Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Please help Honda rubicon trx500fga won't move

Old 12-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Pleas help 2004 honda rubicon trx500fga wont move

Please I need help asap. I just bought a 2004 Honda foreman rubicon Trx500fga from a guy. He was the original owner. He said he swamped it a couple of weeks ago twice in the same day. Once free he went home and shut the machine off and had lunch. He cleaned off the bike and let it dry. He then started it and it went into gear but wouldn't move. It moves free but not in gear. I checked the oil and it was low (down 2qts) I added the oil praying it would fix but no luck. It starts fine ( no rapping, smoke or anything). I pulled that plug where the pressure gauges goes and started it no oil came out. I know it should have 60lbs at idle and 150 lbs at 5000rpms. It has no pressure. I decided no more starting it. I can't afford to bring it to a dealer and everyone I called talked in the thousands but it was running fine and after being shut off this happens I'm baffled and scared. I need a service manual asap and no one has one here in mass. Please respond back asap with yours thoughts.

Hi I'm marine tech and new to the sight. Glad to be part of the crew. Honestly this is my first fourwheeler (my son has a 2004 Polaris trail boss 330)any I'm lost. If it was a mercury then we would be all set and a rebuild would be a breeze. This Honda scares me with all the options.

Last edited by Marine tech; 12-11-2010 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Spell corrections
Old 12-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Question help a Newbee out

someone must of fixed this problem before. i have read many post with this issue. Just none with how they fixed.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:07 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine tech
I just bought a 2004 Honda foreman rubicon Trx500fga from a guy. He was the original owner. He said he swamped it a couple of weeks ago twice in the same day.

I think the first question everyone is thinking right off the top is-

"why the hell would anyone buy an atv off someone who admits that it has been swamped TWICE- IN ONE DAY- and not expect there to be major issues with it!!!" Especially if your budget is so tight as to not allow for any repairs!

What did he do after the first time it sunk- keep riding it until the 2nd time he sunk it?

and define "swamped" - was it totally submerged?

You bought yourself a 4 wheeled problem- yep.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for your reply (beer gut). I paid 250.00 for the machine. It was owned by a 58yr old farmer (one owner). He had the paperwork and service reports from day one. It looks awesome and starts right up. It has a gun and bow holder with a backseat with storage all around the seat. I could part it out and more than double my money back. I would rather fix and keep for my self. I'm new to the four wheeler forum but I'm very capable of doing some repairs. I'm a mercury certified tech for over 20 hrs but lost in the four wheeler world. I was hoping to get advice from the forum on some repair and where to look. Unfortunately it's been a dead end so far.

Anyone know how to get into the check the oil pressure chain

Old 12-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

You need to get yourself a manual for that bike.. If your a CERT in marine engines you shouldnt have any problem blasting that engine open. they really arent all that more complicated than any other engine really..

Old 12-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

At that price, you can't really go wrong. Like you said, parting it out would get your money back.

You didn't mention if any of the fluids were changed or not. That would be the first thing to do, making sure you didn't have any water in them, and if you do, check to see where it's coming from. From the sounds of it, the motor appears to be ok, it's the driveline that has the problem. You may want to check the microfiche diagrams at places like Ronnies and see if you notice anything may be missing. I know it's hard to tell by the parts breakdown, but does give you an idea of where stuff should be.

Have you put all four wheels in the air to see if they turn or not?

Old 12-13-2010, 02:08 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

I paid 250.00 for the machine.
I guess you can't complain about a $250 atv

Do what scootergptx said to do- jack it up and see if the tires move at all...

don't be so impatient! we all have day jobs (i think) so sometimes it takes a few days to get responses

Old 12-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I downloaded the manual but it doesn't cover how to locate and work on the oil pump. I know we all work it's just pissing me off. My inner voice is just saying to start tearing it apart. I brought it to the dealer to analyze and pinpoint the problem. I paid 100.00 bucks and all they did was start it and back off the screw and said no oil is coming out so you have zero pressure. They said we should change the oil pump 1100.00 and maybe a tranny 2000.00.

Is this a nice reliable machine??????

Old 12-13-2010, 04:59 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

They said we should change the oil pump 1100.00 and maybe a tranny 2000.00.

Is this a nice reliable machine??????

it's not worth a $3100 repair- hell- you can find a used motor for probably four or five hundred bucks!

Old 12-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes i would check out oil filter and changed it and make sure it has the spring and flat metal washer then oil filter in that order, spring and washer helps make oil pressure, you ask oil pump i think in front of engine behind front engine cover. but like said parts break down would give you an ideal where the parts are located at.. Also you want to check to see if shifter [T-handle lever] is moving linkage an hasn,t came loose...Iknow this dumb BUT just giving you ideals....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please help Honda rubicon trx500fga won't move