Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Please help Honda rubicon trx500fga won't move

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks papa I will check the oil filter and shift linkage right know.

Thank you for your help

Old 12-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

The Rubicon is a reliable ATV provided it's not abused. Honda did not intend for it to be "swamped" twice in one day. Their owner's manual states water no deeper than the foot-pegs.
Now this is NOT to say it can't be submerged! If you prepare one properly, you can as there are many Rubicons that are driven under water a lot.

From my service manual: No Oil Pressure
-Oil level too low
-Oil pressure relief valve stuck open
-Broken oil pump drive chain
-Broken oil pump drive or driven sprocket
-Damaged oil pump
-Internal oil leak

Check the pressure check valve in the front cover. Remove the oil gallery sealing bolt on the right side of the front crankcase cover.
Remove the valve spring and check valve.
Check it for wear, sticking or other damage.
Check the spring for fatigue or damage.
Install with new sealing washer......provided the valve is okay.

If that's not it, you will have to tear into it.
Good luck and keep us posted.

To access the oil pump and drive chain, you must split the cases.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's very helpful advice Ddrumman thank you. I'm going to check the valve and spring in the morning. Can I access the oil pump chain by drain the oil and removing the front engine cover???

Last edited by Marine tech; 12-14-2010 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Spellcheck
Old 12-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

According to the photos in my Honda Service manual, the oil pump is in the front crankcase half. I really don't know if you can access without removing the engine and then tearing it down and splitting the case.

If the oil has any trace....any trace of water in it, it's best to split the case and do a thorough cleaning. Minute traces of grit could have possibly entered the crankcase.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I can't be any happier tonight. My problem was the oil pump chain had come off the sprocket 20.00 fix. The best is I was able to do the work myself and it gave some understanding of the atv seeing it with the skins removed. I bought this quad for a few hundred bucks and it only needed a 20.00 fix. Thank you to all the guys that reply. Christmas came early for me and now I can do some upgrades and still be ahead.

The radiator was packed solid with mud on both side you couldn't even see any fins. What's the easiest way to clean.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad you got atv going!!! ruby is an tuff machine, will that alot of abuses...Yes sounds like santa was good to you....Have a merry christmas and a great and happy new year.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

In my opinion, the best way to clean a radiator is with a garden hose and a lot of patience. I do not like using a power washer for fear it will blow the fins closed. It will take a while with a garden hose, but you don't have to worry about doing damage to the radiator. I would say spray the radiator off and let the water soak for a few minutes and loosen up the mud. Spray both the front and back of the radiator. Then come back and continue spraying until the water is going straight through the entire radiator. When I owned my Kodiak 400 I would spend at least 15 minutes cleaning just the radiator to get it completely clean and that was when the mud was fresh. Like I said, you will have to be patient to get it completely clean.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm late to the party, but I was going to say I bet it threw the oil pump drive chain.

Yes, you can access it from the front of the engine. I'm not sure about the Rubicon, but on some machines you have to remove the head to change the oil pump drive chain (cam chain is in the way) but in any event it shouldn't be that big of a deal- considering what you paid for the machine.