Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

That durned flashing gear selection on '01 Honda Foreman..

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That durned flashing gear selection on '01 Honda Foreman..

Maybe this has been asked and answered and I just haven't located the thread. Have found many similar Q &As, but not this yet:

This is an '01 Honda 4x4 Rubicon Foreman, owned since two(?) years old, 400hours, 1400 miles. I'm getting the flashing, continual, not 1, 2 , 3 or 12, but continual. I have located a thread that gave very detailed, complex directions on resetting, etc. Will have to print out those and try, but I'm likely wasted my time as I fear my problem is.....those dastardly mice and pack rats have gotten into my battery compartment. and while they haven't chewed clear through anything yet, they have exposed the stranded wires near the fuse box. After finding a single strand from one touching exposed strands of another and separating them, I did the -- Push the up and down and turn on thekey thing. This cured the problem for an afternoon, but now the problem has reoccurred.

The symptoms: The gear selection flashes D1D2ESP, continually. It bucks in reverse and acts underpower in forward. Re-examine the bare wires, nothing touching. The UpDown, key on thing isn't restoring the 'N' to the display now. It was due an oil change so I did go ahead with Honda dealer obtained filter and Honda oil, 5 quarts, on the off chance it may had been low. BTW, I drained exactly 5 quarts, so that wasn't it.

I read where overfilling is an eventual problem, just where on the unmarked dipstick is the oil to come up to? The flat part down low or where? I have yet to get a good cold read on my dipstick since changing the oil.

Upon picking the brain of the dealers Honda expert, Iwas told that they'd charge $86 for a diagnosis, that the mice likely did some damage, well DUH.My fear is this dealer (after reading some posters experiences) will be out to make a four figure repair out of a couple of wiring issues. I do have a lead on a rural repair guy that is (probably) less likely to be out to gouge me or coerce a trade (which I cannot afford).

I had discovered the mice problem a month ago when I had a starting issue. Being the original battery and that I could pull start it, I put in a new battery from BatteryPlus. The terminals had to be bent slightly to fit this aftermarket battery, but got good contact. Next, my solenoid went out, so the dealer sold me an aftermarket one that had me splicing the leads instead of just plugging into the harness. Everything worked fine until the aforementioned symptoms occurred with the gear selection display.

Am going to print off those diagnosis directions and give that a go before I haul it into somebody.

I am not a greatly skilled mechanic and my big hands just cant get into the wiring as is. I could get some more room by removing the battery, but wanting to avoid unneeded aggravation.

PS: Have since the battery problem, been keeping Bars Bait in the air filter compartment and the battery area.

Guess my real question is, should I jack with this any longer, or just bend over and take it into my rural guy or dealer?

Any input? Much thanks in advance!

Last edited by Carpenter1966; 05-01-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-03-2011, 06:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

I still can't get a code out of the display. No suggestions?

Old 05-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Range Rover

Its almost certain a wiring/electrical issue. Your local small machine guy WON'T fix a rubi unless he's lucky (like in finds a chewed wire or corrosion).
A service manual, multimeter and take off the bodywork is the way to go -- then follow the flowcharts.
You could try pulling all the connectors apart - with the ignition switched OFF - re-connect and pray. Sometimes works.
But the mices seems where it started - so wiring. Go back with a torch and re-check.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

in your next post, could you include the hyperlink to the post that gave you the instructions? i'm interested.
as far as hauling in to your shadetree rural mech, at least do what you can to eliminate issues or he'll have redundant work that could add up $.... seems like it is a wiring issue to me. bare wires ought to be covered. either by jacket or tape. the multimeter/ohm meter will help you a lot with continuity checks of the wiring. the grease for electrical fittings will also help out. as far as big hands, i sometimes put the battery on the ground and run longer wires to the ground/solenoid so i can get my hands in there. just a thought.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:58 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

5 Quarts! My 2001 450ES Foreman took only 2. My truck only takes 6. Are you talking about the Rubicon?