ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   1983 honda 70 3 wheeler (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/330612-1983-honda-70-3-wheeler.html)

papa hogg scoot 09-06-2010 03:32 PM

I think an 1983 model has points and condenser....They are under the flywheel.... you could adjust points thru the opening in flywheel first on .016 and check to see if points have oil or dirt them also inspect thru flywheel hole... remove recoil assy. But IMO the points and condenser needs replacing if the pionts are worn or pitted...Good Luck

THORNTON2010 09-06-2010 05:50 PM

1983 honda 70 trike

My trike runs perfect for about 5 minutes or so and then shuts off . After it dies i try to start nothing doing and no spark. I let it sit for 10-20 minutes After sitting for hours then it runs for 5 minutes or so then dies again. It has points condensor and stator. I don't know how one or the other would be causing this problem. My question which one or all needs replaced. I have changed coil and plug no change exact same problem over and over. Thanks for all your free knowledge "trikers"

papa hogg scoot 09-06-2010 07:54 PM

Condenser gets old or hot it can start breaking down.... an condenser is surpose to hold the engery thats being produced by the magneto inside the flywheel. and when the condenser goes bad its start releasing the engery and not holding it.. then this causes the engine to start running bad, no power,misfire, quit, hard to crank cause fire is weak and you cant pull the rope fast or quick enuff to keep ignition going..and this is only my opinion...Good Luck...

THORNTON2010 09-06-2010 09:37 PM

1983 honda 70 trike

So your saying my condensor holds a charge that keeps the spark hot and when the condensor starts going bad it starts failing after it is on for a few minutes and then stops producing enough power to spark plug.

drjoe171 09-07-2010 06:27 AM

if it is, in fact, heat related, let it cool and give yourself 4 minutes of diagnosis time. get a hair dryer and heat up stuff one at a time, like the coil, points/condenser etc etc and maybe you can pinpoint the temp related failure. similarly, get a gel icepack or spray cold stuff and go backwards. cool the coil after it croaks out and see if it restarts. icepack the head to see if it helps?

papa hogg scoot 09-07-2010 05:49 PM

Bad condensor IMO.But i would change points also.... Points don,t heat up[to cause misfire] But could be pitted and change ignition timing...You don't have to have honda condensor But if you want to put back in the same mount you will....You can use an kohler or auto condensor[with an wire made into it] and mount any where to get air to keep cool.. But points IMO has to be honda type thou..Also this is the cheapest part of the ignition to replace..Good Luck.