Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Automatic transmission Longevity questions??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taxman
Do you have to be able to do an engine rebuild to change the angle sensor? I can do casual maintenance like change a spark plug, change the oil---and I do on my 250ex. Where can I get the factory service manual?
If you can change spark plugs, check valve gaps and stuff, you can replace an angle sensor no problem.

There's a number in the owner's manual to order a factory service manual, or you can get one from the dealer, or Amazon, and lots of other places. The factory manual will describe how to diagnose a shifting problem, how to repair or replace what the problem is, and how to clear trouble codes and/or initialize the computer if needed in clear and easy to understand language.

This forum is also a great resource if you have a problem. I'm just a shade tree mechanic, and there are some real experts here who will help out with the tough questions.

I also find taking care of my own stuff to be rewarding, in addition to saving money and saving the hassle of getting it to a dealer and scheduling work.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by JeffinTD
If you can change spark plugs, check valve gaps and stuff, you can replace an angle sensor no problem.

There's a number in the owner's manual to order a factory service manual, or you can get one from the dealer, or Amazon, and lots of other places. The factory manual will describe how to diagnose a shifting problem, how to repair or replace what the problem is, and how to clear trouble codes and/or initialize the computer if needed in clear and easy to understand language.

This forum is also a great resource if you have a problem. I'm just a shade tree mechanic, and there are some real experts here who will help out with the tough questions.

I also find taking care of my own stuff to be rewarding, in addition to saving money and saving the hassle of getting it to a dealer and scheduling work.
I've never checked valve gaps, but you guys on here probably could tell me how....

Old 05-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've got an instructional video series on youtube for the procedure on a Rincon, and on a Foreman.

Most Honda utilities are pretty similar.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by JeffinTD
I've got an instructional video series on youtube for the procedure on a Rincon, and on a Foreman.

Most Honda utilities are pretty similar.
Can you post the link?

Old 05-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Old 05-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by taxman
That is GREAT to hear, specta. Are you talking about the 2001 rubicon in your signature? 14,000 miles??? wow...

Yep, this has been an excellent ATV. I've replaced some suspension parts and a few plastic parts
but nothing engine, trans, drivelines or differentials.

I just put on my 7th set of tires. Tires seem to be about the only thing I can wear out.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:24 AM
Trailblazer
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Specta

Yep, this has been an excellent ATV. I've replaced some suspension parts and a few plastic parts
but nothing engine, trans, drivelines or differentials.

I just put on my 7th set of tires. Tires seem to be about the only thing I can wear out.
awesome...