thanks thats what i thought. anybody have any idea on the starting problem?

Old 04-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Trailblazer

My 250x takes quite a bit of effort to kick, but I'm not a big guy. (5'8" 160lb)

You can check the compression release by watching it while a friend gives it a kick. If you don't have any friends, remove the spark plug and crank the kickstarter by hand. You should see the lever on the compression release move about 1/2" or so. If it's not, there's a couple of locknuts and a threaded rod cable adjuster on the kickstarter end of that cable. I adjust mine so there's just a tiny bit of slack. Too loose and you won't get any release, too tight and you might leak compression.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

yea me and my bro where messing with it never really seemed to change much. how is the valve held in? cuase you can kinda pull it out, and it seemed i could push it in and it would work a little better.
i shouldn't have a problem kicking it im a 5'8 190

Old 04-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

Adjust the cable on the decompressor so there's 1/32" of slack.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:40 AM
Trailblazer
Default on could be off

Originally Posted by teggy6
hey guys i just picked up a 87 trx250x, and i had it running the first night after kicking for a while. theres a couple problems the main on is the kick is really hard to kick, i can put my whole weight on it and it won't move, ever once in a while i will get a kick that almost starts but now its seems there mostly just hard to kick.
i know about the decompression valave, what way do you adjust it?
i herd someone just took theres off?
one more stupid question
on the gas petcock where is on, off, reserve? im guessing there was a sticker on the plastics but they where painted over. thanks guys
I have about 20 hondas and sometimes on is not on. on might be beTWEEN on and off. easiest is a clean piece of fuel line to the petvalve and blow into it. you may find that on is not on but just off a little you'll get flow. Same for the fuel tank vent. on and sitting in the sun I turned mine and it finally hissed just off of the ON position. Drove me nutts for weeks . hard kick? I've almost broken bones if the timing isn't just right, man that thing can come back at you like a suckerpunch in a barfight. does it try to kick back?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trx250x hard to kickstart